David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of half session report half strategy, but probably more strategy and squad building than anything else.

I played in the Adepticon X-wing tournament on Friday. I did well and learned a few things, but most of what I learned is there is no supper squad. Lots of people have been asking about what is the best squad now, and I can definitely say with certainty that I don’t know.

In my Tuesday league I play with a guy who went up to Fantasy Flight a weekend or two ago to play in the Game of Thrones weekend. He talked with a couple guys there who were either play testers for X-Wing or maybe just played it a lot. They said that so far, the best squad they had found was a 2 Falcon squad. I tossed the idea around in my head and play tested a few scenarios but I wasn’t convinced.

When I got to the Adepticon tournament I saw at least two different 2 Falcon builds. There was a rumor that those two guys were from Minnesota and somehow connected with FFG, but I don’t really know. I really wanted to play against one of those lists, but I didn’t get the chance.

I was flying:
Howlrunner + Swarm
Backstaber
Sabre + Stealth + PTL
Alpha
Alpha
99 pts

In the first round I played against Chewie and 2 Red Squadron pilots. Before we even started playing he admitted to me that this was his first tournament and he hadn’t played much. He had decided to put stealth on Chewie, so I knew he was relatively new to the game. I lost three ships and finished with a healthy Sabre and Backstaber.

My second round matchup was against someone flying 3 Y-wings. I asked what he had played against in the first round, since he must have obviously won. He said it was a 5 ship Imperial list similar to mine. I had a good strategy against him engaging him at range three first to strip shields off of one Y-wing without taking any hits myself, and then I swooped in closer to finish that ship off before it could fire in the second round. He decided to focus fire with his remaining two Y-wings instead of spreading out the Ion tokens. I took out the second Y-wing on the third round of combat and Dutch went on the fourth round. He did take out one of my ships, but he had 3 proton torpedoes that he never got a chance to fire.

Playing next to us was a friend from my league. He was flying Dutch, 2 Rookies, and the Outer Rim Smuggler +Falcon. Many people commented on how unique the squad was. It was the only ORS at the tournament. He was busy killing a 7 TIE swarm. At the end he had lost 1 X-wing, and the Imperial player only had Backstabber left. Ever since the first tournament we both played in, my friend (Kyle) and I always joke that we were destined to play each other early in tournaments, insuring one of us wouldn’t advance. And even though there were now 9 undefeated people in the tourney, we knew would get matched up . . . and we did.

He routed me. He didn’t lose a ship and I lost everything. We both agree why it happened. I fly with 99 points to insure initiative. I use it to plant one of my Alphas directly in the path of their formation and it worked great so far for me. Kyle flies a clever formation with the ORS out front and the X-wings and Dutch in formation behind. It makes sure the ORS gets 3 attack dice, and since he evades with him every turn, he ends up effectively having the same hitpoints as one of the named pilots. I saw that if I could get the ORS to crash, it would create a pile up behind, preventing Dutch from passing target locks. In the opening salvo, I did a crit to the ORS that reduced its pilot skill to 0. That would be crippling on Han, but on the ORS, it allowed him to move first. I stupidly did crazy maneuvers with all my ships to avoid the inevitable collision and 3 of my five ships didn’t have a target on the second round of combat. He killed 2 while I did no damage and the route was on.

In my 4th game I flew against 4 X-wings and lost only 1 ship. I needed to make up for my terrible flying in the game before and I did. Kyle ended up playing against one of the 2 falcon builds and lost without taking down either of the ships. I overheard the tournament organizers say how surprised they were that when the top two players played, it was such a route and I had this sinking feeling that maybe there was an elite build. If Kyle couldn’t do 13 damage to one ship with 1 defense when he easily mopped up my 15 hit points who each had 3 defense and often took the evade action, then there might be a broken build.

