Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again to Scott "Tox" Morris for nominating me for Geek of the Week. The video below is an introduction to our next super awesome choice for Geek of the Week, along with a confession on 2 Truths and 1 Lie.

It gives me great pleasure to introduce to you,

J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
My past is nothing special, I was born and raised on Krypton..errr… I mean here in the US, specifically Southern California and have lived here most of my life, 37/40 years to be exact. I have had my share of relationships over the years including, one failed marriage. But alas, I prevailed and found the love of my life in the most unlikely of places, Upper Deck. My current wife and I have been married for 4 years and have the best two kids we could ask for. I won’t bore you with the details there but they are twins and are named after Wolverine and Optimus Prime. We both work in the Entertainment industry, ill dig more into my past in a bit , but I think it is funny that she deals with DC Comics in a big way and I work with MARVEL. It makes for interesting conversations to say the least.

I spent most of my childhood/teen/adult yrs as a video game and music connoisseur, self imposed title and in my house it gets no better than the Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl is the man! I have been an avid fan of video gaming since I can remember and I have had almost every system from a Magnavox Odyssey to current gen systems. In doing so, I found a very fond love of the RPG genre, Phantasy Star 2 was first RPG that I have played, it was not easy to the noob btw, and I loved it. Anyone who has ever had the pleasure of spending time with that title knows how rewarding it was to finally see the end. I can remember days in High School when I would be staring at the clock just waiting to go home and grind out more levels to be able to pass some random boss. Good times. From there I started to get the itch that I may want to work in the video game industry in some capacity. At that time home PC’s were a big ticket luxury item and home internet was nonexistent, but I was able to convince my folks that it was a good investment for the family, meaning me only. When we did get one, I spent my time writing up what I thought were very profound letters to the likes of Nintendo and Sega, the big two at that time. I wanted them to know that I could pass any level in Sonic in record time as well as finish Zelda 1&2 without having to look up hints in my coveted copies of Nintendo Power.

Jumping ahead to my early twenties, my love of video games never died, in fact it grew exponentially, and often times pulling all nighters to finish any title I was playing at that time. I still hadn’t conned my way into the industry but it wasn’t for a lack of trying. I even tried working at local game shops as I figured there had to be the equivalent of a sports scout that would one day walk into my store and witness the vast amounts of knowledge I had on Virtua Fighter 2 and hire me on the spot for some exec level job at EA. Well that never happened. But what did happen was one day my shop received a copy of some type of Star Wars game from a company I had never heard of, “Decipher”. Being a lifelong fan of the property, probably don’t have to quantify that but just in case it isn’t clear, I am a huge SW fan boy, I suspiciously inspected the “Introductory Two Player Card Game” and admittedly had no idea what I was looking at. Nonetheless it was Star Wars and I had to have it. Keep in mind this was the 90’s, or as I like to call it, the dark time after Episode VI and no mention of prequels were even hinted at so anything SW was a good thing. I ended up buying the set and took it home to inspect. I was intrigued as “Games” to me were either video games or Monopoly. I didn’t quite understand what I was looking at but it seemed like something my inner RPG fan could get behind. I read through the rules several times and started to get a grasp of what the game was. I was once again without a PC and by now the internet was something that I could of at least searched for a how to play chat room, but I had to resort to playing out the game myself. Rodney Smith, I could have used you back then! I finally got my comfort level up enough where I felt I could explain the game to my two roommates and so I began setting up the scene in anticipation of my first game with other people.

I came prepared as my roommates were casual video gamers and had no idea, as I did, that this even existed so I had to make sure I presented it properly.
Step 1: Beer, Heineken to be exact and a case of it from our local Costco.
Step 2: Food, well I blew my wad on beer so there was no food. Crap!
Step 3: lay out the game and the components so they could immediately know this was Star Wars and by default, a great thing.
My first roommate got home and noticed that I had purchased the case of Heineken, and then noticed the game. Go figure. I started to show him what it was and explained that it was a card game and we were going to battle it out in an epic head to head fashion. He was interested and we started looking through the cards and I explained that there were effects that each card had and that you had to make sure to take them into account when playing, etc. From what I could tell, he was totally on board, I had sold him immediately. I started setting it up and he stopped me to ask, what would end up being the question that killed the entire experience, “Where’s the board”? I looked at him and said there isn’t a board; we make a play field with the cards. Him, “I don’t get it”. Me: “Dude, trust me, you don’t need a board, it will be fine”. This went on for some time, maybe because of the beer or maybe he just couldn’t get away from the fact that this wasn’t Candyland, no offense to Candyland. About 30 minutes later it was a lost cause and we just watched Cannonball Run or something and drank until our other roommate got home. By then the game sat alone in our unfurnished dining room for a few days until I packed it up and put it on the shelf. That was my introduction to this industry.

