BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Kickstarting Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Farrell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone! I've never contributed to a Kickstarter but I've been thinking about it recently. I'm thinking about Kickstarting Myth (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/myth-0). It looks really sweet and the publishers are located in my state.

Those of you who have Kickstarted something before, has it been a good experience for you? One worry I have is backing it and, since I won't get anything until next year, I'll lose interest and not want it or something. Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and go for it. How long did you take to decide before you backed something? Any relevant general information I need to know before my first Kickstart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using kickstarter since 2011 and have supported 97 projects http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/982419100?ref=bggforums check out some of the game projects

I've had one bad experience so far with games, Who's for Dinner? I have no idea what happened on this one as the creator has been MIA

Other than slow communications from several other game projects, the experience has been pretty good overall.

I got to meet a few of the designers last year and play demos of the games with them at GENCON so that was pretty cool.

You definitely have to set realistic expectations, this isn't a pre-order and in most cases you are helping a new designer publish their very first game, so shipping dates are a rough estimate, even industry veterans like steve jackson games ran into delays with their project.

For the most part 98% of the project creators are fairly open with their communications on their projects and if there are delays they are pretty good about giving reasons as to why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
97?!?!? Wow. That's quite a few. How much money have you spent on Kickstarter games? And how many of those games do you rate at an 8 or higher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually studied Kickstarter for a few weeks first,...

I focused on board games and miniatures,... Researched previous projects,... Read about ones that succeeded, ones that failed,... The few that had problems, etc.

The thing to keep in mind is that it is not a regular purchase or a preorder as stated,... Look for ones with updates, read the comments, talk about them here on BGG,..

With regard to Myth, I have known and been a customer of the MERCS guys for a few years now. They have been great to deal with,.. Accept feedback from their customers, and if you followed the Myth KS, you'll see that they also make adjustments based on the customer feedback.

Check out the game,... The gameplay videos,... Early sculpts and art,... If you like the game, I'd say go for it. It looks like there will be lots of future expansion, so I plan to be playing for years and years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
97?!?!? Wow. That's quite a few. How much money have you spent on Kickstarter games? And how many of those games do you rate at an 8 or higher?

Not all of the 97 are games and even in the games category there are a bunch of projects where I just pledged $1 or $5 to support the project and there are a few that just weren't successful.

Projects where I have pledged at a level to get a copy of the game are
Castle Dash
Frankendie
Pizza Theory
Omen A Reign of War
Lemonade Stand
Agents of Smersh
Exile Sun
Farmaggeddon
Gunship First Strike
Cartoona
Colossal Cave
Tahiti
Serpents Stone
Jungle Ascent
Storm the Castle
We Are Dead
Boss Monster
Zogar's Gaze
Geek Dice
Walk The Plank

And this has been spread out since 2011

regardless of where they came from, I haven't rated that many games 8 or higher out of the ones I have listed in my collection.

I did give Gunship: First Strike! a 10
Empires of the Void, Agents of SMERSH, Omen: A Reign of War and FrankenDie a 7

These are my initial ratings and I tend to go back an re-adjust my ratings as I play the games more and if I run into any issues with game play, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kickstarter is a great alternative to the standard game market. I think of it like a big country fair. You can find hand made unique games, or junk. The key is to remember that most of these are made by "noobs." So its not unusual to get games that arent fully polished, maybe the components didnt work out or you get printing errors. Usually games arrive months later than promised. And if it is a successfull game you can usually buy it cheaper online.
The advantage is that you can help fund a niche game that might not normally make it to market. Most ks games dont sell a lot, so you also tend to have a more unique game collection, which can be fun. Every once and a while you might even stumble upon a great game. Heroes of the Multiverse is one of the preeminent hero card games out there, and it came through ks.
Just remember that add ons are usually just "fluff" to make you overpay for the base game.

I think the adage "trust but verify" applies to KS. I usually dont buy something without seeing the rules and a gameplay example.

poliorcetes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice topic. I will give you a bit of advise from a designer's perspective and a publisher that uses KS (Plague, Zogar's Gaze, and just launched Tasnia) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243534184/tasnia.

If the game you are thinking of backing is by a designer/publisher that you have never heard of, or if it is their first campaign, make sure they offer downloadable rules and have a tutorial video of some kind. In my first campaign for Plague the Card Game I made sure to reach out and get unbiased reviews from trusted sources. I suggest this to all first time KS users. Plague was reviewed by The Gamer's Table, Fathergeek, The Dicetower, and Game's Magazine. This made my game credible. So, if you are thinking of backing a game by someone running their first campaign ask to see a review or suggest they send it out for review.

In the case of Myth, I think you have little to worry about.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.