There was a glut of people at 3 and 1, but since my only loss was to the second ranked player, I made the top 8 and they had a sudden elimination bracket with the top 8. As it turned out, the second 2-falcon build finished in 8th, so the 2 friends had to play each other. I faced off against the 7 TIE swarm Kyle had beaten previously and lost. He had some pretty good defense rolls and I got 2 double damage criticals at some very inopportune times (like there is ever a good time) and I lost. I felt pretty silly afterwards since my opponent said he learned most of his formation flying from reading the articles I posted. Serves me right I guess. But my squad was designed to kill Rookie X-wings (firing order) and to kill the Falcon. It doesn’t pair up as well against an Imperial swarm.

Kyle ended up losing to a 5 ship Imperial squad made up of Vader and 4 TIEs. We were both kind of shocked that he could beat a 7 TIE swarm easily, but lost to a 5 TIE swarm. Especially since the 7 TIE swarm was flown very well (at least it was against me).

In the second round, the 5-0 2-Falcon build lost to a 5 ship Imperial squad made up of Soontir, Turr, Backstabber, and 2 Academy TIEs. Not only did the 2-Falcon squad loose, but from what I saw, the Imperials only lost 2 ships (Backstabber and an Academy I think). Before the match the Imperial player was grumbling that he had spent a ton of points in his build to get out of his opponents’ firing arcs, and now he had to face 2 Falcons. But he won.

I didn’t stay to see who won, but it was definitely someone who had lost earlier in the tournament, so no build or player dominated. I did hear from someone that there was a 2 Firespray list, but they didn’t make the top 8 so they probably lost twice. I found the weaknesses in my build. It was designed to do a ton of damage in the first two combat rounds and then be maneuverable after that. But if I fail to kill off enough ships in those first two rounds, then I’m in trouble. The 28 hit points Kyle ran was the most in the tournament and my squad couldn’t handle it. Once I start to lose ships in the second round, and I break formation from Howlrunner, my damage output plummets. And when facing the 7 TIE swarm, I ended up doing a lot of overrun damage. I shot at a TIE with 1 hitpoint left and did 4 damage. He didn’t even need to roll. Against an X-wing or a Falcon, that attack would have been more valuable. But with so many expendable ships, my powerful attacks weren’t as useful.

It might be the Holy Grail, but I will continue to search for the “Perfect” build. Chances are, as soon as we find it, Wave 3 will come out and FFG will just laugh at us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report all around.

Although you didn't get to play against any double-falcon builds, do you have any idea which ships & upgrades they were using?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your experiences and thinking. I really appreciate finding out what happens when someone (whose thinking and opinions on list-building and other aspects of strategy I greatly respect) actually puts their builds out into the wild of a tournament setting, and comes back with an honest assessment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The winner of our regional ran 2 YT's. He used Chewie + VI + Gunner + Falcon and Lando + Gunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
Great report all around.

Although you didn't get to play against any double-falcon builds, do you have any idea which ships & upgrades they were using?

Don't get any ideas mister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report David. It is nice to hear about a tournament with a fantastic turn out like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Walker
New Zealand
Tauranga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report.

The great thing about this game is that by the time you build a squad and test it and then read a few session reports it always comes back to a complete re-design of your squad or just a few little upgrade adjustments.

For me opponents are few and we can't get together that often so I’ve got a huge amount of fun building and tinkering with squads and not actually playing huge amounts of games. Some squads still just exist on paper.

However a new regulator get together is just on the horizon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While my own experiences would also indicate that there doesn't appear to be any "dominant" builds, this could of course mean several other possibilities:

(1) There could be a strong Rock-Paper-Scissors dynamic between lists. If true, one consequence of course is that large tournaments are somewhat determined by the luck-of-the-draw and players who get paired against good match-ups for their list while avoiding bad match-ups will be at a huge inherent advantage.

(2) Luck (aka the dice) has a significant enough impact on the game that player skill and/or list strength can't carry the day. God knows if a TIE Swarm player is rolling relatively hot on his Green dice then he's basically unbeatable. If he rolls poorly on Green dice at the start, it's basically game over out of the gate.

If either of the above turn out to be true (and I'm certainly not convinced they are, but they are things I'm mindful of and on the look out for), then it would have negative implications for the competitive aspect of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Moving my session report over from another thread)

I made it to the semis with the 7-tie swarm described in piqsid's post. I was running Howlrunner + Stealth, Backstabber, 1x Black Squadron Pilot + Draw their fire, and 4x Academy Pilot (100 pts).

