9 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mage Q's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Gate of Volturi : does this grant 1 mana for every spell the opponent casts, whether it is a summon, enchantment, equipment , or attack spell?

Volturic Shield: if mage has armor 2 and shield active, and an attack does 2 normal damage and 3 critical damage... does the mage take 0 dmg.? ( armor absorbs the W2 and shield the 3 critical )

Thx!

Note: played mage vs fm last night and forcefield is a sick sick card. It should be epic. Dealing with 2 of them with her inate dodge and a bracer was bad enough... Te next game my friend says he is going to put n 4 forcefields and 2 bracers just so I cant get rid of them all lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gate of Voltari: Yes

Voltaric Shield: Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've only played "with" the FM so far, not against. I don't play with her any more because she just slaughters my opponents, easily.

She just seems unbalanced a lot; no fun to play when you win that easy.

And yes, you can build a specific book to beat her, but in this game, building your book to beat one specific mage type seems ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Purple Paladin

I don't think the FM is overpowered. Admittedly I killed my opponent in 5 turns the last time I played her, but that was because my opponent tried to rush forward to go toe to toe with me after I opened with a Thoughtspore with Battle Fury and they opened with a Temple of Asyra and Harmonize, and then did very little to mitigate my attacks. I don't attribute that to playing the FM though. The same thing would have happened if they had played that way for the first 5 rounds against my Warlock or Beastmaster, except that I would have had more creatures out. This was the result of an economy opening rushing forward into an aggressive opening and not properly defending themself, not the FM being broken.

You keep acting like you need to build your spell book specifically to beat the FM to have any chance against her, but that's not true. If you don't have good ways of dealing with defenses or enchantments, she'll punish those weaknesses, but you can adjust your spell book by a few cards and have a dramatically better matchup. I've beaten the FM both times I've played against her, and I didn't radically alter my spell book for that purpose. I opened with Goran instead of Vampiress with my Warlock, and I focused more on swarming than normal with my Beastmaster, but I didn't have to radically alter my spell distribution in order to have a shot against her.

You also act as if the cards you need against the FM are useless in other matchups. Maybe some of them can be (you probably won't use a 3rd Falcon Precision against anyone else), but that just means you should be looking for cards that are useful in a variety of situations and matchups.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to build your book to beat one specific type of mage, but you can include a few cards to help you with difficult matchups. If a matchup is bad, tweak your list a little to better handle that strategy. If the FM is a bad matchup, try adding a Dispel, a Knockdown, and a Falcon Precision and maybe a mage specific creature, psychic immune creature, or a few cheap flyers. That'll come out to something like 10 points. You still have room for 2-3 major plans and some utility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You keep acting like you need to build your spell book specifically to beat the FM to have any chance against her

but you can adjust your spell book by a few cards and have a dramatically better matchup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Force Master is imposing because she is unique in her style. She doesn't rely on minions and if you dare to fight her head on, you will lose. That's no accident. That's the way she's designed.

The problem isn't about being overpowered. The problem is adjusting tactics. Like any evolving game, players will have to update their tactics as more possibilities are introduced.

What's interesting, from a psychological perspective, is that once humans learn to do something one way, it's very hard for them to learn to do it in a different way. The Force Master is unique in her style and because of that, a lot of experienced players will treat her like the opponents they're expecting to fight and get punished for it.

Basically, the key to fighting the Force Master is wearing her down. She has incredible power, but no real support. Avoid direct confrontation as much as possible. She's powerful, but she only has a few actions per turn, like any creature, and she can be beaten through maneuvering and numbers.

But if you're foolish enough to challenge her head on that's your mistake. Not a flaw in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that you have a reasonably decent spell book in most regards, but you're weak to a particular thing, whether that is swarms, equipment beatdown, Gorgon Archers, non-living creatures, or whatever.

Adjusting tactics to the matchup and board state is also an important consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chang
msg tools
Purple Paladin wrote:
Yes, I've only played "with" the FM so far, not against. I don't play with her any more because she just slaughters my opponents, easily.

She just seems unbalanced a lot; no fun to play when you win that easy.

And yes, you can build a specific book to beat her, but in this game, building your book to beat one specific mage type seems ridiculous.

I have played both with and against the FM and I don't find her overpowered at all. She can swing a lot of melee dice and soak up a lot of hits with forcefield and defense, but at the end of the day she is a low-health Mage who pays 2x spellbook points for heals and dispels, and 3x for most creatures. This means that she has a much more limited spell selection compared to other Mages, and has a high risk of running out of useful spells in the late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the Forcemaster struggles more than the other mages at fitting everything she needs into her spell book. That doesn't necessarily make her worse, but it does mean that you need to be more careful of making good choices in spell book construction. I'll need to play more games with the FM before I can judge how much of a problem that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.