Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Post - campaign questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciej Krok
Poland
flag msg tools
Hi guys.

After finishing my first campaign (2 heroes won only 3 single encounters, losing all the quests, including the first one), I met a couple of unclear rules I want to consult with the community. I've already checked Adam and Justin Sez's FAQ, which actually confused me a little, so here's where I'll start:

1. Answering the question about spending surges on a missed ranged attack, they answered: "If this is referring to not rolling enough range, then yes you can spend the surge", but half a page later, on a question about shadow dragon, shield bash and rolling just one surge, for a statement "I think he cant spend surges if the attack miss but I want to confirm it" they answered "You are correct, the Knight could not spend the surge because the attack would be considered a miss". I totally don't get this one. If you don't roll enough range, you miss (keeping in mind you can spend surges to get +x range with your weapon), which means you can spend the surge. If you don't spend the surge on shadow dragon (or otherwise just roll X) you miss, which means you can't spend the surge. So my question is: if the attack is an unavoidable miss (I spent all I could already, but it's still a miss), can I or can't I spend the unused surges?

2. Using OL's card, Bloodlust, I wonder what comes first: my monster being defeated, or my ability to add reinforcement "at the end of turn"? If monster dies prior to bringing reinforcements, It would mean I can use the same figurine to reinforce, effectively putting him back to game almost the exact moment I lost him, right? Ofc. no additional turn for him, but still... Am I right?

3. As an Overlord, is there any way I can allow my stunned monster to make any attack/move/action this turn, other than removing stun, by use of my cards? If yes, which cards should I use?

4. If hero is in front of a master cave spider and wants to past him, and all the tiles he crosses are adjacent to a spider, does he have to spend 3 stamina to be able to do so?

5. Can I use a skill/item/feat marked with an arrow symbol (special action) twice in my turn, assuming I don't need to exhaust the card it comes from? Same question goes with OL, can my elemental use, let's say, fire twice?

6. Moving shadow dragon, when I interrupt a move action to make an attack, am I really allowed to cross a total of 7 tiles with it, assuming I'm moving in a straight line and positioned it correctly both times, even though shadow dragon has only movement 3? If yes, are there any widely accepted house rules to counter this?

7. If heroes or a monster blocks the portal/entrance/exit completely and OL is allowed to reinforce in this scenario, can OL still reinforce through completely blocked portal/entrance/exit?

EDIT: 8. If hero dual wields weapons, can he attack with both hands using only one attack action? If yes, should dice roll be cumulative from both weapons in this case?

9. Playing as a necromancer, can my puppet skeleton move at all (action, any special ability), or am I forced to re-cast it next to me after I make a move in order to move it?

10. I figured out a potent combo and I wonder if it works: playing as Runemaster, posessing the skill that allows me to consider any weapon as it was rune, exploding rune skill and dawnblade. Let's say I'm surrounded with hoards of enemies. Can I use exploding rune to attack with dawnblade, use surge to mark two targets, making two explosions and potentially hitting all the monsters around me once and two of them twice (choosing N-S or E-W enemies)? Is that a legal move? What would happen if I'm in a blast range of my own explosion? Do I take damage like monsters? And do I wound other heroes in a blast radius as well?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Maciej Krok wrote:

1. on a question about shadow dragon, shield bash and rolling just one surge, for a statement "I think he cant spend surges if the attack miss but I want to confirm it" they answered "You are correct, the Knight could not spend the surge because the attack would be considered a miss". I totally don't get this one.

The Knight did not roll an "X" therefore he can spend surges on the attack. Period. However, the Shadow ability requires that he spend a surge on that or else the attack will be considered a miss anyway. The answer is poorly worded, but the net effect is "the Knight is allowed to spend his surge, but if he doesn't spend it on the Shadow ability then the entire attack will be wasted."

Maciej Krok wrote:

2. Using OL's card, Bloodlust, I wonder what comes first: my monster being defeated, or my ability to add reinforcement "at the end of turn"? If monster dies prior to bringing reinforcements, It would mean I can use the same figurine to reinforce, effectively putting him back to game almost the exact moment I lost him, right? Ofc. no additional turn for him, but still... Am I right?

I think you meant "Blood Rage" not "Bloodlust." Both are valid names of Overlord cards, unfortunately. =P

In answer to your question, all "at the end of turn" effects are resolved in the order of the active player's choosing (yours, in this case) so yes, you could immediately reinforce the monster defeated by Blood Rage if you wanted to.

Maciej Krok wrote:

3. As an Overlord, is there any way I can allow my stunned monster to make any attack/move/action this turn, other than removing stun, by use of my cards? If yes, which cards should I use?

Firstly, Stun only removes one action from the affected figure. After the first action is spent removing Stun, the figure may use its second action freely. This has been clarified in the official FAQ.

Secondly, I'm not sure off the top of my head if there are any Overlord cards that can help you out here, but what you're looking for is something that can remove "a condition" before the monster begins its activation.

Maciej Krok wrote:

4. If hero is in front of a master cave spider and wants to past him, and all the tiles he crosses are adjacent to a spider, does he have to spend 3 stamina to be able to do so?

He needs to suffer a point of fatigue for each space that is adjacent to the cave spider he moves through yes.

Maciej Krok wrote:

5. Can I use a skill/item/feat marked with an arrow symbol (special action) twice in my turn, assuming I don't need to exhaust the card it comes from? Same question goes with OL, can my elemental use, let's say, fire twice?

