11 Posts

Catan» Forums » General

Subject: The Dice V Card Compromise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate The Shoe
United States
flag msg tools
With two dice, weird things can happen. An example would be double sixes being rolled the entire game.

With the cards, everything is perfect with probability. The problem is card counting.

The solution? Use twelve cards, two pairs of A-6. Therefore it's random, yet guarentees that at least six combinations will come up instead of just one.

If you fear card-counting, double the stack to twenty-four, since I imagine it'd be hard to keep track of all those numbers.

My family and I tried the twenty-four varient Sunday night, and it seemed to go well. My dad had a mid-game slump, yet came back to lose by a point to me in the end :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is including reshuffle cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
With two dice, weird things can happen.

... and that's why there are dice in the game.

If you don't want any luck in your game at all, then isn't the best solution to play something else?

If a designer puts a luck element in the game, then he obviously wanted to, and did it for a reason.

Why does everyone curse the luck of the dice in the game, and yet no-one ever complains about the way the development cards are shuffled?

What happens if the development cards are shuffled in such a way that the same player keeps getting all the soldiers? Maybe they could be replaced with dice to make them more random ....

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
What happens if the development cards are shuffled in such a way that the same player keeps getting all the soldiers? Maybe they could be replaced with dice to make them more random ....

Sweet variant! I can't wait to try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RhythmicSmashing wrote:
With the cards, everything is perfect with probability. The problem is card counting.

Just add a "Reshuffle" card (or two) to your deck. Everytime someone draws this card reshuffle the deck.

But i agree that Settlers is best played with dice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hagvall
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
If you don't want any luck in your game at all,

I would think that most people who are concerned about the dice in Settlers do not want to eliminate luck (i.e. the uncertainty of any given outcome), but to reduce the variance so that the total of all outcomes in a game more adequately represent the distribution of the dice. In this way, it will be easier to play each game strategically and there's a lower risk of extreme outcomes that make the game a "dice fest".

Quote:
then isn't the best solution to play something else?

Some gamers feel that games should always be played and appreciated exactly as designed ("love it or leave it") while others are more willing to consider amending the rules in order to make it a more enjoyable experience. Of course, what's enjoyable to one gamer might not be enjoyable to another, hence a discussion ensues. And sometimes gamers are so eager to manipulate and thoroughly transform a game that one may wonder whether there wouldn't be other games out there that would - without amendments - better satisfy their taste. But I personally don't think that reducing the variance of the dice qualifies as such a transformation, because there's so much else about Settlers that is truly.... Settlers.

Quote:
Why does everyone curse the luck of the dice in the game, and yet no-one ever complains about the way the development cards are shuffled?

Shuffled development cards are - in principle - the equivalent of a deck of dice, not of dice. It's true, of course, that a deck with one "12" would eliminate the possibility of getting three "12" in a row, but you could still get three "6", just like you could get many soldiers (although there's a much higher likelihood of the latter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate The Shoe
United States
flag msg tools
Quote:

If you don't want any luck in your game at all, then isn't the best solution to play something else?

I never said I didn't "want any luck at all", I was simply stating a solution to make the game more strategic, less luck-based.

Quote:

Hehe...I actually hate developments all together. Try to avoid them save the exceptional protection soldier.

Martin put it quite nicely for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Incorvati
United States
Ashtabula
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you prefer cards and have a Palm device, check out

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showso...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the dice, if I make a total hash of the game I can blame the dice The dice don't sulk, get tetchy, or hit me ( thats in full contact Catan ) shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
Quote:

In that case, it's a broken game.

I can have the perfect opening setup and the perfect game strategy, and if no 8s are rolled all game, I end the game with the same two points that I started with.

This has happened to me more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackberry wrote:
Moviebuffs wrote:
Quote:

In that case, it's a broken game.

I can have the perfect opening setup and the perfect game strategy, and if no 8s are rolled all game, I end the game with the same two points that I started with.

This has happened to me more than once.

I know this very well. In my last game (where I tried the Caravan out) I got all the time my 8's whereas the other players hoping for 6 got it 4 times in the whole game, 3 times of which it was blocked by the robber...

But, also a deck of dice does not fix things. It's no more fun if you know your 12 will never come again till (perhaps) next reshuffle... What fun it is to get this seldom number three times in a row! But of course, the whole thing becomes annoying if a probable number never comes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.