Jumping ahead several years, still determined to be in the video game industry, I saw a job posting at a company called Upper Deck. I knew them from the baseball cards that were produced on the 90’s, my shop carried them, but noticed something different about the job posting. It was for a “Game Support Rep”. “Game!!” Ok, I’m in. I applied and got an interview with some of whom I am still friends with. I was asked questions of my gaming history of which I granted them the knowledge of my video game skills. I told them I had played several card games on my Neo Geo Pocket, which I was sure would wow them as well as Phantasy Star Card Battle on my Game Cube. In my opinion, I nailed it, let’s be honest. When I didn’t get the job, I was pretty stunned, I mean I am a gamer and I am really good, right? Nope, they were looking for Yu-Gi-Oh! Players. Yu-Gi-Oh! What the hell is that? Well I can say without a shred of indecency, the job went to a couple of great guys.

However, even though I didn’t get the job, I persisted, because I really liked the environment that I saw. I bugged the manager I interviewed with every Monday for 6 months, no exaggeration, until one day he told e that he had passed my info onto someone looking for an Organized Play position. OP? What the hell is that? It didn’t matter, I interviewed again and blew the interview, I sucked. I had no idea what OP was and certainly never played in a local event. A week later, I got the job, who knew. I was on the, what at that time, was the start up OP team for UD in 2004. I stayed with that team for several years making some lifelong friends and getting to know the industry that I didn’t know existed outside of my two player Star Wars card game. Not going to brag, but that team rocked. We put on events all over the world and never looked back, times were indeed good.

It was now 2010 and something interesting happened, I got a call from Sony to possibly come work for them in their local San Diego studio. Wait, did I just get a pseudo offer to work in the Video Game industry, why yes I did. Coincidentally, at that time, UD was, well, restructuring, and I looked at Sony as an opportunity that may never again present itself. I took the offer and started working in the industry that I had been passionate about all my life.

When I was laid off a year later, I was pretty shocked; the economy had taken its first major turn downward and wasn’t looking good. My boys were about to be born and something needed to happen, quickly. This is where it gets interesting. One day I got a call from Upper Deck, the voice on the other line told me that they were re-opening the entertainment side of the business and wanted someone to come in and run Marvel. Before the previous restructure, I had moved into that role at UD and was handling A Marvel Miniatures game as well as a few other titles. I came in and talked to them and long story short, I was the Entertainment Brand Manager once again.

I came in looking to reboot OP, bring back R&D and grab my old office. Didn’t happen, the company relocated to a new building and there was no OP in sight as well as the aforementioned R&D team. There was me and two other gents that were the “Entertainment Team”. Uphill battle was never more appropriate. Nonetheless, we persisted and were turning out trading card products.

Now even though I had spent years on Op and was back in the saddle again, I never really got the itch for tabletop gaming. No real reason other than I was really only around TCG’s and wasn’t a competitive player so I just didn’t get the itch. Then about a year ago, I was introduced to a game called “Thunderstone”, you may have heard of it.  I was playing at lunch with the group here and immediately was hooked, the inner RPG player was in love with the fact that I was dungeon crawling and leveling up my characters, this was my thing. It was that moment, that game; that I fell in love with tabletop gaming. My hat is off to my friends at AEG, you made a fan for life. There had to be more, so I immediately started my research and started purchasing the original set and its expansions. From there, the floodgates were opened; I was playing miniatures games such as Descent, Dust Tactics and Mage Knight! My Amazon wish list was growing exponentially by the day as I feverishly read BGG to find reviews and feedback from games that looked interesting to me. I now have a regular pal that I play with at home and he has also drunk the Coolaid ™ and his collection dwarfs mine. Presently, my collection is approx 40 strong and growing. I have found that my top love seems to be deck building followed by miniatures board games, Mansions of Madness, I’m looking at you. And of course all sorts of other types, drafting, and area control, etc.

