Subject: Wrong about the smaller team in Odd-#-player games: Still a loss? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
"So long, play actor!"
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is specifically for the dVg edition:

Say we're playing with an odd number of players. I think I'm on the smaller team, so I decide to declare victory. I name myself and one other player as being on the same team, and it turns out we both have one of the required items to win. Hurrah!

But wait, after everyone else reveals their loyalties, it turns out that we were actually part of the larger team. Since the larger team is required to have 3 objects, is our win now a loss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
touchstonethefool wrote:

Say we're playing with an odd number of players. I think I'm on the smaller team, so I decide to declare victory. I name myself and one other player as being on the same team, and it turns out we both have one of the required items to win. Hurrah!

But wait, after everyone else reveals their loyalties, it turns out that we were actually part of the larger team. Since the larger team is required to have 3 objects, is our win now a loss?

It is a loss. When you declare victory, you have to name yourself and any other player(s) of your team and tell how many victory items you have combined. You can not hope for anybody else to reveal him/herself as part of your team and add a needed item. If you were the smaller team, you would have won, 1+1 plus the... what's it called in English? The Power something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
"So long, play actor!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
When you declare victory, you have to name yourself and any other player(s) of your team and tell how many victory items you have combined.

Actually, you don't need to say how many objects each player has, you only need to select people who hold at least one object.

Pedrator wrote:
You can not hope for anybody else to reveal him/herself as part of your team and add a needed item.

Obviously: once you declare and name, that's it. It's just that under most circumstances, any false assumption on the part of the person declaring usually means a loss: Pick someone who's not on your team, loss. Pick someone who is on your team but doesn't have any objects, loss.

But because finding out whether your team has the greater/lesser number of players could conceivably be an "after the fact" reveal (i.e., after you declare victory, name players, have named players reveal hands, determine victory based on revealed information), you could be entirely correct in your assumptions up to the point where it would normally be clear which team won, but then you find out in the cleanup that, no, you actually were wrong.

I guess the more pertinent question is, when do you check during the final reveal process to see which team had more players and which had less?

Pedrator wrote:
If you were the smaller team, you would have won, 1+1 plus the... what's it called in English? The Power something?

In the specific version I'm talking about (dV Giochi), they did away with the "Drink of Power" cards and simply made it a rule that, if you're playing with an odd number of players and you're on the smaller team, you only need two objects to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kumar
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
touchstonethefool wrote:

I am not sure what the confusion is about. It was NEVER a "win". It was an attempt and in the end fell short due to lack of information. If that would have been a victory then that completely ignores the rules for an odd number of players. Those rules are there to balance the game. It's supposed to be harder for the team with more players. The team with more players cannot, under any circumstances, win with only two items.

Hope that helps.

We always try our best not to play with an odd number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.