GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,458 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: Can this game be made "portable" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to put together a list of games that I can buy which won't interfere with the fact that I move at least once a year because of work and studies.

Looking at this game there are a lot of components but no actual board that takes up tons of space. My question is; could the components of this game be fitted into a smaller box or bag (like the nice Cthulhu one sold by FFG for example).

Have a look at my list for a more thorough explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can shrink this game down a good deal - my personal setup is that I have the cards in tuckboxes (a large one at about 70x120x25mm and two small ones at about44x66x15mm), a small dice bag for the monster tokens, and a bits box from the hardware stor for all the bits and pieces - the one I have is about 20x14x3cm, but you could easily fit that stuff in a smaller box. This only leaves the clock, which does not really take a lot of space. If you really want to shrink it down, you could also take out a lot of the components - instead of putting an additional doom token on the track each time one is earned, you can just have 1 token and move it around. you can replace the health- and sanity tokens with a red and blue d10 for each player, and you can just keep a list of the elder signs you have.

So, on the whole, I would say you can make this game extremely portable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could even replace most of the tokens by a character sheet with sliders (1 strip for the character, 1 for sanity, 1 for health, 1 for Elder Signs, 1 for doom)....

...or create a postcard version of the game...hehe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faralar wrote:
I'm trying to put together a list of games that I can buy which won't interfere with the fact that I move at least once a year because of work and studies.

Looking at this game there are a lot of components but no actual board that takes up tons of space. My question is; could the components of this game be fitted into a smaller box or bag (like the nice Cthulhu one sold by FFG for example).

Have a look at my list for a more thorough explanation.

Yes: Elder Sign: Omens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:

Not really what I'm looking for since I neither have an I-pad nor the desire to get one. I've heard that the iOS version is good but I was talking about the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faralar wrote:
Ikim wrote:

Not really what I'm looking for since I neither have an I-pad nor the desire to get one. I've heard that the iOS version is good but I was talking about the actual game.

I understand your point and it probably doesn't matter because I'll take a Board game over a Video game any day, but Omens IS also available on Android and you can play on almost any smart phone...not just an iPad or Android tablet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer-Yes.

Slightly longer answer- the 2 biggest pieces are the Entrance card and the Doom Clock. I fit the whole game into 2/3 of the original box with room to spare- and it's a small box to begin with. If you use ziploc bags for dice and tokens, the whole game should probably fit into a box the size of a 2-pack of VHS tapes, except for the rule booklet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faralar wrote:
Ikim wrote:

You're right, I should have put a icon after my post. Sorry, I didn't mean to mock nor to to offend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
faralar wrote:
Ikim wrote:

You're right, I should have put a icon after my post. Sorry, I didn't mean to mock nor to to offend

No worries, I assumed you weren't being serious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought, but if you're looking for portability when taking a trip, the family and I took a long weekend to the beach a couple months ago and we put all the components of both Elder Sign and Blood Bowl: Team Manager into separate gallon zip-locs to take along. Of course, we put all the tokens and cards into small baggies of their own to keep everything organized. If you're looking for something more permanent, obviously this isn't the way to go, but perfect solution for a business trip or a getaway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:
Just a thought, but if you're looking for portability when taking a trip, the family and I took a long weekend to the beach a couple months ago and we put all the components of both Elder Sign and Blood Bowl: Team Manager into separate gallon zip-locs to take along. Of course, we put all the tokens and cards into small baggies of their own to keep everything organized. If you're looking for something more permanent, obviously this isn't the way to go, but perfect solution for a business trip or a getaway.

I'm thinking of finding nice themed bags for the games that I don't need boxes for, this bag or something similar would be a good candidate for elder sign. I wish more games came with bags like Hive and Alhambra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread had some impact on my brraiinz

Could you imagine a cards-only version of the game?

- 1 card displaying the locations (and a mini pawn, of course)

- cards to track health and sanity with (you'd tap them)

- a set of adventure cards. Different die faces are displayed in a corner. I got inspired by the http://dicecards.com/ here. You'd draw the next card from the pile and place it in front of you OR you'd lay out the first x cards and choose from them. Your dice roll would be the next x cards from the pile. You'd have to reshuffle a lot, but so what?

The game could be stored in a nice little tin box.

What do you think?

I'd be willing to get mad with Photoshop again..

No, I wouldn't upload any files...but there's always email

All I'd need is a second, third,...opinion and some suggestions concerning the size of the deck.

EDIT: as for trackers, how about this idea I've played around here?

On the location card, there could be either arrows or scales (right term here?) on all 4 sides.
That'd be for health, sanity, Elder Signs and doom.
Clues and other bonuses could work like the "dice": on cards.

You'd have the other part (arrows if the scales are on the location card or the other way around) on the sides of the adventure cards. You'd put them next to the location card and adjust the values appropriately.

Could even be the other way around: bonus items here...so it would matter on which side you put the adventure cards.

Was that comprehensible?

EDIT: Further thoughts this morning led me to this:

- 1 location card (4 locations, a scale + symbol on each side -> doom & Elder Signs on the long sides, health & sanity on the short ones)

- 5-8 cards with bonus items (clue, red, yellow, purple on the sides of the cards. The one pointing downwards is what you have)

- X adventure/dice cards: adventures in the center of the cards, die faces in a corner. The red/yellow ones only count if you have that bonus item. Arrows on the sides, to keep track in combination with the location card in the middle.
- the backs could display the GOOs and their stats.
- event cards (clocks) could be mixed into the deck.

So how to scale this? Should there be 5 green dice? Less? Given that we have only 4 locations...?

How many cards would be a minimum?

What do you think about the idea in general?

Would someone help me with the math?

I don't like this, but I'm waving with GG!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faralar wrote:
Clammy721 wrote:

I'm thinking of finding nice themed bags for the games that I don't need boxes for, this bag or something similar would be a good candidate for elder sign. I wish more games came with bags like Hive and Alhambra.

Great idea. Nicer than using my ziplocs. Incidentally, if you're looking for games that come packaged in bags, you may want to check what Victory Point Games offers. Many of their games come packaged in poly bags in order to keep prices down. But quality does not suffer in any way. Their components are still top notch. They have just recently started offering some of their games in boxed versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just updated my previous post...begging for some help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...too bad. Well, I've started the whole thing anyway:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.