Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need Specific Recommendations From Experienced Gamers 6-p 45 min to 2.5 hours rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I have been around trying to help out with suggestions of my own, but maybe you guys have some good ones for me! I am looking for a game recommendation for my group of 3 gamer couples- so 6 players.
We do like strategy, but due to playing after work on Fridays and new babies, shorter play time has become desirable, as well. A 2 hour game would have to be engaging to all and satisfying with a single play in a day. 45 min to hour games could be played a few times in a session.

Here are a few of our thoughts about games:
Our current favorite is Race for the Galaxy +2 expansions (we play this more than once every week)
We have played some Puerto Rico and Fleet recently- They are short enough where someone wouldn’t mind sitting out, but deep enough where we are not bored. But we like RFTG better.
7 Wonders, Power Grid and Dominion we are completely bored with (Cosmic Encounter mostly bored)
We don’t want “gateway games” like Settlers, Carcassonne, Munchkin, Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo- too much random chance
Agricola and El Grande we like, but AP makes them too long in our playgroup (Lords of Waterdeep too)
We like Eclipse, but it is too long for our current situation now
Arkham Horror/D&D are too long now
The girls can’t stand RoboRally or Magic
I am trying to get everyone to try Battlestar Galactica, but worry it might be too long

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

I raise with The Resistance:Avalon.

Another possible: Panic Station (4-6).

With some practice a game of BSG can be played in 2-2.5 hours, especially/even with both expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Rex: Final Days of an Empire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Libertalia? It plays up to 6 and once everyone knows how to play you could probably get in a full game in an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
You want this:
*** Keyflower *** - I cannot recommend this highly enough. Once you have it down, it should take right around 2-2.5 hours with 6 players.

Other good 6P games, shorter play time:
Eketorp
Hoity Toity
Alhambra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may all be divorced by the end of the night, but a negotiation game like Lifeboats or I'm the Boss! would fit the bill. They play best with 6, are supremely engaging, and clock in at 60-90 minutes. They do have the risk of hard feelings though, so you'll have to gauge your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KemKat K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit
Elder Sign
Yggdrasil
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Railways of the World ... great for 5 to 6. But you need a big table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at VivaJava: The Coffee Game. We played a 7p game and it took us around 2 hours. The game handles that many player greatly.

Another one that I've recently played was Viticulture. A game about wine making. It handles up to 6 players, but so far I've only played it with 4 players.

EDIT: +1 for Keyflower. I enjoyed my 6p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Keyflower
+1 Yggdrasil
Libertalia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add another +1 to Keyflower

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winter Tales is a great, deeply immersive, storytelling game for 3-7 players, with variable duration, dependent on your own preference. It's my current favourite for this player count, but needs careful selection of players because it's not a comfortable genre for all gamers.

My go-to games for six are:

Dixit
The Resistance: Avalon
Dice Town with extension (might be too random for you)
Flash Point (a lot of downtime with 6 though)
Power Grid: First Sparks (might refresh your enjoyment of Power Grid, or might seem like a re-hash)
Formula De (luck-driven again!)
For Sale (probably too light for you)
Diamant (also light)
Keyflower (this is good and deep - worth considering)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express says it plays up to 6. I've played it with 4 in an hour, so I imagine it would still take less than 2 hours to play with 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 players in under 2 hours, no fillers, aka decent weight but not too long. That is a game that is tough to find and I've been trying to find lately myself.

The two best I have are:

VivaJava: The Coffee Game - This game is very original both in theme and in gameplay. It's a Euro with kind of a social party element and plays quickly.

Acquire - This is a complete classic standbye and is still one of the kings of quick, deep 6 player gaming.

Complete fail in our group:

Chicago Express - I got this game because it plays up to 6, but nobody liked the game with 6. With 4, it's good, but no-one enjoyed 6.

Filler length but amazing game:

For Sale - Every time I play this game I am more amazed by it. What a clinic on fun vs complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid: The First Sparks fits within that time frame with 6.

Also:
Bohnanza
Citadels

And though you ruled out Ticket to Ride, the 6-player Team Asia version makes it quite a different game than normal, I recommend you check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts so far (please let me know if I am mistaken):

Some games seem similar to games we already own and enjoy so I would hesitate buying them:
Resistance, Avalon and Panic Station seem similar to BSG
Rex seems similar to Eclipse
Have Arkham horror for Co-op, Flash point and Yggdrasil look less interesting and are also co-ops
Railways of the world just looks like a more intelligent Ticket to Ride, but train theme isn't that interesting to me anyway.