Round 1: Beat Chewie and Lando with various accoutrements. The tie swarm proved to be an excellent YT beater, with Backstabber shining. Three ships lost. My opponent was one of the 2 dual-YT players described above, who ended up getting in as 8th seed and made it to the semi-finals. 1-0

Round 2: Lost to Kyle's ORS, Y-Wing, 2x Rookie build. My opponent successfully avoided the swarm's focus fire and managed to take out about a tie a round. 1-1

Round 3: Beat another big two ship build, Boba and Bounty Hunter both with Heavy Laser canon and gunner. Focused fire on Boba took him out after four rounds and then it was a clean-up job. One ship lost. 2-1

Round 4: Beat a Han Shoots first variant - Han with Marksmanship, Gunner, and two Y-Wings. The swarm disintegrated the Y-wings in the first two rounds and then it was just a hunt the nerfherder session. Two ships lost. My opponent was 3-0 before the match and ended up being 4th seed. 3-1

Quarterfinals: In the top 8 I took out piqsid's list (whose fantastic maneuvering articles taught me most I know about this game) in a mirror match. It was an epic battle which my swarm deserved to lose; it all came down to a couple of pieces of bad luck in the endgame.

Semis: the swarm was taken out by a Vader+missiles+squad leader, Howlrunner, Mauler, Backstabber, and Obsidian pilot build. It was a game that I probably should have won, with my swarm denying Vader and crew all of their actions for the first five rounds (!), but ultimately some clever play by my opponent and bone headed bones on my part was the swarm's downfall.

Here's some pics from the match with piqsid. The opening sequence: he setup up on the other side of the board, and I constructed the two column 7 tie setup. All ships are in range 1 of Howlrunner, positioned in column 2, row 3; her BSP body guard is directly behind her; Backstabber is to her left, and the 4 Academy ties take the lead.

Here's the move after that: after a left bank 3 from the swarm the two squads have converged. They focused fire and destroyed Interceptor #3, the interceptor rocking the PTL and Stealth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the posts, guys. I think it's fun to see people running Wave 1 builds that are still viable (or at least Wave 1 ships with a few new upgrade cards).

That shows the depth of balance in the game. But having wave 2 as well makes for so much more variety in tournament lists, compared to the Wave 1 only lists! Just think of the variety that we will be seeing in lists by Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
Great report all around.

There are a couple options:

Han + Lando leaves you 10 extra points.
I've seen Han with Marksmanship + Gunner + Falcon and Lando with VI.

I think one of the Lando + Chewie builds (14 extra points) had PTL on both of them (Lando is going to be doing greens anyway), gunner on one of them and Falcon on Chewie. PTL + Weapons engineer is also nice, giving you TL + Focus every turn, but only stressing you out every other turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the New England regionals to date there have also been a wide assortment of lists making it into the top brackets. The game developers have done a super job!

For folks looking for the 'super list' the answer is -- build the one that best suits your playing style. That may not even be anyone else's list. If you take somebody else's list but don't fly it to it's best advantage, then the list itself isn't going to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report...

Having fallen out of love after being a huge SW fan for most my life, I've been avoiding this game for fear of falling in love with it.

This report has me seriously wanting to try it now. Seeing those character names...seeing those ship names...has me reminiscing back to the days of playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter on my pc...

So how much would I need to spend to get into the game? No sugar coating now...hit me with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Great report...

Having fallen out of love after being a huge SW fan for most my life, I've been avoiding this game for fear of falling in love with it.

This report has me seriously wanting to try it now. Seeing those character names...seeing those ship names...has me reminiscing back to the days of playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter on my pc...

So how much would I need to spend to get into the game? No sugar coating now...hit me with it!

Get a couple of base sets.
No more than one TIE Advanced.
No more than one Y-Wing.
At least one of each X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions for the pilots/upgrades.
One YT
One Firespray
A-Wings and TIE interceptors to taste.
And a nice starfield mat to play on.

