Line Dice» Forums » General

Subject: What's your opinion of Packaging? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
When I considering packaging for my Line Dice, I considered alot of possibilities. I thought about a cardboard tube, a wooden box, a tin... but I eventually decided a lower cost and simpler plastic bag would be enough. The packaging, which you can see below, is designed to hang from a store hook, show off the dice, and clearly show the limited edition, signed certificate on the back.

My question to you is, should I have gone for something more complicated?

Do you think elaborate packaging more than makes up for a $5 to $10 higher cost?

Bear in mind that a wooden box or tin would most likely obscure the dice entirely. I think the appearance of the dice themselves is a high selling point. Of course, maybe I could get a window installed in either of those boxes...

Also, when you use the dice, you'll most likely just want to pile them into a one of those pull-string dice bags. Those fit easily into a pocket, take up a minimum of space, make less noise, easier to pack around, ect. So even if the dice had a fancy box, you wouldn't necessarily *USE* the box.

-----------

Just for reference, Line Dice does include a Velvet Drawstring pouch. It's just not in the package. I include one with everything internet order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like that solution. I'd rather not pay extra for a box, especially one that doesn't look to be generally useful for storing/carrying the game around, and which I would either discard, or burn shelf space on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what you have pictured above is quite good. Clean, simple, and shows off the game quite well. An over elaboration of packaging, in my small opinion, would have detracted from the overall effect of seeing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always think a box will help justify a slightly more fetching price tag. I'm a huge dice lover. Let's look at this example;

I paid $20AUD off the shelf for Zombie Dice, which as pretty much all of us know comes in a tube. I don't mind paying that price for what essentially is a short game with only 13 dice.

On the other side, I paid $40AUD off the shelf for Chupacabra: Survive the Night. Comprising of only 24 dice, the game is of slightly longer length. The pricetag I find is justifiable based on it's packaging and presentation.

The solution it offers as well, is the window that is used on the box which does show off the dice. This is something nearly any other dice game I've purchased has not offered. Cthulhu Dice does come in a clear windowed package but once you open it your are left to find a new home for the game (a draw string bag, normally).

I prefer a box, but that's my opinion. In fact I'd be more inclined to purchase a game if it comes with a box as I don't like to have to find my own package. I also like people to be able to peruse my collection of games looking through boxes, not wondering what is in a dice bag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
In my opinion the packaging should suit the games price tag. For up to 10 or 12 euros i am fine with almost any packaging, provided it contains a permanent storage solution. Hive Pocket did this very well. Cheap plastic retail package with a nice bag for the tiles once the game is opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the choice pictured woks well for the product. Clean and effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
dagibbs wrote:
Personally, I like that solution. I'd rather not pay extra for a box, especially one that doesn't look to be generally useful for storing/carrying the game around, and which I would either discard, or burn shelf space on.

I know the feeling. I have alot of very lovely gameboxes from Fantasy Flight and others. They are wonderful works of art, I want paintings of these boxes on my walls.... and I kinda want to throw them all away. They are $40 to $60 boxes, so I can't bare to discard them, but they are taking over my 1-bedroom apartment. I can't help but think of the TV Show "Hoarders".

I've regularly reduce games I play frequently to just a few plastic bags and card boxes, so I can haul them around to my game meetings.

Is everyone interested in function over form? Of course, we would all prefer both, but if push comes to shove, do you appreciate a large, pretty box, or a compact and extremely functional bag or case?

If it came down to a vote, it looks like "Small and Compact" is winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
sturner wrote:
Go with a Plano box. They are only a couple of dollars.

O Plano boxes, how do I love thee?

LoL, Line Dice is so small it could occupy a *corner* of some other game's tackle box! You could tuck it into the corner of a Plano box for Catan and play it well you wait for people to show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Selling it without providing any way to store it after you open the wrapper seems like a bad idea. I'd be a little annoyed when I went to put it away and realized there wasn't a bag or box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
Mohrlock wrote:
I always think a box will help justify a slightly more fetching price tag. I'm a huge dice lover. Let's look at this example;

I paid $20AUD off the shelf for Zombie Dice, which as pretty much all of us know comes in a tube. I don't mind paying that price for what essentially is a short game with only 13 dice.

On the other side, I paid $40AUD off the shelf for Chupacabra: Survive the Night. Comprising of only 24 dice, the game is of slightly longer length. The pricetag I find is justifiable based on it's packaging and presentation.

The solution it offers as well, is the window that is used on the box which does show off the dice. This is something nearly any other dice game I've purchased has not offered. Cthulhu Dice does come in a clear windowed package but once you open it your are left to find a new home for the game (a draw string bag, normally).

