Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Cann
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping someone here has an answer for this:

While playing on Board Game Arena, I had Alien Rosetta Stone in my hand and Colony Ship and Alien Tech Institute in my tableau. Before making my move to settle Alien Rosetta Stone, I was not sure whether it was eligible to be put into play using Colony Ship's ability (since Colony can't be used to settle Alien worlds), or whether Alien Tech Institute would award pts for it (because the Tech Institute awards pts for Alien production worlds, Alien windfall worlds, or other Alien cards).

I wanted to know the answer, so I tried using Colony Ship - and to my surprise it worked. This lead me to believe even though Rosetta Stone has "Alien" in the title, it was not considered an alien card because the world symbol is grey instead of yellow. But then at the end of the game I noticed that Rosetta Stone ALSO got me points on the Tech Institute, implying that the Rosetta Stone IS an Alien card. So which is correct - is the Rosetta Stone an Alien card or not? Since I'm a beginning player I suspect it's not an error on BGA, but rather something I'm missing in the rules.

Thx

(related thread about Rosetta Stone:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/548408/is-alien-rosetta-ston... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a distinction between the ALIEN keyword (as on Alien Rosetta Stone World) and Alien (yellow) goods. Some cards like ARSW have the former but not the latter. Alien Tech Institute awards points for both. Colony Ship's restriction is only for worlds with Alien goods, hence ARSW can be settled with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien cards are the ones with the yellow word ALIEN in their title.

Some but not all Alien worlds let you produce goods that are Alien technology (or are windfall worlds for Alien technology).

Alien Rosetta Stone World is an Alien world, but it is not a world that can produce Alien technology goods (or a windfall world for those goods).

The Colony Ship cannot be used to colonize a world that produces Alien technology goods. But it can be used to colonize other Alien worlds. Thus, it can be used to colonize the Alien Rosetta Stone World, since that world does not produce Alien technology goods.

The Alien Tech Institute awards 3 points to each world that produces Alien technology goods; 2 points to each windfall world for Alien technology; and 2 points for each other Alien card.

Since Alien Rosetta Stone World is an Alien world - but not a world that produces Alien technology goods - it will cause the Alien Tech Institute to award 2 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tell newcomers that ALIEN card is that specific keyword that's in yellow. The world I refer to as "yellow worlds" so there's no confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Cann
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the clear responses. I think I understand now. Looking at the cards in person made me realize that my confusion was mainly because on BGA the rollover text for Colony Ship reads something like "can only be used to settle a non-alien world", rather than using the yellow circle symbols. I believe this is technically innaccurate, since we are talking about 3 distinct (but importantly, not exclusive) labels here:
A) Alien production world (yellow colored-in circle),
B) Alien windfall world (yellow halo around circle), and
C) Alien world (that includes A and B, but also includes a world like Alien rosetta stone world).

Board Game Arena's rollover text for Colony Ship should exclude A and B, but not C, which it currently appears to. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcann4jtr wrote:
Thanks a lot for the clear responses. I think I understand now. Looking at the cards in person made me realize that my confusion was mainly because on BGA the rollover text for Colony Ship reads something like "can only be used to settle a non-alien world", rather than using the yellow circle symbols. I believe this is technically innaccurate, since we are talking about 3 distinct (but importantly, not exclusive) labels here:
A) Alien production world (yellow colored-in circle),
B) Alien windfall world (yellow halo around circle), and
C) Alien world (that includes A and B, but also includes a world like Alien rosetta stone world).

Board Game Arena's rollover text for Colony Ship should exclude A and B, but not C, which it currently appears to. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this.)

Yeah, pretty much just note these distinctions....

non-yellow world containing the ALIEN font keyword

yellow world, or world that can hold an alien tech good

An ALIEN card that's not a world at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.