Subject: road march on turn 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauro Bertolino
Italy
Cuneo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I had a try at the 1st airborne landing today, and I compared the first 2 scenarios. I came out with a few questions.

The second one begins after the landings, and, historically, places most of the airlanding brigade in the DZ areas, and a battalion of the 1st brigade in Arnhem.
Then I tried the first one, with the historical landings, and it was impossible to get the historical situation. The rules say that if the paras are stacked they can't get the road move, so the only possibility was to get a company alone on a road (possibly in A41.22). Is this a correct reading of the rules?

Can the paras overstack during the landings? I didn't find any reference, so I supposed yes.

And, lastly, why are the penalties for trying to land directly in a town so soft? I cannot imagine gliders landing in the town with just 1/3 of probability of receiving some damage. I thought that the damage factor against which to roll should be at least "3".

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
albaron wrote:

I had a try at the 1st airborne landing today, and I compared the first 2 scenarios. I came out with a few questions.

The second one begins after the landings, and, historically, places most of the airlanding brigade in the DZ areas, and a battalion of the 1st brigade in Arnhem.
Then I tried the first one, with the historical landings, and it was impossible to get the historical situation. The rules say that if the paras are stacked they can't get the road move, so the only possibility was to get a company alone on a road (possibly in A41.22). Is this a correct reading of the rules?

Yes. Using the historical landings, 1st Airborne is unlikely to be able to get many units into Arnhem on turn 1. You might get a couple, depending on the scatter results.
Quote:
Can the paras overstack during the landings? I didn't find any reference, so I supposed yes.

I don't have my copy to hand but I believe so, yes. You only check for overstacking at the end of phases.
Quote:
And, lastly, why are the penalties for trying to land directly in a town so soft? I cannot imagine gliders landing in the town with just 1/3 of probability of receiving some damage. I thought that the damage factor against which to roll should be at least "3".

Any suggestions?

You could argue that towns don't fill the hexes and that there are open areas the gliders can land in. Don't think of it as 1/3 chance of receiving "some" damage, think of it as 1/3 chance of receiving enough damage to justify losing a step. But, I agree with you, 2 is rather low.

INS isn't trying to be a particularly accurate simulation - it's trying to be a simple, fast-palying, fun game based on Operation Market Garden. To be honest, there are many rules in this game which do not accurately model the historical battle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Bertolino
Italy
Cuneo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, thank you very much for your reply.
At this point, I didn't think to receive any.
However, I have decided to skip scenario 5.1, and to start with 5.2, with the landings completed. And after, I would like to try the free landing scenario, but with a 50% of a step loss if trying to land directly in city hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.