Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During our last game there was this situation: I played FP and SP attacked Dale when the North already had its political counter in the second box of the political track. The attack has moved the counter in the third box. Then after the first round of combat I chose to retreat. Can I retreat to Erebor or Woodland Realm, since the Shadow captures Dale and the North is now at war, or at the moment of my retreat the North is not at war (yet), thus my army cannot cross a border of another nation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
When retreating, an army may always cross the border of another nation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, Kristofer, I missed that rule. I'm glad to know in the end that we played correctly, I felt as if I were cheating a little
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 31 wrote:
If the defending Army is eliminated or retreats, the attacker may immediately move all or part of the units participating in the attack into the embattled region.

Per above, your opponent has the option of not advancing any of the attacking units and thus not capture the Dale and thus not trigger the North to "Go to War".

I type this mostly in hopes of remembering it if I am ever in the same situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A related question that came up in this weekend's game:

-I attacked Dale
-My son retreated the men of Dale into Thranduil's Woodland Realm
-I attacked the Woodland Realm

Who moves down on the Political Track: Elves only, or Elves and the North?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of them do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
When retreating an army may alwsys cross the border of another nation.

Hi Kristofer, this is not expressly stated in the rules from what I can see. It says that an army may retreat into a "Free" region, so that's completely ambiguous. "Free" could mean:
- an empty region, containing no army.
- a region containing a friendly army.
The definition of Free in itself is very important, but is not defined in the rulebook.
The rules also state that Nations who are not at war, may not move into regions of other nations. That's explicit. It also says that retreating Army's that are not At War *may* move into other Nations borders, but again, this is completely ambiguous, as on retreating, there is the very reasonable argument that:
a) a retreating Army must move into a Free region if possible (depending upon what "Free" even means that is)
b) if there is no region that satisfies a) and if the retreating Army is not "At War", then the Army *may* move across the borders of a Nation if that is the only available path for it to take.

The rules are incredibly ambiguous (myself and a couple of friends all read the rules as per "a non-At-War Nation may retreat across a border if no other route is possible"). Is there somewhere that this is clearly stated please ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 30 (retreats) it is stated that a retreating Army must move to a free region.

On page 10 "Free region" is defined as a region free of an enemy Army and/or enemy controlled Settlement.

Page 35 (Entering War, read the "exception" and ensuing example) details that an Army belonging to a nation not "at war" is allowed to retreat across another nation's border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Kickerz
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Exactly. The rule book works, it is just a little awkward at times.

This might help:

A Free region is a region that does not control your opponents army, a settlement (even if it is one with a control place maker over it).

Case:1
I am the Free People and I am retreating from Eastemnet. Now lets say that the Shadow army took control of Westemnet earlier and have a shadow marker there, I could not retreat there. The army attacking me is in Darth Celebrant so I cannot retreat there. There is another shadow army in Folde so I cannot retreat there. However there is no army in the Wester Brown Lands, or in the Wester Emyn Muil so I could retreat there.

Case 2: A nation "Not at War" can retreat across a bordering Nations Lines". Lets say that I am once the Free People. I have units in Dale that were attacked from Shadow Army units from the Vale of Carnen. I am only on political step 1, but I can still now retreat into Erebor (as the dwarves still own it and it has not been taken by the Shadow Army), or to the Woodland realms (as the Shadow has not taken that either). So in this rare case I can cross into a bordering nations Borders when retreating).

Basically it means you can retreat to anywhere that is not a place where another enemy army is, and that you cannot conquer a City, Stronghold, or settlement by retreating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.