Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
82 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: As host, do you let people play your games when you are not playing it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they didn't bring any games, I would consider it quite rude to not let them play anything if you have a selection of games right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
A is the only answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I always try to get folks to confirm since I probably don't want more than 6 total (myself included) to show up, but that said, of course they can play whatever they want, they're games, that's what they're there for. I think it's weird to invite an undetermined number of folks to your place and then tell some of them to have a seat until you're finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
Games are, by design, meant to be played by actual people—not to be pristine curiosities at your estate sale.

Unplayed games are sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm hosting a games night it is nice if people bring games but I don't expect it, so A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
A - unless you'd rather they start watching a DVD or play video games and become unavailable when you wish to start the gaming session proper? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
If you answer B, I think you should expect those people to never return to your house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) You benevolently smile a brightest smile and say "Please, by all means."

I see no other way. If I'm looking to play something in particular I usually plan for that and the number of players and agree on a start time. If I put out a general call for a game night I expect people will show up whenever they can and jump into a game with whomever is available. If they didn't bring something along I certainly have plenty to choose from and I'll often even lay out a pile of games so people don't have to go rooting for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to several weekend-long boardgame playing sessions. 50 people coming. One guy brings Jungle Speed. Another one brings a chess set. A third guy brings Chez Geek. I bring 30 board games, from Power Grid to Battlestar Galactica, from Galaxy Trucker to Fury of Dracula. Of course I welcome people playing my games. I even take the time to explain the rules despite not being in the game. Why not? It is all in the interest of promoting the hobby and giving people a fun time.

I do have a couple of rules though:
(1) If you play my game, you bag the components and store them in the box immediately afterwards.
(2) If you damage my game, you are responsible for repairs or replacement.

...And that's it. And tell you what: I never had any problems. The games were returned to me in pristine condition.

Naturally, I always left my irreplaceable games at home. I mean, I play relatively loose with my games, but I am no fool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this even a question? A couple exceptions:

* Something like Risk Legacy (ok, explicitly Risk Legacy) where the board/components change on every play.

* Something old and valuable that you want to make sure people treat very carefully.

Other than that I can't imagine not letting people have at it (in fact I'll probably feel guilty I'm playing something else so can't teach).

Furthermore, this rule extends to when I bring games somewhere else (provided of course that I don't have to leave in a shorter time than I would expect the game to finish).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
If you answer B, I think you should expect those people to never return to your house.

I know I wouldn't. These are your friends right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:

Also don't be too surprised when you find a nice long scratch on your car the next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the space in my gaming basement is full with shelves and games; I can't house more than 6 people at my only gaming table.

Although, in your situation, I would pledge for A. You invited them meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If B is a serious consideration for you, then you should rethink hosting. As host you have an obligation to your guests that it seems you're not comfortable with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Is there actually a decision to make here? That would be like inviting people over for dinner then telling them they should have brought their own food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I expect people to want to play games and I'll go further: if you want to tear the plastic on one and get started, go ahead. Just realize I might ask you to teach me how to play it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do that at least twice a year when geeks/friends from other countries are coming over for a weekend of gaming. We are with too many to play one game together. But I do want to hear how the game should be played later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a very odd thread. I feel like if B is a serious possibility, you might as well go with:
c - Tell them to get out of your house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not 'as a host' but I have (during club meets) allowed people to play the odd game (such as Thunder Road) when I am playing something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reinikeek07 wrote:
A game night held in your house. You are the host.
You are not certain know exactly how many people will show up.
At first, you've got four people including you, so you start playing something.

Three more people later show up. They all have not brought any games.
They can see that you've got your games on your shelf.
They come to you, host, asking to borrow and play one of your games at another table.

What do you do?
a) You benevolently smile a brightest smile and say "Please, by all means."
b) You benevolently smile a brightest smile and reject it, apologising, since you yourself are not playing it.

I would go for the latter, but I feel like it is a wee bit weird to do that to people. What are your opinions? Also, are there any posts related to this topic? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

What an entirely bizarre thing to puzzle over. You're the host. If you can't bring yourself to let someone play your games *while still in the same house as them* you should never host a game night ever again.

I mean - is this a for real question for you? Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Holle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
This is basic social etiquette. Your job as a host (board game night or not) is to make your guests as comfortable as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Obviously A is the easy option. The scape goat answer that everyone will jump on because it just sounds so obvious. In line with that answer if anyone is super protective of their games and doesn't like answer A then they need to either only go to other places to game and only bring your game that you'll be playing yourself or be very strict on the number of people showing up to your place to game.

I thought we were a critical and analytical bunch here. To actually try to get some discussion going I'll say that I can see two legitimate reasons where B would be completely acceptable:

1. The game is unopened/unpunched. No one, and I mean no one, dechits my games but me. I'm anal as can be and I count every component so that I know that everything is there and in proper condition. Once past that stage I know that anything that happens to the components are my fault.

2. The game is a prized out of print or super expensive item. I could see people being very skittish about letting people play their Space Hulk or maybe that super expensive version of Acquire (sorry, my knowledge of Grail Games is very limited).

Please debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A big capital "A" for me.

Choose a game, take a seat and play! But guys, please, try to not fold the cards and spill beer on the components.

It will be my pleasure to let you play my games if you're my guest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:

2. The game is a prized out of print or super expensive item. I could see people being very skittish about letting people play their Space Hulk or maybe that super expensive version of Acquire (sorry, my knowledge of Grail Games is very limited).
Please debate.

I assumed in this thread we are talking about hosting a game night, and inviting responsible fellow adult gamers. If people I invite really want to play something like Space Hulk, I've got to assume they know how to play or are at least responsible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:
I thought we were a critical and analytical bunch here. To actually try to get some discussion going I'll say that I can see two legitimate reasons where B would be completely acceptable:

1. The game is unopened/unpunched. No one, and I mean no one, dechits my games but me. I'm anal as can be and I count every component so that I know that everything is there and in proper condition. Once past that stage I know that anything that happens to the components are my fault.

Please debate.

It seems like you're changing the question from, "Do I let them start their own game to, "Do I let them start their own game of this particular game" but I get it. Answer A is winning in a landslide.

In any event, for both your cases, I buy games to play. If it hasn't been played yet, then great! Let's crack it open. And if it's too expensive to trust other people to play, then it's no longer a game but a collector's piece and should be somewhere else (first and foremost not in my collection).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.