No idea what that would cost in your neck of the woods but it's probably what youll end up buying if youre a SW fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:
Great report...

Get a couple of base sets.
No more than one TIE Advanced.
No more than one Y-Wing.
At least one of each X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions for the pilots/upgrades.
One YT
One Firespray
A-Wings and TIE interceptors to taste.
And a nice starfield mat to play on.

No idea what that would cost in your neck of the woods but it's probably what youll end up buying if youre a SW fan.

Cool thanks. A mate has 1 base game so I can try the very basics with that to see if there is enough going on to suck me in. Then of course I need a couple pals to come along for the ride or there isn't really any point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Great report...

You can be smart about it at first to try what you like, but if you like it,you will want to spend more. $100 at first to try the game out, and thenanother $100 to get to where you want to be. Rebels are cheaper than imperials as their ships cost more points in game. You will still want to buy others, though, to get the cards in each set.

I say find a friend & split the costs between Rebs & Imps.

As for the overall thread, its great to see that there isn't "the build".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Great report...

In my first game I played against someone who was new to the game, and it showed because he only had three of each dice, which meant he didn't buy 2 core sets. He didn't need to.

Decide which faction you want to play. If you want to play rebels, then buy 1 core set, 1 X-Wing expansion, 1 Falcon, and the dice expansion. Retail this will cost $93. Online this will run about $70. This will let you run the Falcon and 2 X-wings, which is easily the most common Falcon build. There are lots of variations to run from Han fully loaded with 2 Rookies, or Lando, Wedge, and Bigs, or many other variations.

If you want to play Imperial, I'd recommend a Base set, 1 TIE expansion, 1 Interceptor Expansion, the TIE Advanced, Slave 1, and the dice expansion. This is two more expansion than the Rebels, so it will be $24-$30 more expensive, but you get more ships. With three TIEs, an Interceptor, and Vader, you can run an effective 5 ship list, and with Slave 1, you can mix up a lot of options.

For the Rebels, you can also buy a Y-wing and an A-wing, but in the tournament I described above, I don't remember seeing 1 A-wing among any of the 36 lists. I think it's sad, but understandable. The Y-wing was well represented, but the X-wing was far more popular for the Rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hodgson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
I was flying:
Howlrunner + Swarm
Backstaber
Sabre + Stealth + PTL
Alpha
Alpha
99 pts

Saber pilot has a single Pilot/Medallion upgrade available so if PTL is used , what is Stealth ? Am I missing a card or something ? I couldn't find a card upgrade with stealth on it .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth is a ship modification card. It is in the Firespray expansion. Each ship can have one modification card (Shield Upgrade, Engine Upgrade, or Stealth Device) in addition to the upgrades listed on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hodgson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes ! cheers Todd . I figured it was something like that . The Firespray is the last ship I need and then I'll have a copy of everything so far .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wade p
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
armoredgear7 wrote:
Great report all around.

I ended up in fourth and best rebel player. My list was different than my friends who favored push the limit on both his pilots.

My List:
Chew
-gunner
-falcon
-draw their fire

Lando
-gunner
-nien numb
-vet instincts

I had a lot of fun and everyone I played was super awesome! theres a lot of great players and I hope to see them at worlds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
msg tools
The list I took was:

Soontir Fel
-PTL

Turr Phennir
-Stealth
-Veteran Instincts

Back Stabber

Academy Pilot x 2

In general I found that this list did very well handling lists comprised of fighters. The two interceptors both have options to make up to 3 maneuvers per turn and with backstabber there are 3 ships that usually generate 3 or more attack dice.

