Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes Ware
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I have the 2 core sets and all the AP's published so far, but have been putting off playing it until enough hero choices were available that would allow for a faction-specific deck to be costructed...and one that passes muster and has a real chance of beating the scenarios.

For example, I'm going to try to start with an all elf hero set for the mirkwood cycle (King Thranduil would never tolerate a dwarf or human being sent to do an elf's work)

Has anyone already attempted such a feat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's a known fact that with the KD cycle and the Hobbit boxes, building a dwarven deck is both easy from a thematic point, and very powerful in terms of capabilities.

Other than that, you can build themed decks, but they often tends to be either weak on theme or weak on power :
- Rohan has lot of cards, but right now they are underpowered. Strong on theme, weak on power.
- Gondor will gets better with the HoN cycle but it's not out yet. Right now it's even worse than Rohan.
- Elves are too few to build a full decks out of them, but they are individually very very strong. Most elven card are just great (Legolas, Gildor, Elrond's council,...). However, there aren't many cards that ties them together to form a thematic deck. So, strong on power, weak on theme.

Note that this is a generality, maybe someone did manage to put some deck as awesome as the dwarven ones, but it's much harder to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I generally agree with the previous post.

He left out an Eagles deck, which developed during the Mirkwood cycle. It works best as a pure Tactics deck, though and is more of a support deck than one that can stand on its own.

I think Rohan is better than Ksempac made it sound. Nowhere near as strong as the Dwarves, but decent. At the time, people seemed to think that was the way to go to beat Escape from Dol Guldur. I always found it thematically odd, though, that at the same time they were doing Mirkwood quests, they were developing Rohan decks.

-TR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.