Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this on BSW, but it seems as if there all the choices are revealed simultaneously, not only what they are but that they had been made.

I definitely don't throw the term "broken" around loosely, but I think that the fact you can't replicate this playing the game "live" may break the game.

If someone is having a tough time picking an attribute card, that is a dead giveaway that he/she has a green sheep but no good matches to the topic and they have to stretch to figure one out.

Since it doesn't really matter what the attribute card is, this makes that player a target and whoever is sitting nearest has an edge.

I know that maybe it's a bit picky to try and analyze this type of party game in this way, but once the realization hit me when we played on Saturday (my second play and first in a couple of years), it took some of the fun out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed the phenomenon you mentioned also. They're still thinking? Maybe I'd better grab their sheep. It does kinda ruin those rounds.

The scoring system sure seems borked, too. I've only played with 3 and 4 players, and while we had good silly fun, the scoring system did not seem to encourage or reward "proper" play.

So I'm a little conflicted about Attribute. It's a fun social activity, but not a satisfying game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel-André Casasola Merkle
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hello,

why do you suspect that the scoring system is broken?

Best regards
Marcel-André

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must disagree. The player could be thinking long with a red sheep and a bunch of unfitting words. It doesn't really tell that much about the colour of the sheep. Fast selection means the player has an obvious word, and nothing about the sheep.

Besides, BSW also shows when the players have made up their minds, so you can see who thinks long and who doesn't.

I tend to hover around the topic chooser, as they are bound to have a fitting card, but of course that leads to some mistakes when you insta-click a red sheep word...

I think the scoring system works well, particularly in BSW. The purpose of the game is to signal whether you have a green sheep or a red sheep, and the scoring system works toward that goal.

I think the slightly more complicated BSW scoring is better, but when playing face to face I tend to simplify it a bit: I don't allow players to go below zero points. That way you can count the score using glass beads or whatever counters you have without worrying about negative points.

I think Attribut is a brilliant social activity and a pretty good game, too. My only gripe is that it tends to be fairly short and if you fall behind in the beginning (if some idiot screws you up ), it's tough time catching up. But of course, when you play face to face, you don't have to mind the turn limit, you can play as long as you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For me, it's a game where I don't care much about the score in the end. I had a blast and that's all that really matters. Winning a game of Attribute certainly doesn't give anyone bragging rights of any kind. If that makes it more of a "fun social activity" than a game, oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcel-André, sorry that I've left your question unanswered for so long.

I don't think the game is "broken." I used "borked" in a more playful sense. It seems a little off, that's all.

To amend my earlier statement: "the scoring system did not seem to encourage or reward 'proper' play enough". It basically works, but there was something about it that sometimes resulted in scoring that didn't quite make sense to me.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what it is that seemed off. (Egg on my face!) I've re-read the rules, but I haven't played in quite some time, and I just can't put my finger on what it was. It wasn't something that turned up with every sheep, but there was a certain situation or combination of sheep that worked weird.

I guess I'll just have to play it again. meeple

Anyway, not a big deal. I didn't mean to drag Attribute through the mud -- it's given us some extremely hilarious moments.

Adam, you're right. Winning Attribute isn't that important. Fun social activities are all right.

The Big Idea* is another game where the scoring doesn't matter much -- it's pretty random -- but can be very, very funny.

In our group, we don't play any game very competitively. (We try to win, of course, but having fun is more important.)

---

* Silly BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
msaari wrote:
I think the slightly more complicated BSW scoring is better, but when playing face to face I tend to simplify it a bit: I don't allow players to go below zero points. That way you can count the score using glass beads or whatever counters you have without worrying about negative points.

Isn't that what the cards are for? To keep track of your score by piling them face-down in front of you?

I haven't encountered Paul's problem with Attribute, but I have seen people take forever to come up with a category because they're trying to match (or not match) their sheep card. I now recommend that the category giver present the category prior to looking at the new sheep card and the new attribute card. That way, the person can give an interesting topic without worrying ahead of time about which card he or she will play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
I now recommend that the category giver present the category prior to looking at the new sheep card and the new attribute card. That way, the person can give an interesting topic without worrying ahead of time about which card he or she will play.

Doing it this way, I think you would encounter less interesting topics. From my experience, the most interesting topics come from trying to match or mismatch one of your attribute cards perfectly. My friend Garth, for instance, comes up with some of the zaniest topics. For example: A white sheep and 'underestimated' led to him selecting "The X-Wing/Y-Wing squadrons at the battle of Yavin IV" as a topic. I, a former Star Wars nerd, could not stop laughing. Or: A black sheep and 'italic' led him to give "12 point boldface sans serif" as his next topic. It's that kind of imagination that keeps the game fresh. I don't think I could think up nearly as great of topics without looking at my cards. Mind you, I've never experienced a huge problem with topic choosing in my groups. So, in the end, to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
Isn't that what the cards are for? To keep track of your score by piling them face-down in front of you?

Nope, because each card will be scored by two people (I score one point for taking your green, you score one point because I took your green).

Also, we've had such a long games the deck has run out and needs to be reshuffled.

Thus, glass beads (or poker chips) are a very useful way to keep the score. Having two colours for negative points is kind of cumbersome, so I just don't allow people to go below zero. Doesn't make a big difference anyway in a game like this...

Quote:
I now recommend that the category giver present the category prior to looking at the new sheep card and the new attribute card. That way, the person can give an interesting topic without worrying ahead of time about which card he or she will play.

Interesting, because I think the cards will quickly provide ideas for categories. I usually have an idea for category for each card of my hand and choose one depending on the colour of the sheep I get. That doesn't take long, and waiting for people to choose categories has never been a big issue when I've played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:

If someone is having a tough time picking an attribute card, that is a dead giveaway that he/she has a green sheep but no good matches to the topic and they have to stretch to figure one out.

I thought that too... last night the person sitting next to me took a long time to choose a card, so I looked at it and it was a good match, and slapped it... turned out to be a red sheep. All her attributes were good matches for 'Golf'.

So no I don't think it is broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.