Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up this game in a trade. What faction packs does it match up against most equally? Are they all pretty equal or are there some matchups that are tougher than others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I haven't noticed any serious balance issues, so just go for whichever team interests you.
Keep in mind that the Drow team is easy to play well (almost all creatures have Dex and can use most of the order cards) and Goblins seem to be more difficult (various Abilities and reliance on combos)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People on here have mentioned goblins can be tricky against undead but I haven't experienced it myself yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only balance issue i have found is in a 4 player team game.

I controlled undead and my partner had orcs. The other team both picked the leaders from the other 2 sets that gave them increased movement, and it was a massacre. Both my opponents ran to me and double teamed me. By the time my partner could get in range to help, i was already toast.

edit: to make it clearer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:
People on here have mentioned goblins can be tricky against undead but I haven't experienced it myself yet.

I originally expected this to be an issue.
Goblins have many small units and one of the undead commanders generates leadership for each unit you kill. Unless the goblin player is very cautious about protecting his units the undead player would soon have more/stronger units and proceed to kill even more goblins, increasing the leadership gap. At least that was the expectation.

However, I also never experienced it. Mostly the commander ability functions to balance the initially lower leadership, maybe giving a 2-3 point advantage by the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. I'll probably go for the Drow set then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
However, I also never experienced it. Mostly the commander ability functions to balance the initially lower leadership, maybe giving a 2-3 point advantage by the end of the game.
Neither did I!

That commander is clearly the weakest, imho. I have yet to see a game where the ability gained him more than 3 extra loyalty. So far we've only played using the default warbands, though. Maybe you can tune the order cards and creatures to make it worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Neither did I!

That commander is clearly the weakest, imho. I have yet to see a game where the ability gained him more than 3 extra loyalty. So far we've only played using the default warbands, though. Maybe you can tune the order cards and creatures to make it worthwhile.

Not sure about weakest, I think he beats the other undead commander. Imho all other sets have at least one better commander though.

I think if you built a warband around suicide attacks it could work. That way you get the extra leadership from the creatures you killed AND don't have your first wave of creatures spread out from the second one (since the first wave will already be dead).
Might be totally wrong though, since I haven't experimented much with building my own warbands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Not sure about weakest, I think he beats the other undead commander. Imho all other sets have at least one better commander though.
Wow, I actually consider the other commander to work extremely well with an pure undead warband.

Undead units are already quite robust and granting each of them an immediate ability to prevent some damage without requiring an order card greatly extends their field time. It's also often preferable to cowering.

My most decisive victories so far have been with undead warbands commanded by her!

I guess it must be a matter of playstyles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.