So that brings us to today, I’m happy to say that Legendary is alive and doing great and was born out of those lunchtime sessions. UD is picking up steam every day and the team is putting out some amazing stuff. I’m sure I left out some key details and facts, but this is getting long and I bet your attention spans are running short. I will leave you with this one nugget of info. The board in Legendary, why is it there, you don’t “Need” it to play the game, it helps but can probably be played without it. Well, if you remember my roommate that didn’t want to play Star Wars without a board, that’s why. This isn’t a knock on that game, I did end up playing years later for a very long time at my kitchen table and really dug it, and this is just a cautionary tale of learning from events that happened in my past. I never want someone new to the industry to be turned away because they don’t think they can get into it for whatever reason, so if I can prevent that, albeit on a small scale, then so be it.

Commencé au festival!

Poll
2 truths and 1 lie
2 Truths and 1 Lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
1. On a guess, I opened the 3 number safe combination in the game MYST on my first try.
35.2% 37
2.I own a Rocket Firing Boba Fett action figure.
23.8% 25
3. I once won a contest to name the GI. Joe action figure/animated movie Character, “Nemesis Enforcer”.
41.0% 43
Voters 105
This poll is now closed.   105 answers
Poll created by greyelephant
Closes: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:00 am

There's some awesome stuff in that bio! Let's get kickstarted with some questions.

d10-1 I heard that Cable is your favorite Marvel character. Why?
d10-2 You've been thrust into the Marvel universe. Name the top 3 abilities you would want your character to have?
d10-3 Living in California, have you ever went surfing or scubba diving?
d10-4 Foo Fighters, YES! Favorite song?
d10-5 I read in your bio you like Thunderstone. I too love that game. Name the number one hero you would never pass up on when available?
d10-6 With all you years of video gaming. Which system would you say is your favorite of all time? Why?
d10-7 You named your boys after Wolverine and Optimus Prime. First off, AWESOME! Second, did you have to convince your wife or was she totally on board?
d10-8 You wife is a DC fan? Who is her favorite character and why?
d10-9 If you could choose one super power, what would it be?
d10-1d10-0 Shigeru Miyamoto called you and wants your opinion on what the next Legend of Zelda game should be. What would you say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your week.

My question relates to your love of video games. Did you own and/or play the Panasonic 3DO system? Any thoughts about the system if you did have experience with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jason! I'm a huge Legendary fan, so thanks for all your work on that. I can hardly wait for the expansions. I look forward to playing Silver Surfer's "Power Cosmic" card for some massive attack.

I really enjoy the mechanics of Spider-Man's cards in Legendary, but he's probably the most controversial hero in the game. Some have theorized that Black Widow's and Spider-Man's card effects were actually swapped at some point in development because Black Widow seems to fit better thematically with Spider-Man's card effects and vice versa. Is there anything to that? How did you and/or Devin Low decide on Spider-Man's abilities in Legendary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Who would win in a fight, Martin Wallace or Vlaada Chvatil?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice! Tim's been a great geek of the week and I'm sure this week will be Legendary Jason's a great guy and someone that brings a lot of passion and hard work to the industry and hobby!

My Questions for Jason:

d10-1 I'm sure your wife and you discuss this, but who would win in the following battles...
1Wolverine vs Lobo
2Captain America vs. Superman
3Punisher vs. Batman
d10-2 What character(s) do you think Legendary can bring focus on that perhaps aren't mainstream, and do them justice?
d10-3 Do you have a favorite game artist?
d10-4 What's your favorite game mechanic?
d10-5 If you could take any board game and make it a video game, which would it be, and why?
d10-6 Have you guys ever thought about Legendary boosters, where it's a hero and their cards to add to the game, like one or two small packs in between large releases, to add to the choices?
d10-7 You and Dave Grohl sit down to play a game, which one and why?

PS - Cable is one of my favorites too, good choice!

