Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Magazine-Recomendations [+] [View All]
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about subscribing to a board game magazine.

And I was wondering what is out there and which one is the "best".

I had heard about Kuckelbones and went to their website and got a free issue to check it out. So far I like what I see. But I'm wondering if I should check out some other mags before subscribing.

So does anybody have any recomendations. And what is it about that mag that you like so much.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the idea, I just requested a free trial magazine from Knucklebones. Sorry, I can't help with recommendations of gaming magazines, as I'm not familiar with any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Knucklebones is the best all-around gaming magazine I've seen recently. I've wanted Games Magazine to be more like this for a long time. I don't think you should plan to see much in the way of wargames in this mag, though. Some of the writing can a be a little unprofessional in style, but it's all "real." Really worth a read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reccomend to wait a little to sucscribe to Games International.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
God I miss Moves magazine. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Counter. It is very thorough, it covers a lot of games, and the reviews are very well written in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I've looked at a few copies of Knucklebones magazine, and I give it a rating of "meh." It's kind of hard to get all that interested in it since I can get all the game information I need right here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Content-wise Counter can't be beat. Just supplement the magazine with the images at BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
mlanza wrote:
Content-wise Counter can't be beat. Just supplement the magazine with the images at BGG.

Agreed. You can't go wrong with Counter. Knucklebones is also excellent. In German Spielbox is good and Fairplay is decent. By far the worst is Games International.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Moderski
United States
Mcfarland
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I too add my vote for Knucklebones. Between that and the BGG its is all the news I would need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I *really* liked Undefeated magazine, but it looks like they've suspended printing it until further notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is another vote for Counter - top quality reviews and a range of interesting articles - you'll get some idea of the coverage from the list at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the-labyrinth/games/counter/
US subscriptions are available through Funagain - which also has a lot of the older reviews online if you want to judge the quality of the writing.

Games International is also worth a look - you can get it in print a well as the e-edition on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a subscription to Knucklebones too. I enjoy the magazine and once in a while they have new games that I have not heard about online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget INDEPTH - the Long Island Boardgaming Organization's official publication...

Available online and free!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Don't forget INDEPTH - the Long Island Boardgaming Organization's official publication...

Available online and free!

Chris

Can you give a link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
ill give your the link, Mel, if you promise not to kill me anymore in Werewolf games.....

http://www.libogroup.com/indepth.htm

It's an especially good magazine, because i'm in it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.