Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Richardson
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game where I had 1 coaching die and the other coach had 2. He had ganged up two players and was moving his guard in for a slam. He decided to use one coaching die. Seeing this big hit coming, I mentioned before he rolled that I would be commiting my coaching die in defense. He immediatly picked up his second coaching die to nullify my addition.

This got me curious about the timing of contested rolls. Are they simultanious or does the attacker commit all of his dice and the the defender does the same? His move to add a die based on my intention seemed a little unfair to me. It also made me wonder if I were truely commited at that point or could have saved my die for later.

What say you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Grubaugh
United States
San Antonio
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We generally have the Slamming player commit to dice counts then the defender, also before any dice are rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Clemente
Norway
Sandefjord
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting situation.

After a brief check of the rules I couldn't find any reference to this, so it seems to be something to be solved by house rules.

I'd say that it's ok if the defending coach announces that he's going to use coaching dice before the attacker coach rolls his dice. This decision should be made before seeing any results.

And I think I'd prefer that the attacking coach cannot add more coaching dice after the defending coach decides (and announces) to do so.

I can imagine a slam action as a single blow or punch that, if missed, allows the target to hit the attacker back. The attacker may have an inspiration flash that improves his performance for that action (i.e. more dice to roll) but he doesn't have the time to react to a similar inspiration from the opponent (i.e. add more dice after knowing that the opponent is "inspired" with more dice too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rule is:

Dreadball Rulebook Page 28 wrote:
Simply choose as many Coaching Dice as you want from those available to you, and add them to the hand of dice before you roll any
original emphasis

It's a little ambiguous because it says choose as many coaching dice as you want but the before you roll in emphasized. Personally I would say that as long as the dice haven't been rolled then you can choose to add more in, even in response to you saying you were going to use one in defence. After all they wanted to use coaching dice to make sure they had one more than you and it may well benefit you further down the line because they've used up all their coaching dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Richardson
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies!

@Jonah
So do you agree with @Shawn/@Roberto and say the order is Slam rolls then Slam Back or Dodge rolls?

It seems to me the solution is to button my lips. I gave out free information, so that's on me. But I would like clarity on the proper order of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanos2001 wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

@Jonah
So do you agree with @Shawn/@Roberto and say the order is Slam rolls then Slam Back or Dodge rolls?

It seems to me the solution is to button my lips. I gave out free information, so that's on me. But I would like clarity on the proper order of things.

No, the actual rolls essentially get made at the same time. So you couldn't roll the dice (or have your opponent roll the dice) and see the result before deciding to throw in coaching dice (or before deciding whether you were going to dodge or slam back). But I would say that you could allow people to change the amount of coaching dice they are deciding to use as a reaction as long as it is done before any dice are rolled.

It is a bit ambiguous as stated because the coaching dice rules are in the extras section and not covered in the main rules and I think the way they are written assumes that it's only one player throwing them into the roll when it could be two, just like in the situation you've described. But as games are essentially about having fun I think that it's not really something that important and would allow my opponent to change the number of coaching dice they were using if I decided to use one in response to them saying they were going to. Otherwise it just becomes a case of noting in secret how many coaching dice you are going to use before every roll which is unwieldy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest way that ensures secrecy? Both players count out the number of normal dice they are going to have for that roll. Put those dice in right hand. Put all their coaching dice in left hand. Under the table, transfer as many dice as you want from left to right hand. Bring right hands back above the table, and roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.