Congrats again, looking forward to your week in the well deserved spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Congratulations Jason!
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jason! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have Netrunner in your collection. Which corp identity and which runner identity are your favorites?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyelephant wrote:
Thanks again to Scott "Tox" Morris for nominating me for Geek of the Week. The video below is an introduction to our next super awesome choice for Geek of the Week, along with a confession on 2 Truths and 1 Lie.

It gives me great pleasure to introduce to you,

J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
My past is nothing special, I was born and raised on Krypton..errr… I mean here in the US, specifically Southern California and have lived here most of my life, 37/40 years to be exact. I have had my share of relationships over the years including, one failed marriage. But alas, I prevailed and found the love of my life in the most unlikely of places, Upper Deck. My current wife and I have been married for 4 years and have the best two kids we could ask for. I won’t bore you with the details there but they are twins and are named after Wolverine and Optimus Prime. We both work in the Entertainment industry, ill dig more into my past in a bit , but I think it is funny that she deals with DC Comics in a big way and I work with MARVEL. It makes for interesting conversations to say the least.

I spent most of my childhood/teen/adult yrs as a video game and music connoisseur, self imposed title and in my house it gets no better than the Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl is the man! I have been an avid fan of video gaming since I can remember and I have had almost every system from a Magnavox Odyssey to current gen systems. In doing so, I found a very fond love of the RPG genre, Phantasy Star 2 was first RPG that I have played, it was not easy to the noob btw, and I loved it. Anyone who has ever had the pleasure of spending time with that title knows how rewarding it was to finally see the end. I can remember days in High School when I would be staring at the clock just waiting to go home and grind out more levels to be able to pass some random boss. Good times. From there I started to get the itch that I may want to work in the video game industry in some capacity. At that time home PC’s were a big ticket luxury item and home internet was nonexistent, but I was able to convince my folks that it was a good investment for the family, meaning me only. When we did get one, I spent my time writing up what I thought were very profound letters to the likes of Nintendo and Sega, the big two at that time. I wanted them to know that I could pass any level in Sonic in record time as well as finish Zelda 1&2 without having to look up hints in my coveted copies of Nintendo Power.

Jumping ahead to my early twenties, my love of video games never died, in fact it grew exponentially, and often times pulling all nighters to finish any title I was playing at that time. I still hadn’t conned my way into the industry but it wasn’t for a lack of trying. I even tried working at local game shops as I figured there had to be the equivalent of a sports scout that would one day walk into my store and witness the vast amounts of knowledge I had on Virtua Fighter 2 and hire me on the spot for some exec level job at EA. Well that never happened. But what did happen was one day my shop received a copy of some type of Star Wars game from a company I had never heard of, “Decipher”. Being a lifelong fan of the property, probably don’t have to quantify that but just in case it isn’t clear, I am a huge SW fan boy, I suspiciously inspected the “Introductory Two Player Card Game” and admittedly had no idea what I was looking at. Nonetheless it was Star Wars and I had to have it. Keep in mind this was the 90’s, or as I like to call it, the dark time after Episode VI and no mention of prequels were even hinted at so anything SW was a good thing. I ended up buying the set and took it home to inspect. I was intrigued as “Games” to me were either video games or Monopoly. I didn’t quite understand what I was looking at but it seemed like something my inner RPG fan could get behind. I read through the rules several times and started to get a grasp of what the game was. I was once again without a PC and by now the internet was something that I could of at least searched for a how to play chat room, but I had to resort to playing out the game myself. Rodney Smith, I could have used you back then! I finally got my comfort level up enough where I felt I could explain the game to my two roommates and so I began setting up the scene in anticipation of my first game with other people.

