Ladies & Gentlemen» Forums » Rules

Subject: When are Servant cards secret? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Carlton
United States
California
flag msg tools
When discussing the Servant cards, the rules say 'These cards must remain secret', and it says later that the initial Servant card is secret. But then when discussing the bill, it doesn't make any distinction between Servant cards and Wardrobe cards - it seems like, in both situations, the Gentleman can look at the card and, if he decides to buy a Servant card, it gets placed face-up.

So is the secrecy for Servant cards really only for the Servant you get for free? I guess that would make some amount of sense - there's a fair amount of information leakage when shopping for cards of any sort, so keeping the Servants secret after purchase seems like it might be pointless - but I wanted to double-check, given the emphasis the rules place on secret information.

(I haven't actually played the game yet, so I could easily be missing something.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loic Lamy
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As the servant must remain secret during all game :
- you do not give them to your gentleman, you only tell him "please pay my new servant" (price is allways 200£) (or, if you prefer, you give it to him face down)
- if he pays, you do not turn it face up, of course.

Only exception, is when one buy a servant half price from the window of his favourite boutique.

We had long discussion with the publisher to decide to write all this (this choice would have made more difficult rules with more exceptions) or to simplify by only saying "servants are secret".
Anyway, even if you play with only the initial servant secret, it does not change too much the game ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carlton
United States
California
flag msg tools
Great, thanks for the explanation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Aguayo
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I saw this. I was about to post a thread to suggest this as a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.