Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to get a new prototype of a game out to a much wider group of play-testers, however, producing and mailing out a game and all it's components to people situated all over the world is a costly exercise, especially from Australia. The last copy I sent cost me $90 to mail.

So, I need to ask the community a few questions, in particular, those who are play-testers or have done a lot of play-testing.

What are your thoughts on providing PnP files and asking people to produce their own copy of the game for testing?

We're talking around 80 standard sized cards, a 48cm square board, 30x 25mm and 20x 20mm chits. The game also needs around 20 paper-clips, a scoring board and player markers (which could easily be recycled from another game).

As a play-tester, is it acceptable for a designer to ask you to print your own prototype version of the game? Or would you consider this an impost on your good will as a play-tester?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, the less the playtester has to do to play your game, the more likely they will. So by sending them a fully complete copy, you have a much better chance of getting feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If its a playtest version then print them off and sleeve the cards to a standard set of poker cards and let them playtest with paper.

You need feedback on gameplay, rules problems, clarity. Not components and glitze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ott
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you upload PnP files on here and ask for critical examination, I think offering some kind of incentive would go a long way to finding playtesters. Possibly offer a copy of the finished game later to a select few helpers, à la SQUAR3. I playtested a PnP of that, and would happily do the same again for someone else. Also, if you spread the word around enough, you're bound to find plenty of interested parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider putting the cards on ArtsCow, and mailing them directly to your playtesters. Right now there's a sale for 20% off and free shipping - two decks of cards (which you would need) would be just under $14, but considering that includes shipping, could be well worth it.

I don't know if the 3 for $10 sale is still going on, but three of the mini decks, shipped, was only $10. If there wasn't small text, that could be a cheap way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done PnP playtesting and I've done components sent to me playtesting.

If I PnP, I need to be invested in the game and really want to see it happen.

For your components:
80 cards is 9 pages, and not that onerous. Playtester would need two packs of sleeves and 80 backer cards.

If the chits are generic enough for me to use other stuff I already have, that's better than having to print/mount/cut individualized cardboard chits.

The chits would scare me the most.

The other components sound like they're part of my standard 'playtest' kit, which is dice, colored stoned, markers, etc in various colors.

So what's up with the 50 'chits'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.