I came prepared as my roommates were casual video gamers and had no idea, as I did, that this even existed so I had to make sure I presented it properly.
Step 1: Beer, Heineken to be exact and a case of it from our local Costco.
Step 2: Food, well I blew my wad on beer so there was no food. Crap!
Step 3: lay out the game and the components so they could immediately know this was Star Wars and by default, a great thing.
My first roommate got home and noticed that I had purchased the case of Heineken, and then noticed the game. Go figure. I started to show him what it was and explained that it was a card game and we were going to battle it out in an epic head to head fashion. He was interested and we started looking through the cards and I explained that there were effects that each card had and that you had to make sure to take them into account when playing, etc. From what I could tell, he was totally on board, I had sold him immediately. I started setting it up and he stopped me to ask, what would end up being the question that killed the entire experience, “Where’s the board”? I looked at him and said there isn’t a board; we make a play field with the cards. Him, “I don’t get it”. Me: “Dude, trust me, you don’t need a board, it will be fine”. This went on for some time, maybe because of the beer or maybe he just couldn’t get away from the fact that this wasn’t Candyland, no offense to Candyland. About 30 minutes later it was a lost cause and we just watched Cannonball Run or something and drank until our other roommate got home. By then the game sat alone in our unfurnished dining room for a few days until I packed it up and put it on the shelf. That was my introduction to this industry.

Jumping ahead several years, still determined to be in the video game industry, I saw a job posting at a company called Upper Deck. I knew them from the baseball cards that were produced on the 90’s, my shop carried them, but noticed something different about the job posting. It was for a “Game Support Rep”. “Game!!” Ok, I’m in. I applied and got an interview with some of whom I am still friends with. I was asked questions of my gaming history of which I granted them the knowledge of my video game skills. I told them I had played several card games on my Neo Geo Pocket, which I was sure would wow them as well as Phantasy Star Card Battle on my Game Cube. In my opinion, I nailed it, let’s be honest. When I didn’t get the job, I was pretty stunned, I mean I am a gamer and I am really good, right? Nope, they were looking for Yu-Gi-Oh! Players. Yu-Gi-Oh! What the hell is that? Well I can say without a shred of indecency, the job went to a couple of great guys.

However, even though I didn’t get the job, I persisted, because I really liked the environment that I saw. I bugged the manager I interviewed with every Monday for 6 months, no exaggeration, until one day he told e that he had passed my info onto someone looking for an Organized Play position. OP? What the hell is that? It didn’t matter, I interviewed again and blew the interview, I sucked. I had no idea what OP was and certainly never played in a local event. A week later, I got the job, who knew. I was on the, what at that time, was the start up OP team for UD in 2004. I stayed with that team for several years making some lifelong friends and getting to know the industry that I didn’t know existed outside of my two player Star Wars card game. Not going to brag, but that team rocked. We put on events all over the world and never looked back, times were indeed good.

It was now 2010 and something interesting happened, I got a call from Sony to possibly come work for them in their local San Diego studio. Wait, did I just get a pseudo offer to work in the Video Game industry, why yes I did. Coincidentally, at that time, UD was, well, restructuring, and I looked at Sony as an opportunity that may never again present itself. I took the offer and started working in the industry that I had been passionate about all my life.

When I was laid off a year later, I was pretty shocked; the economy had taken its first major turn downward and wasn’t looking good. My boys were about to be born and something needed to happen, quickly. This is where it gets interesting. One day I got a call from Upper Deck, the voice on the other line told me that they were re-opening the entertainment side of the business and wanted someone to come in and run Marvel. Before the previous restructure, I had moved into that role at UD and was handling A Marvel Miniatures game as well as a few other titles. I came in and talked to them and long story short, I was the Entertainment Brand Manager once again.

I came in looking to reboot OP, bring back R&D and grab my old office. Didn’t happen, the company relocated to a new building and there was no OP in sight as well as the aforementioned R&D team. There was me and two other gents that were the “Entertainment Team”. Uphill battle was never more appropriate. Nonetheless, we persisted and were turning out trading card products.

Now even though I had spent years on Op and was back in the saddle again, I never really got the itch for tabletop gaming. No real reason other than I was really only around TCG’s and wasn’t a competitive player so I just didn’t get the itch. Then about a year ago, I was introduced to a game called “Thunderstone”, you may have heard of it.  I was playing at lunch with the group here and immediately was hooked, the inner RPG player was in love with the fact that I was dungeon crawling and leveling up my characters, this was my thing. It was that moment, that game; that I fell in love with tabletop gaming. My hat is off to my friends at AEG, you made a fan for life. There had to be more, so I immediately started my research and started purchasing the original set and its expansions. From there, the floodgates were opened; I was playing miniatures games such as Descent, Dust Tactics and Mage Knight! My Amazon wish list was growing exponentially by the day as I feverishly read BGG to find reviews and feedback from games that looked interesting to me. I now have a regular pal that I play with at home and he has also drunk the Coolaid ™ and his collection dwarfs mine. Presently, my collection is approx 40 strong and growing. I have found that my top love seems to be deck building followed by miniatures board games, Mansions of Madness, I’m looking at you. And of course all sorts of other types, drafting, and area control, etc.

