Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Thomas
United Kingdom
Enfield
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this has been answered before but whoever at FFG thought it would get a good idea to name a race "Winner" clearly thought someone would never try and search about them. We had a situation come up in a play today and we weren't sure what the correct outcome was.

If the "Winner" race (Each time you win an encounter by 10 or more strength, gain an additional colony) wins through an opponent playing a negotiation (e.g. Winner player "Attack 15", opposing player player "Negotiate"), does this count as a win of 10 or more strength.

We thought you couldn't assign a value of 0 to the negotiate because there are negative value attack cards, implying a negotiate could beat these. But the attacker has won the battle.

Anyone have any thoughts? Should the "Winner" race gain an additional colony is this situation or not?

Appreciate any answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Winner alien says "As a main player, after both players reveal attack cards and you win the encounter by 10 or more..." [emphasis mine] so it will never activate off of a Negotiate

But you're right that Negotiates have no value and are not the same as "0" -- but the Winner alien is written to help avoid this confusion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the actual sheet FTW.

Fully agree, though, that this alien has a terrible name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Thomas
United Kingdom
Enfield
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
The Winner alien says "As a main player, after both players reveal attack cards and you win the encounter by 10 or more..." [emphasis mine] so it will never activate off of a Negotiate

But you're right that Negotiates have no value and are not the same as "0" -- but the Winner alien is written to help avoid this confusion

My apologies, I didn't have the card to hand and the player was at the other end of the table so I didn't read it during the game.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.