Too much random dice or draw?:
Alhambra, Elder Sign, dice town, flash point, formula De, dice town,

Don't really like trading as a major mechanic as it leads to kingmaking, also set collection doesn't interest me:
Bohnanza, Hoity Toity (lifeboats and I'm the boss sounds like kingmaking)

Have already and don't play that often:
Dixit, Citadels

Winter Tales sounds interesting, but I don't think this group would react well to unclear definitions of winning and also having to be creative after the work week on Friday.

Sounds like Chicago Express may be a good game that isn't as good with 6?

I have read reviews but am interested in hearing more about the positives and negatives of Libertalia, Eketorp, VivaJava, Power Grid First Sparks,

Sounds like I should definitely pick up Keyflower and For Sale(if For Sale isn't good for Game group it looks great to take to my Math class).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love your game. We have also considered buying another copy of Fleet and scaling it up to 6. Some people have had success in implementing that.

bno70_1 wrote:
6 players in under 2 hours, no fillers, aka decent weight but not too long. That is a game that is tough to find and I've been trying to find lately myself.

The two best I have are:

VivaJava: The Coffee Game - This game is very original both in theme and in gameplay. It's a Euro with kind of a social party element and plays quickly.

Acquire - This is a complete classic standbye and is still one of the kings of quick, deep 6 player gaming.

Complete fail in our group:

Chicago Express - I got this game because it plays up to 6, but nobody liked the game with 6. With 4, it's good, but no-one enjoyed 6.

Filler length but amazing game:

For Sale - Every time I play this game I am more amazed by it. What a clinic on fun vs complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I have a hunch that finding suitable games is going to be a real challenge given your specific stipulations. Why not just break into two smaller groups of varying size? You DO know this would help resolve your difficult hunt dramatically, yeah?

Just do it, trust me. Y'all can reconfigure any way you'd like, but I guarantee you will have way more satisfying options...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:

Some games seem similar to games we already own and enjoy so I would hesitate buying them:

The similarity ends at there being traitors, the above don't really play anything like BSG. (We also don't buy games that are close copies of the games we already have.) If your problem is that BSG takes too long for it to get played, why are you passing on shorter games that would actually get played? If you don't like the traitor mechanics, that is another thing.

Good luck with the search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
been playing Dune with the Dune: The Duel expansion lately ... though hard to come by well worth the cash required game can take 1 hour to 4 to play each turn could end it and the threats of "Kanly" duels throw so much humor into the mix it's quite engaging..

If your not up to mortgaging house to buy both of these oop games try Rex: Final Days of an Empire this rethemed take on dune is supposed to be fun ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
GrimThunderbrew wrote:

The similarity ends at there being traitors, the above don't really play anything like BSG. (We also don't buy games that are close copies of the games we already have.) If your problem is that BSG takes too long for it to get played, why are you passing on shorter games that would actually get played? If you don't like the traitor mechanics, that is another thing.

Good luck with the search.

Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions) is another decent traitor game which plays in your time-frame, with large numbers. It doesn't feel anything like the afore-mentioned games because of the tunnel-building maze-like aspects of the card-play, although the accusations are bandied about in a similar manner to BSG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Menozzi
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My absolute 6 player game, not too long and pretty easy to learn is Room 25

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my regular gaming group we do just that. However, this group is THREE COUPLES. The women do not want to be split up, and they do want to play with their husbands. We are all lucky these women are not afraid of heavier games and do not mind being out-strategized. I am sure there are other people in the same situation, including game designers.

We used to play D&D together, but babies have caused us to try and find somewhat shorter games. Your suggestion is good and what we do in my Saturday group, but unfortunately we are looking for something else for my Friday group.

pacman88k wrote:
You know, I have a hunch that finding suitable games is going to be a real challenge given your specific stipulations. Why not just break into two smaller groups of varying size? You DO know this would help resolve your difficult hunt dramatically, yeah?

Just do it, trust me. Y'all can reconfigure any way you'd like, but I guarantee you will have way more satisfying options...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrass wrote:
My absolute 6 player game, not too long and pretty easy to learn is Room 25

In suspicion mode it is great! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.