Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Ng
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question:

If I am attacking with an unexhausted noble and I have an exhausted noble in the same area, am I allowed to use the troops from the exhausted noble in the battle?

My first instinct is no since the FAQ says that a noble has to be exhausted after an attack whether he was commanding or not. I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct ... In the rules on Page 14, 3rd paragraph under "battles" says that armies under an exhausted noble and armies the attacker chooses not to use have no effect on the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ng
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oatesatm wrote:
You are correct ... In the rules on Page 14, 3rd paragraph under "battles" says that armies under an exhausted noble and armies the attacker chooses not to use have no effect on the battle.

Awesome. Thanks for the response. This rulebook is tough to find things in sometimes.

Another question just came up. I know you aren't allowed to trade faith tokens, but the book says, a player may "pay another to spend Faith or cast Votes in a certain way." Can I bargain with somebody to spend a Faith token for me to prevent a revolt in my city?

The way I read "spend Faith or cast Votes in a certain way" makes me think they are referring specifically to spending Faith on blessing expeditions or Event cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
ultimatejarhead wrote:
oatesatm wrote:

Awesome. Thanks for the response. This rulebook is tough to find things in sometimes.

Another question just came up. I know you aren't allowed to trade faith tokens, but the book says, a player may "pay another to spend Faith or cast Votes in a certain way." Can I bargain with somebody to spend a Faith token for me to prevent a revolt in my city?

The way I read "spend Faith or cast Votes in a certain way" makes me think they are referring specifically to spending Faith on blessing expeditions or Event cards.

The rules on page 8 for upkeep say
Quote:
If the Fate card says "Revolt," then the city immediately becomes neutral (remove the Baron's control marker) unless that Baron pays one Faith or twice the city's income in crowns.

So since it says "that Baron" rather than "a Baron" or "any Baron" only the Baron with a revolting city may pay faith to stop it, but other Barons can give you the money to stop it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael West
Lithuania
Vilnius r.
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oatesatm wrote:

This makes sense to me for open combat. How about when assaulting a city? In the example on page 16 it says that the unexhausted noble assaults the city using troops from the exhausted noble's army.

This seems different from the rule for open-combat, is that right?

Also.. in a related question. If the noble assaulting a city loses and the city gains a partial victory, does the assaulting noble have to retreat, if so where?

If a complete victory the attacking noble I assume can die...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwest777 wrote:
[If a complete victory the attacking noble I assume can die...

Check the FAQ on FFG's website for city assaults which result in the city being reduced to zero defence and the attacking noble dying. This is specifically coveredon p3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
michaelwest777 wrote:
oatesatm wrote:

This makes sense to me for open combat. How about when assaulting a city? In the example on page 16 it says that the unexhausted noble assaults the city using troops from the exhausted noble's army.

Also.. in a related question. If the noble assaulting a city loses and the city gains a partial victory, does the assaulting noble have to retreat, if so where?

If neither side kills the other with casualties and the defender wins with a partial victory, the defender must ALWAYS retreat. I don't have my rulebook handy but it does say in the "winning a fight by partial victory" section that if you lose to that, you must leave the space using the retreat rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:
If neither side kills the other with casualties and the defender wins with a partial victory, the defender must ALWAYS retreat.

Do you mean the attacker must retreat if the defender wins a partial victory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
JK777 wrote:
Sparticuse wrote:
If neither side kills the other with casualties and the defender wins with a partial victory, the defender must ALWAYS retreat.

Do you mean the attacker must retreat if the defender wins a partial victory?

Yes. In all cases, if either side wins with a partial victory, the loser MUST retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael West
Lithuania
Vilnius r.
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwest777 wrote:
oatesatm wrote:

Ok.. that's clear then. Thanks :-)

How about the point about armies under exhausted nobles assaulting cities. Unlike with open battles, the armies (not the exhausted noble) can take part in assaulting the city. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that "To assault a city follow the same rules as an open field battle, with the following changes"

None of the changes I read allow armies of exhausted nobles to participate in an assault, so I would say that the answer is no; only unexhausted nobles and their armies may participate in an assault.

In the rulebook on the FFG website the example on p16 uses only unexhausted nobles in the assault and so I think the rules are consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael West
Lithuania
Vilnius r.
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok.. thanks again :-) I see my error. In the example the nobles moves into the area with a mobilising card, therefore he can also mount the assault and only then becomes exhausted.

I got my wires crossed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.