Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just finished our first game and had an absolute blast! Everything for the most part was self-explanatory and smooth. A few questions came up however:

1. If an an ability adds +3 dice to an attack does that mean the character now rolls 4 dice? 3 plus the usual 1 he rolls?

2. The ability sanctuary says you can elude using 4 dice. If you succeed, lose 1 secrecy. If the priest has zero secrecy can they still use sanctuary?

3. Does the rogue ability ambush require 2 secrecy to use?

4. Can the rogue ability sap only be used when the rogue is using an attack action?

Thanks. Love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1 +3 dice means 3 more than normal. So if you are normally entitled to 1, you will roll 4. Most rolls give you 1 die by default, but there are some exceptions (in particular, praying uses 2 dice by default).

Tactics are the only powers that generally replace your normal dice (they'll say something like "fight with 2 dice" instead of "+1 dice in fights").

2 Yes, the Priest can use Sanctuary with 0 secrecy. Darkest Night makes a distinction between spending a resource (which you can only do if you have enough) and losing a resource (in which case if you're already at zero, you just ignore it). See the last paragraph on page 4 of the rulebook.

3 Ambush requires that you spend a secrecy. If you are attacking a blight, you will also lose 1 secrecy for attacking, as normal (note that this is a loss, not an expenditure, so you can ignore it if you are at zero after spending 1 for Ambush). But you can also use Ambush during events or when defending, if you want--for example, if you end your turn at the location of a Lich blight, you might decide it's worth spending a secrecy on Ambush to minimize your chances of taking a wound. In that case, you're not performing an attack action, so the only secrecy you're out is the 1 you spend on Ambush.

4 Sap can be used at any time during your turn and does not require that you perform any specific action. For example, you could exhaust Sap to weaken a blight (for someone else to attack), then immediately perform a hide action to refresh Sap, or travel to another location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my second game tonight. First was a two player and second a solo run. After the first play I was a fan but felt it needed more story. After playing solo and really taking time to delve in to character abilities and better understand synergies, and really explore the game slowly, I have to say its an ever better experience than expected.

I look forward to spending some more time tomorrow battling the necromancer and getting to leave about their abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
1 +3 dice means 3 more than normal. So if you are normally entitled to 1, you will roll 4. Most rolls give you 1 die by default, but there are some exceptions (in particular, praying uses 2 dice by default).

Tactics are the only powers that generally replace your normal dice (they'll say something like "fight with 2 dice" instead of "+1 dice in fights").

2 Yes, the Priest can use Sanctuary with 0 secrecy. Darkest Night makes a distinction between spending a resource (which you can only do if you have enough) and losing a resource (in which case if you're already at zero, you just ignore it). See the last paragraph on page 4 of the rulebook.

3 Ambush requires that you spend a secrecy. If you are attacking a blight, you will also lose 1 secrecy for attacking, as normal (note that this is a loss, not an expenditure, so you can ignore it if you are at zero after spending 1 for Ambush). But you can also use Ambush during events or when defending, if you want--for example, if you end your turn at the location of a Lich blight, you might decide it's worth spending a secrecy on Ambush to minimize your chances of taking a wound. In that case, you're not performing an attack action, so the only secrecy you're out is the 1 you spend on Ambush.

4 Sap can be used at any time during your turn and does not require that you perform any specific action. For example, you could exhaust Sap to weaken a blight (for someone else to attack), then immediately perform a hide action to refresh Sap, or travel to another location.

Thank you for the reply. As far as sap goes, can I use it when defending against blights at the end of my turn or against event cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could use it then, but it wouldn't improve your odds on those rolls, because it reduces a blight's might, and you aren't rolling against the might in either of those examples. The only time you roll against might is when you're attacking the blight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.