Eminent Domain» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can a research action remove itself? (answer: yes) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Batou Romaine
United States
New York
flag msg tools
When you use a research action, can you use it to remove itself? If not does that mean that even early in the game there is no way to completely remove both research cards from your deck?

I'm asking because the card says to remove two cards from your hand, but if you've played a card it's not in your hand anymore, so the way I've read it it seems like your stuck with one permanent research card in your deck composition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Research action question
avril14 wrote:
When you use a research action, can you use it to remove itself? If not does that mean that even early in the game there is no way to completely remove both research cards from your deck?

I'm asking because the card says to remove two cards from your hand, but if you've played a card it's not in your hand anymore, so the way I've read it it seems like your stuck with one permanent research card in your deck composition.

There are some tech cards that remove cards too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
You can actually use a research action to remove itself. It may not be in the rules, but it was clarified on the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
It may not be in the rules
It is in the downloadable rules, on page 13. Not sure if it's in my physical copy of the rules though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
You can actually use a research action to remove itself. It may not be in the rules, but it was clarified on the forums.

Indeed, you may remove the card played (the rules explicitly say so, because it's not obvious from the wording, as the OP says).

I believe it IS in the printed rulebook. I don't think there's any difference between the printed and downloadable rulebooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dellechiaie
msg tools
I finally got my copy (with the Utopian/Prestige planets expansion) this past Friday, having played it early last year with my dealer and placed an order then. And it was backordered.
Spent most of the weekend playing it with my girlfriend. She was a bit ill and not up to the summer-type outdoor activities we had been planning on.

The rulebook I got did explicitly say that research cards can eliminate themselves. I'm assuming that they revised the for the new printing. (Because of questions that kept coming up- like this one?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dellechiaie
msg tools
A minor Quibble
BTW, A minor quibble. It would have been nice if TMG had included a slip with the expansion planets rules in the box.

The Prestige planets are self-explanatory. Beaucoup VP and don't do a damn thing else for you. Good to grab early in Survey, hold and Colonize/Settle when you can do it easily and/or cheaply.

The Utopian planets, not so much.
The multi-use resource slots on Utopian planets are easy enough to figure out, although their desirability is not evident until one starts getting tech cards that play on numbers/types of resources produced and traded. But the ability to use Utopian planets in research (let alone their use as wild cards and the constraints on such use) is not alluded to at all on the cards themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rocketride wrote:
BTW, A minor quibble. It would have been nice if TMG had included a slip with the expansion planets rules in the box.

The Prestige planets are self-explanatory. Beaucoup VP and don't do a damn thing else for you. Good to grab early in Survey, hold and Colonize/Settle when you can do it easily and/or cheaply.

The Utopian planets, not so much.
The multi-use resource slots on Utopian planets are easy enough to figure out, although their desirability is not evident until one starts getting tech cards that play on numbers/types of resources produced and traded. But the ability to use Utopian planets in research (let alone their use as wild cards and the constraints on such use) is not alluded to at all on the cards themselves.

Indeed - the Bonus Planets were not part of the base game, and therefore the rules for them were not in the rulebook. They were added to the 1st printing boxes at the last minute. There is a rules sheet online and on BGG.

Sorry about the confusion there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.