So that brings us to today, I’m happy to say that Legendary is alive and doing great and was born out of those lunchtime sessions. UD is picking up steam every day and the team is putting out some amazing stuff. I’m sure I left out some key details and facts, but this is getting long and I bet your attention spans are running short. I will leave you with this one nugget of info. The board in Legendary, why is it there, you don’t “Need” it to play the game, it helps but can probably be played without it. Well, if you remember my roommate that didn’t want to play Star Wars without a board, that’s why. This isn’t a knock on that game, I did end up playing years later for a very long time at my kitchen table and really dug it, and this is just a cautionary tale of learning from events that happened in my past. I never want someone new to the industry to be turned away because they don’t think they can get into it for whatever reason, so if I can prevent that, albeit on a small scale, then so be it.

Commencé au festival!

Poll
2 truths and 1 lie
2 Truths and 1 Lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
1. On a guess, I opened the 3 number safe combination in the game MYST on my first try.
35.2% 37
2.I own a Rocket Firing Boba Fett action figure.
23.8% 25
3. I once won a contest to name the GI. Joe action figure/animated movie Character, “Nemesis Enforcer”.
41.0% 43
Voters 105
This poll is now closed.   105 answers
Poll created by greyelephant
Closes: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:00 am

There's some awesome stuff in that bio! Let's get kickstarted with some questions.

d10-1 I heard that Cable is your favorite Marvel character. Why?
- THats such a hard question to nail down a definitive answer to. I saw the cover of New Mutants #87 and something clicked with the image of Cable on the cover. From then on, I just resonated with his struggle and character development.

d10-2 You've been thrust into the Marvel universe. Name the top 3 abilities you would want your character to have?
- Easy, 1:Super Intellect. 2:Teleport. 3:Replication I can now be everywhwe and do everything at once.

d10-3 Living in California, have you ever went surfing or scubba diving?
- Scuba , yes . Surfing,no.

d10-4 Foo Fighters, YES! Favorite song?
- So Glad you asked. There's a song they do called "Fraternity", It has never been on an album, to my knowledge, but I love it. Likely because I'm against fraternities in general.

d10-5 I read in your bio you like Thunderstone. I too love that game. Name the number one hero you would never pass up on when available?
-I never passed up on a thief. Having other players discard was a key strategy for me.

d10-6 With all you years of video gaming. Which system would you say is your favorite of all time? Why?
-Hard to answer this because I am an early adopter of all systems and love each one for many reasons.. Even the short lived "Virtual Boy". There's a great story there btw. BUt I would have to say the SNES was near perfection. Legend of Zelda:A Link to the Past is my #1 title of all time.

d10-7 You named your boys after Wolverine and Optimus Prime. First off, AWESOME! Second, did you have to convince your wife or was she totally on board?
- Another interesting one. No, she didn't need convincing, she is a gamer and a lover of Pop Culture. That said, our original plan was to name 1(One) child "Logan Prime" also my 360 Gamer tag. But when we found out it was twins, we needed to spread the love around. SO we ended up with Hudson Prime and Logan Fox. The fox came from my absolute devotion to the X-Files.

d10-8 You wife is a DC fan? Who is her favorite character and why?
-Hands Down Wonder Woman. She just loves a powerful female character getting strong representation.

d10-9 If you could choose one super power, what would it be?
- Probably Flight, I freaking hate traffic.

d10-0 Shigeru Miyamoto called you and wants your opinion on what the next Legend of Zelda game should be. What would you say?
- First I would say, bout time man. Next I would say lets make a revolutionary new game, not an evolutionary one. Lets make a game with darker themes and a more mature look.

• [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tim, this is going to be a great week and I am very excited to follow in your footsteps. I remember that GenCon like it was yesterday and really look forward to catching up with you and other BGG members this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your week.