I prefer a box, but that's my opinion. In fact I'd be more inclined to purchase a game if it comes with a box as I don't like to have to find my own package. I also like people to be able to peruse my collection of games looking through boxes, not wondering what is in a dice bag

All good points. You can't put Line Dice on a shelf as it is. I have been including a velvet bag with purchase, just because I don't like the idea of forcing people to get their own.

How do you feel about a bag with a silk-screened logo on it? Is that slightly better?

I've never understood why Cthulhu dice doesn't include a little rolled up bag in the corner of that blister pack. It looks like there's space for one. It did encourage me to buy a large stuffed Cthulhu head which I keep the dice in though. The marketing genius of Steve Jackson at work! He sold me on a stuffed Cthulhu head!

So you really like that large Chupacabra box? I like their window, I would definitely get a box with a window, if I get around to investing in large boxes. (Or even small boxes... I'm leaning towards small boxes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
borgfather wrote:
In my opinion the packaging should suit the games price tag. For up to 10 or 12 euros i am fine with almost any packaging, provided it contains a permanent storage solution. Hive Pocket did this very well. Cheap plastic retail package with a nice bag for the tiles once the game is opened.

I was just saying that to Mark! A silk-screened bag would be pretty nice. I've been including free velvet bags with Line Dice sales, but they don't have any logos on them.

Would a silk-screened logo printed on a velvet bag justify a $2 price increase? Or do you think the simple, basic black velvet bags are good enough? (they are free, at this point..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The packaging (i.e. the dice themselves) is fairly striking and will catch the eye - which is a good thing. The only problem is where does a customer go from there? It seems there's no room for text to describe the sort of game within.

Or is that on the back somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
Josephus wrote:
The packaging looks really smart but it would prevent me from making the purchase. I need somehwere to store the game and with your game once I open the game I'm stuck. If this is the way you want to go then you should include a draw string logo bag in the packet.

In addition, because most games come in a free standing box most game stores are designed to display this type of product. I can imagine many stores not taking your product simply because it would be a pain to display.

Well, the game hangs from a hook, so a store would just put it up on a hook like any other hanging merchandise. I've only sold a few to one local game store though. It's not because of lack of interest, it's just that I've been doing pretty well selling them online, so I haven't been bugging anyone else to carry the game. "Cold-Calling" store owners I don't know and asking them for time to demo the game is rather painful and embarrassing. I'm not the best salesman, lol.

I do include a free velvet bag with purchase. It doesn't have a logo on it though. My sister has been trying to design a more elaborate bag, but it's going to add at least $5 to the cost.

What do you think? Free, bland, black, velvet, pull-string bag? Or $5 denim bag with button snaps and a nice silk-screened logo?

Or $10 for a tin box with a little window?

How much is too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
The packaging (i.e. the dice themselves) is fairly striking and will catch the eye - which is a good thing. The only problem is where does a customer go from there? It seems there's no room for text to describe the sort of game within.

Or is that on the back somewhere?

Yah, it's on the back. Sorry I didn't have a picture available until now, I've been meaning to add one.

Here, I just uploaded this picture to the Line Dice website (http://worldwidechaosinc.com). This is what the back looks like:

There's a blurb about the game, and the signed, numbered certificate.

That is something else that a new box won't allow. You wouldn't be able to see the certificate. I'm not too sure how much anyone cares about the number of their Line Dice, but I thought it might be a nice way to thank those that helped in the early days of my game's development... you know, should it ever take off *BIG* in the future. It's my first publicly released game, so who knows where this will lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a graphic designer myself, making parkaging artworks are a huge part of my everyday job and of course, for that reason, packaging it's probably more important to me than it is for the average gamer.

In this particular situation I think what I would have done, since we cleary see the product in the clear plastic bag just under, is that I would have made a really contrasted packaging with the black product showed below (red?), to add some punch and to separate the product from the packaging. At the moment, it looks a bit confusing to me.

But I would have threat a completely closed box in which we can't see the product at all exactly as you did for you hanging card. Hummm black box, its always looks nice and class.

Its just an opinion, based on nothing else other than a quick look at a picture of your product. This said, what you did is not bad at all, in fact its actually looks pretty good.

By curiosity, have you considered a blister card? Or a square plastic box with an insert sheet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Briggs
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The question becomes, will I sell more with a different package design and make more money or does this package suffice and turn the profit I need because the cost of packaging is passed on to the consumer so will they pay for the bigger, brighter, better or do they just want to enjoy an awesome game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walter,

Is the plastic bag resealable (e.g. ziplock)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would have been the price to include a small black fabric bag with cords? I don't know where your game is product and packaged but its probably really cheap.