Rnd 1 I squared off against a friend of mine with a Firespray, Soontir Fel and a another Tie (forget the variety). Admittedly he hadn't played many games and had cursed dice. Result - Win

Rnd 2 I drew a mixed rebel build. My memory is failing me on details on this one. Result - Win

Rnd 3 I drew the first of the two dual YT1300 builds. I was looking to flank with backstabber and the interceptors but the other player was more aggressive then I anticipated. On turn 2 he was pouring fire into my ties and I watched my squad disintegrate in a matter of turns. Result - Loss

Rnd 4 I drew a Rebel player with a straight X-wing build. He admitted that he had only played a handful of games prior to the event. After a few turns of throwing the Academy pilots in the movement paths of his X-wings he realized the tactic. At this point though the Interceptors and Backstabber had gotten behind him and the inevitable was unavoidable. I could tell he was a little put off by the whole thing. The ability to manipulate position with 2 PS 9 interceptors combined with move blocking ties can leave a player feeling like it is a very one sided game. Result - Win

Semi's Rnd 1 Rebel build with 2 Y-wings and a YT-1300. I pushed a flank a took out a Y-wing in the first exchange and left his other Y-wing hung on the other flank. Thanks to ridiculous speed the interceptors hopped to the other side of the board to take out the second Y-wing and then I focussed on the YT-1300. Result - Win

Semi's Rnd 2 Played Wade (Dual YT build). Looking at this game with the fresh perspective of having just being wiped off the board by a dual YT build a few hours earlier I was feeling less than confident. Indeed I recognized that a ton of my points were spent on "dancing" out of fire arcs with the two interceptors and that meant nothing going against 2 YT's. It was late and I decided to throw caution to the wind and charge the YT's. The first few exchanges went very poorly for me. Turr Phenir was reduced to 1 HP with 2 Criticals (Damaged Engine / Stunned Pilot). I lost an academy tie and things were looking grim as I hadn't even fully stripped the shields on either YT. Wade continued to push the advantage but lost some traction in the shooting phase. For 4-5 turns in a row the dice came up with a single hit (the worst possible outcome for his build as 0 hits results in a complete redo of the attack due to a gunner). I was able to get an Academy pilot to dance in front of the YT's which blocked up his movement and cost him most of his actions. Finally Turr Phennir finished his cross board site seeing tour and re-entered the fray. I was able to use his higher pilot skill to finally take down Chewie leaving Wade with just Lando. The next shooting phase was all crazy dice. I am pretty sure almost every shot I took landed and Wade barely dogged anything. A critical result on Lando dropped his pilot skill to 0. The next turn Soontir, Turr, and an Academy combined fire to finish the job again with the aide of hot dice. Wade and I were certainly stunned at the result. After turn 3-4 it looked like it was all over but the screaming for my squad. Looking at board position doesn't tell the entire story either. Yes I had 2 Interceptors and a Tie on the board but each of them had 2 damage cards on them. Basically 1 or 2 more rounds of shooting and I would have been done for. Result - Win

Finals Rnd 3 I played a 4 Tie and Vader build. The first exchange of fire was mainly ineffective on both sides. The next turns maneuvers left me with all five ships having shots and only two for my opponent. Once again thanks to some crazy academy pilot getting in the way and blocking up movement combined with late moving interceptors that slide out side all available fire arcs. He lost two ships in this exchange and another 2 the next turn. Vader had already spent his ordinance and looking at a 5-1 ship advantage my opponent gracefully withdrew. Result - Concession

Overall, it was a great event and the guys from Dice Dojo were a solid bunch. I meet some great players and learned a great deal. The dual YT build is VERY SOLID. I still think that if Wade and I replayed that game 10 times in a row I lose 7 or 8 of them. The dual special character Interceptor build fits my Swiss Army knife play preference but at times all the extra maneuvers and actions can leave your opponent in a bad place. It almost feels like cheating to move last with 2 ships and take up to 3 move actions with each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Edley
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
A big thanks to the guys at Chicagoland Games / Dice dojo for stepping in to run the events, and to all the attendees that made the trip making the inaurgral year of X-Wing events at AdeptiCon a success.

Hank Edley
AdeptiCon Director

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhysk wrote:
The list I took was:

Soontir Fel
-PTL

Turr Phennir
-Stealth
-Veteran Instincts

Back Stabber

Academy Pilot x 2

Congrats on the Win! I knew which two builds played in the finals and if I had to bet it would have been on yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.