Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game group has a 1st edition copy of Die Macher, but we lack English rules. Does anyone know whether 1st edition Die Macher can be played with the 2nd edition rules? I've not been able to find a complete English translation of the 1st edition rules to determine the differences. Also, I was curious if there were differences in components between the two editions (such as fewer/different cards, different blind-selection-start options, etc) that would effect game-play if we used 2nd edition rules.

I know the 2nd edition supports a 5th player and redoes/simplifies the end-game scoring. But I haven't been able to get much detailed info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am familiar with the 2nd edition rules. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Die Macher 1st edition vs. 2nd edition - rule difference
The first edition rules are here.

http://www.gamecabinet.com/rules/DieMacher.html

I have never seen the first edition, but I think the differences are substantial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks! That will come in handy.

Still curious though...has anyone has ever tried using the 2nd edition rules with the 1st edition game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
Awesome. Thanks! That will come in handy.

Still curious though...has anyone has ever tried using the 2nd edition rules with the 1st edition game?

I don't think it's necessary. The scale of the Party Bases is different, and there are enough differences between rulesets that it would make it more of a headache than it's worth. For the most part, the first edition rules are very good. You will have just as fine a time... with the following three caveats:

1) You MUST use a calculator for scoring. There's a lot of multiplication of relatively large numbers.
2) No support for a fifth player; this is the one thing that makes the second edition better, IMVHO. On the other hand, I've played the first edition with three players, and it works just fine.
3) According to the first edition rules, a player who declines to publish opinion polls that he's purchased in a round gets no compensation (other than not having the poll hurt him). The second edition mitigates this by letting him roll to improve his Party Bases.

Therefore, when playing with the first edition, I'd suggest a house rule where a player who doesn't publish opinion polls in a region gets one Party Base for each card he bought (that's a difference between the two editions; in the first edition, a winning bidder can buy multiple opinion cards for the bid price).

When I played with this house rule, the game felt much better than with the "regular" rules. I don't feel bad about inserting it into a fully playtested game, as I feel that it was a lingering issue that was addressed in the second edition rules.

Having said all that, I really am happy with my first edition copy. I don't think you're sacrificing anything by playing the first edition other than easier math, and 5th player support (though that house rule really helps).

Enjoy the game!

~Gil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Gil. Have a game scheduled for this weekend. We'll probably play it by 1st edition rules 100% this first time through. Though I do like your idea of adding party bases for unpublished opinion polls. Maybe that will go in next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.