In general, yes you can use the same Action twice as long as you don't need to exhaust the card. Regarding the elemental, no you can't use Fire twice because Fire is an attack and the rules say a monster figure can only make one attack per turn. (Heroes are allowed to attack twice though.)

The elemental could, however, use Earth or Water twice in a turn, as these are not attacks. There's not much point in using Air twice, but it's technically allowed.

Maciej Krok wrote:

6. Moving shadow dragon, when I interrupt a move action to make an attack, am I really allowed to cross a total of 7 tiles with it, assuming I'm moving in a straight line and positioned it correctly both times, even though shadow dragon has only movement 3? If yes, are there any widely accepted house rules to counter this?

Yes, the Shadow dragon is really allowed to expand during interrupt and then re-shrink in such a way as to gain extra spaces. I'm not aware of any "widely accepted" house rules to the contrary, but there have been some suggestions. Read around.

Maciej Krok wrote:

7. If heroes or a monster blocks the portal/entrance/exit completely and OL is allowed to reinforce in this scenario, can OL still reinforce through completely blocked portal/entrance/exit?

Yes. The OL places his reinforcements in the closest legal position to the location he is supposed to reinforce from.

Maciej Krok wrote:

EDIT: 8. If hero dual wields weapons, can he attack with both hands using only one attack action? If yes, should dice roll be cumulative from both weapons in this case?

You cannot attack with two weapons in a single action. You must pick one or the other. There are a couple of abilities that provide an abstract bonus for having two weapons equipped at once, but nothing that properly allows you to attack with both weapons.

Maciej Krok wrote:

9. Playing as a necromancer, can my puppet skeleton move at all (action, any special ability), or am I forced to re-cast it next to me after I make a move in order to move it?

The Reanimate is allowed to make one Move and one Attack action per activation, and it may be activated either before or after the Necromancer has conducted his own turn.

Maciej Krok wrote:

10. Can I use exploding rune to attack with dawnblade, use surge to mark two targets, making two explosions and potentially hitting all the monsters around me once and two of them twice (choosing N-S or E-W enemies)? Is that a legal move?

The special ability of the Dawnblade allows you to "affect" an additional monster adjacent to you. It does not make this second monster a "target." The Blast ability "affects" all spaces adjacent to the "target" of the attack. In short, you would not create two explosions, only one centered around the original target. The secondary monster would be affected by the same attack, but it would be him alone.

Supposing for a moment that you were able to generate "two explosions" however, the entire attack is still resolved as one effect, after all affected spaces are identified. A space is either affected or not affected, there's no such thing as "affected twice." Therefore, any monsters covered by "both" explosions would still only be affected by the attack "once." but, as mentioned above, you don't actually get "two explosions" from this combo.

Maciej Krok wrote:

What would happen if I'm in a blast range of my own explosion? Do I take damage like monsters? And do I wound other heroes in a blast radius as well?

Blast affects all figures in the affected area, friendly or enemy. So yes, you and any other heroes in affected spaces would take damage from your own attack just like the monsters involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5. Yes for heroes and SOMETIMES for monsters.

As long as it it NOT an attack you can use it twice. So if you have:

"Arrow: heal adjacent monster" then you can do it twice.

If you have:

"Arrow: perform an attack targeting 2 heroes" then no, because that action is an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Krok
Poland
flag msg tools
Stewi wrote:

I think you meant "Blood Rage" not "Bloodlust." Both are valid names of Overlord cards, unfortunately. =P

That's exactly what I meant, sorry for confusion. I am using Descent 2e in polish language version, so I was forced to guess the original name :-/

Are you sure about stun? My version says something like: "special action symbol: throw away this card or token. That's the only action you're allowed to take during your turn, if you posses this card or token". I was thinking: action + action = turn. So it should be "halved", like first action: using the special effect. Second action: since there is no more stun card, proceed as normal? They should at least make a gap (like empty line) between first and second sentence to make it more clear IMO. Is english description the same?

ps. heroes I was playing against lost all the quests, even though they were using stun as I thought it's correct (removing stun marker takes entire turn) and one of them was playing Ashrian ;-) Is two-heroes game really THAT unbalanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2-hero game is severely advantageous to the overlord, so yes, it's 'THAT unbalanced' for 2 heroes.

Stunned's English wording is: "Action: Discard this card or token. This is the only action you may perform on your turn while you have this card or token."

The 'while you have this card or token' is there to point out that the effect only lasts while you have it.

If you get stunned after you've taken your first action but haven't yet taken your second action, you have to use your second action to remove Stunned.

If you got stunned outside of your turn, then when your turn comes up, your first action is to get rid of the card. Since the card is no longer on your board, it no longer applies, and thus gives you your second action.

Yes, I agree, it could have been worded better, such as "Action: Discard this card or token. This must be discarded before you can take any other actions."

Or something to that effect. It's wordy, but not quite as confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Maciej Krok wrote:
throw away this card or token.

Wow, they really want to gouge you to buy more stuff, huh?

I don't have anything useful to add to this; the other guys pretty well covered it. The only thing I can say is, yes, we are sure that Stunned only takes away one action. You can check the official FAQ to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Krok
Poland
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your help ;-)

ps. Is Descent: 2e played by forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If you go to the forums and hit the "Play by Forum" link, you'll see the games that have run/are running. Also, on the main Descent 2e BGG page is a link to the wiki to sign up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Krok
Poland
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
Maciej Krok wrote:
throw away this card or token.

Wow, they really want to gouge you to buy more stuff, huh?

Nah, I really just hate this card angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.