Another idea: package them in a dice rolling tray. A wooden tray with felt inside, all dice aligned in it with a clear plastic cover and a sticker label. Having a box thats double as dice rolling tray would justify a slightly higher price, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
MaxSMoke777 wrote:
borgfather wrote:

I was just saying that to Mark! A silk-screened bag would be pretty nice. I've been including free velvet bags with Line Dice sales, but they don't have any logos on them.

Would a silk-screened logo printed on a velvet bag justify a $2 price increase? Or do you think the simple, basic black velvet bags are good enough? (they are free, at this point..)

Shure, with the bag it may cost a bit more, but that is reasonable. The logo on the bag would be a must for me, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaxSMoke777 wrote:
Well, the game hangs from a hook, so a store would just put it up on a hook like any other hanging merchandise. I've only sold a few to one local game store though.

Most of the gaming stores I go to don't hang products from hooks. Or if they do it tends to be snacks or accessories and not full games. The games are typically boxes on shelves. So this seems like and odd packaging choice for most gaming stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
neverlooz wrote:
As a graphic designer myself, making parkaging artworks are a huge part of my everyday job and of course, for that reason, packaging it's probably more important to me than it is for the average gamer.

In this particular situation I think what I would have done, since we cleary see the product in the clear plastic bag just under, is that I would have made a really contrasted packaging with the black product showed below (red?), to add some punch and to separate the product from the packaging. At the moment, it looks a bit confusing to me.

But I would have threat a completely closed box in which we can't see the product at all exactly as you did for you hanging card. Hummm black box, its always looks nice and class.

Its just an opinion, based on nothing else other than a quick look at a picture of your product. This said, what you did is not bad at all, in fact its actually looks pretty good.

By curiosity, have you considered a blister card? Or a square plastic box with an insert sheet?

Well I've had this idea floating around in my head for a small tin box. It would be painted black, with my Line Dice artwork and logo floating around the edges, and a window in front so you can see the dice. So it wouldn't quite be a basic black box, but it would be close. If done right, it should still be very classy. Small though, maybe 5" by 5", since the dice themselves lineup in a nice 6 by 6 grid.

But like Bob says, "Is it worth it?". Would people pay more for the same game in a fancy box? A box which is going to cost me %50 of the total cost of the dice themselves.

Or... just stick with the plastic bags and toss in a Velvet bag for people to keep them in?

Tin boxes aren't that expensive (50 cents to $1), but you have to make *ALOT* of them. The minimum order is around 5,000 units. But I only, currently, have 180 more packs of dice to sell. So, as you can imagine, that's quite alot of extra boxes. I'd have to make at least 9 more runs of the dice, which I'm currently selling at the rate of, maybe, 1 per day. So I'd be selling Line Dice for over 13 years before I would run out of boxes.

Of course, this all changes should I make some kind of major breakthrough in sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Walter,

Is the plastic bag resealable (e.g. ziplock)?

Yes, it's resealable, but you don't need to use it that way. Although the dice fit perfectly in the bag (4 x 9 grid), I've been including a free velvet pull string bag with every internet sale, just so you don't have to worry about the plastic bag.

I wouldn't leave you stuck with a cheap sandwich bag as the only means to hold your dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaxSMoke777 wrote:
I do include a free velvet bag with purchase. It doesn't have a logo on it though. My sister has been trying to design a more elaborate bag, but it's going to add at least $5 to the cost.

What do you think? Free, bland, black, velvet, pull-string bag? Or $5 denim bag with button snaps and a nice silk-screened logo?

Or $10 for a tin box with a little window?

How much is too much?

Personally, I'm buying the game not the packaging. Most of the kvetches here about packaging is that it takes up too much room / there's too much air. What you've done is minimalist, visually appealing, and effective. I would just go with what you have. You're much more likely to turn-off would-be consumers with a higher price tag than you would be to lure them in with some more elaborate storage. At the end of the day, they're dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
neverlooz wrote:
What would have been the price to include a small black fabric bag with cords? I don't know where your game is product and packaged but its probably really cheap.

Another idea: package them in a dice rolling tray. A wooden tray with felt inside, all dice aligned in it with a clear plastic cover and a sticker label. Having a box thats double as dice rolling tray would justify a slightly higher price, no?

Well, I think I'd have to include at least 2 dice trays to do it that way, since players have separate dice piles. Check out this video and you'll see how the game runs:

The game supports up to 6 players, so the question would become, "Who gets the dice tray?".

Also, when ordered on the internet, I've been including a free velvet, pull-string bag. I just can't fit those bags into my hanging packages for store purchases, as the baggie is too tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.