My question relates to your love of video games. Did you own and/or play the Panasonic 3DO system? Any thoughts about the system if you did have experience with it?

I actually did not own that one. I was very picky and choosy at that time in life, economics made it so. Also, I was totally burned by the Atari Jaguar. In any case, I did have a friend that owned one. The only game that was really good at that time was an iteration of SFII, cant remember, I think it was SSFII. I played and wasn't blown away only because the controller wasnt sufficient to really play.

I am a huge SFII player and take that game very seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Congratulations, Jason! I'm a huge Legendary fan, so thanks for all your work on that. I can hardly wait for the expansions. I look forward to playing Silver Surfer's "Power Cosmic" card for some massive attack.

I really enjoy the mechanics of Spider-Man's cards in Legendary, but he's probably the most controversial hero in the game. Some have theorized that Black Widow's and Spider-Man's card effects were actually swapped at some point in development because Black Widow seems to fit better thematically with Spider-Man's card effects and vice versa. Is there anything to that? How did you and/or Devin Low decide on Spider-Man's abilities in Legendary?

Great Question. Devin and I never had that conversation and I had actually never considered that point of view. I am going to ask him about that. Damn, now I am really curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Congratulations!

Who would win in a fight, Martin Wallace or Vlaada Chvatil?

Have to tip my hat to Vlad. Love that Mage Knight! But I think I would like to have Mike Elliott Ref the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxziq wrote:
Excellent choice! Tim's been a great geek of the week and I'm sure this week will be Legendary Jason's a great guy and someone that brings a lot of passion and hard work to the industry and hobby!

My Questions for Jason:

d10-1 I'm sure your wife and you discuss this, but who would win in the following battles...
1Wolverine vs Lobo - Wolverine... Always Wolverine
2Captain America vs. Superman - I think Supes.
3Punisher vs. Batman - Oh man, I hope Marvel doesnt read this thread..Batman

d10-2 What character(s) do you think Legendary can bring focus
on that perhaps aren't mainstream, and do them justice?
- I feel like you are baiting me into some spoilers. I think there is going to be a time we are going to need to start adding some of the more obscure characters in with the big hitters. Squirl Girl and Man Thing, I'm talking to you.

d10-3 Do you have a favorite game artist?
- Video Games - Mr. Miyamoto. Board games, Mike Elliott.

d10-4 What's your favorite game mechanic?
- Love to draft...Love it. It's so PvP in a glorious way.

d10-5 If you could take any board game and make it a video game, which would it be, and why?
-I hope you don't think this is a ploy, but Legendary. I need to play this on a plane.

d10-6 Have you guys ever thought about Legendary boosters, where it's a hero and their cards to add to the game, like one or two small packs in between large releases, to add to the choices?
-Yes...Yes I have.

d10-7 You and Dave Grohl sit down to play a game, which one and why?
-Sorry, my mind was just heavily blown...I feel like we are going to play a two player head to head style. I think either ST: Fleet Captains or Dust Tactics. I want to believe we are going to have an epic struggle of armies that takes days. Because you know, Im hanging out with Dave Grohl, I need to milk it.

PS - Cable is one of my favorites too, good choice!

Congrats again, looking forward to your week in the well deserved spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any UD '89 Ken Griffey Jrs laying around?

What is next in boardgaming for UD?

Favorite board game and fav non legendary card game from last year?

Punch or pie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see what's next from UD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jason!

Greetings from Denmark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulation Jason. Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I love the reason as to why Legendary has a board. Now if only the DC license had been grabbed by UpperDeck rather than Cryptozoic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Brenzor! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you come up with Brenzor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyelephant wrote:
How did you come up with Brenzor?

It was a name that one of my old comrades on the OP team said one day and it just stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
Do you have any UD '89 Ken Griffey Jrs laying around?

What is next in boardgaming for UD?

Favorite board game and fav non legendary card game from last year?

Punch or pie?

d10-1Yes..

d10-2 With new licenses come new surprises.

d10-3King of Tokyo & Mage Wars

d10-4 Pie, always pie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jason!

d10-1 Where in CA do you live? North, South or Central.

d10-2 Do you like any boardgames based on videogames?

d10-3 Do you like RPGs? Perhaps Marvel Super Heroes?

Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jason! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.