Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this over on the Boardgames subreddit. Interesting. Good move? Bad move? Signs of the singularity?!"!: *gasp*

I noticed no Euros of course. I would not expect it. Good or bad for FLGS? I vote "good".

http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/1cqsr1/boardgame...

-edit-

Also what is the game to the right of King of Tokyo and above Game of Thrones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think boardgames are coming into their heyday and are entering into the mainstream consciousness. This is just one more way that's happening. Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Also what is the game to the right of King of Tokyo and above Game of Thrones?

Looks like The Big Bang Theory: The Party Game. One of these things is not like the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Good: I think it will be beneficial if the employees actually play and can give knowledge about the games they carry in the same way they give information about video games.

Bad: Seriously, JUST used my Gamestop Gift Certificate to get some iTunes gift cards in preparation for Agricola and Eclipse.

?: Do wonder how this will affect FLGSes in close proximity to these Gamestops and if the price points are comparable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If videogamers get tired of playing alone and this display exposes them to attractive games they can play F2F with their buddies, I say go for it! Growing the analog hobby gamer base is a good thing!

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to think it will be fine unless Gamestop substantially expands the size of the shelf space for these games and/or starts undercutting the prices. I wonder if we know the effect Barnes and Noble had on FLGS? From what I saw, the prices were comparable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameStop is to designer board games as Chuck Lorre and CBS are to "geek culture."

On a less critical note, I imagine it'd be good for GameStop to pursue tabletop games considering the next generation of consoles won't be allowed to play used games, which makes up a considerable portion of their sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say its a very good thing. After all when someone gets introduced to the hobby the next logical stop is the specialty store. When I can't find a car part at wal-mart I hit up an auto supply store where they specialize in parts and actually know something about they're inventory and its uses. Once more people know they want boardgames more people will seek out an FLGS. But thats just my thought, could be crazy heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Gamestop will start to trade board games now. I bet I could get five bucks for trading in War of the Ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameStop is trying to get whatever revenue stream they can especially with the predicted turn from used games this upcoming generatioon. Those games are either directly or thematically tied to what they sell so it's a smart business move. Barnes and Noble sells Eclipse of all things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
I quit playing boardgames in 1990 but got back into them in 2011 because pc games got to be crap. I think this may be a trend among serious gamers and is starting to get noticed by business savvy people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Still wouldn't touch gamestop with a 39 2\6 foot pole though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan L wrote:
Maybe Gamestop will start to trade board games now. I bet I could get five bucks for trading in War of the Ring.

$10 if it was the Collector's Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbailey wrote:
Bryan L wrote:

$10 if it was the Collector's Edition.

Easy there buddy... don't get too greedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just stopped by a GS this past Thursday and I didn't see any display like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt A
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great thing for board games to get as much exposure as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And off I go to trade in all my videogames for store credit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Videogamers seem like natural converts to AT-style boardgaming. I'm not sure Gamestop can succeed in being more than a gateway however, as OLGS offer much steeper discounts than online video game stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
jaybeethree wrote:
GameStop is trying to get whatever revenue stream they can especially with the predicted turn from used games this upcoming generatioon. Those games are either directly or thematically tied to what they sell so it's a smart business move. Barnes and Noble sells Eclipse of all things.

That was my immediate thought as well. This is foot in the door/test drive for a greatly expanded BG selection to transition their business model out of used video games.

A potentially brilliant corporate idea, provided they have knowledgeable employees and diversity/selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
ralpher wrote:
I'm not sure Gamestop can succeed in being more than a gateway however, as OLGS offer much steeper discounts than online video game stores.

Well, yeah, if you're willing to spend $200 - $300 on games to get flat rate shipping to make sense or to get free shipping.

Normal people (Normies for short) don't do that. They tend to buy one game at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! I have credit! I think it's a natural move. They already started with all the phone and tablet things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Granger
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They better not be just games featured on TableTop.

They're not? Phew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I took that picture!! The internet's a crazy place.

FYI, this was taken at a GameStop in Avon, Indiana (a western suburb of Indianapolis). The other side of the display included Dominion and 2 expansions, 7 Wonders, Marvel: Legendary, and a version of Axis and Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's likely something only in a few select stores as a trial run, but anything that gets the hobby out there is good in my book.

I don't recall where or if I even read it, but I think Barnes and Nobles hasbeen regarded as "positive" to business elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
asutbone wrote:
One of these things is not like the other.

Possibly, but it's not The Big Bang Theory. Eye grabbing IP's and Amerifun selections (and Munchkin which is a given as it's a big seller). The odd men out are Tsuro and 7 Wonders although Tsuro does have some cache with it's presence on Tabletop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.