Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I put out a request for help on my own personal blog a couple of nights back and, since then it has spread to a few sites but as far as I am aware, not BGG.. Yet.

You can read the details of my own personal quest here: http://alchemygaming.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/my-own-personal-...

The long and short of it though is that I am trying to track down a copy of the first gamebook I ever owned. The hitch is that I can't remember what it was called. A fair bit of detail, just not the title. Hopefully though, someone here should be able to shed some light on the matter.

What I can remember:

- The book was about A6 size and paperback.
- The year in which I acquired the book was 1995.
- The cover of the book looked something like the entry to Shadowgate castle as I recall (picture posted up over at the blog).
- Rumor was that the book came out of a lucky bag (although that may or may not be true).
- There was no gaming system attached. It was very CYOA.
- All told I would say that there was only 30-40 entries in the book, which was pretty thin as solitaire adventures go. Maybe about 10-12 pages.
- I (very) vaguely recall the number 1 on the cover, so there may have been a few in the series and I can't shake the feeling that "Doom" was somewhere in the title. I could be wrong though.

Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You would probably have more luck asking on the RPGGeek side. There's an entry for CYOA books: Choose Your Own Adventure. Many have images, so maybe you can find something there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 12 pages in a book? Sounds like a module, not book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
lesulm1 wrote:
You would probably have more luck asking on the RPGGeek side. There's an entry for CYOA books: Choose Your Own Adventure. Many have images, so maybe you can find something there.

Thanks Eric, I will post up a link to this post over there. :0).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Only 12 pages in a book? Sounds like a module, not book.

Oh it was definitely a book. It was just very short due to the constraints of the format and it's target audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Was it this: Zork #3: The Cavern of Doom

Date of publication 1983, 127 pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Recommendations

Not quite a recommendation but this is the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m. scott veach
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
This isn't actually a suggestion, per se; I just wanted to say that I once
was on a similar quest to identify something (a movie) from my childhood.

And about 3 or 4 times, I did a fairly exhaustive search (including posting to Mefi and related forums) without finding it. Twice, a particular movie was suggested that was "close" but didn't fit one of the details that I was absolutely sure about.

Cut to a few years later, and my Mom finds an old box of stuff when cleaning out the house. It has a bunch of my stuff from when I was a kid including a VHS copy of this movie I had been searching for... of course, it turned out to be the movie that was twice suggested to me during my
searches; I had merged my memories of two different movies into one in my head and thus created a puzzle without a solution.

Anyway, long story to make the point: if you've been looking for this book for a while and coming up short, maybe take a look at what you remember about it and see if it's not possible some of that is flawed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I did the same thing with a movie a couple of years ago, (which turned out to be In the Mouth of Madness) so I know exactly where you're coming from. I could only remember one or two scenes from the whole movie and it was only the good folks on the interwebs that could put the pieces together.

In this case though, I am pretty certain on most of the detail I have given. It was small enough to fit in my trouser pocket aged 10ish, so A6 sounds about right, which also sets the year. The number, art and, "Doom" information is from a sketchy memory though.

Given the size and, what I remember 10-12 pages seems about right too and, the encounter I detailed over at the blog post is crystal clear in my mind.. Just wish I could recall more.

It was a was 18 years ago though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Celinashope wrote:
Was it this: Zork #3: The Cavern of Doom

Date of publication 1983, 127 pages.

Sadly no. Wouldn't mind picking the Zork books up at some point though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Anyone had any more thoughts on this as I am still drawing a blank?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple hits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartomancer wrote:
I put out a request for help on my own personal blog a couple of nights back and, since then it has spread to a few sites but as far as I am aware, not BGG.. Yet.

You can read the details of my own personal quest here: http://alchemygaming.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/my-own-personal-...

The long and short of it though is that I am trying to track down a copy of the first gamebook I ever owned. The hitch is that I can't remember what it was called. A fair bit of detail, just not the title. Hopefully though, someone here should be able to shed some light on the matter.

What I can remember:

- The book was about A6 size and paperback.
- The year in which I acquired the book was 1995.
- The cover of the book looked something like the entry to Shadowgate castle as I recall (picture posted up over at the blog).
- Rumor was that the book came out of a lucky bag (although that may or may not be true).
- There was no gaming system attached. It was very CYOA.
- All told I would say that there was only 30-40 entries in the book, which was pretty thin as solitaire adventures go. Maybe about 10-12 pages.
- I (very) vaguely recall the number 1 on the cover, so there may have been a few in the series and I can't shake the feeling that "Doom" was somewhere in the title. I could be wrong though.

Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.

My antivirus really really disliked some of the javascript that lives in that link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:

Those were all a lot longer than 12 pages, more like 50-60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buffalo Castle? It is short, with a castle on the front.

http://gamebooks.org/show_item.php?id=2703

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevermind to the above, it is T&T. Maybe something from the Lone Wolf series? Those are all a lot longer, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might this have been some sort of book like you'd get in a Kids Meal at a Burger King or McDonalds? 12 pages seems like the sort of thing you'd only get if it was part of a package with something else. I don't recall any book that wasn't a Little Golden Book that was as short as 12 pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your description made me think of Mission to Planet L - the very first CYOA book I ever saw (and one which predates Fighting Fantasy etc. by a few years). I think they may have only been released in the UK

I just had a look and the next one in the series was called Secret of the Seventh Star - could this picture be what reminds you of the Shadowgate?

EDIT: found a more sensible-sized image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a bit more thinking/research: According to http://www.gamebooks.org/show_item.php?id=8468 the first of the British Mini Adventure Comics was called The Dungeons of Doom (The Master's First Challenge)

I followed this lead and found http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gamebooks/message/10324 which described The Dungeons of Doom (The Master's First Challenge) as "An exciting fantasy quest for the crown of King Arthur in a subterreanean world of adventure and magic." - it says the comics were released in 1994 - which fits perfectly with your dates. Unfortunately I cannot find a cover image.

EDIT: Okay, slightly obsessed at finding the answer to this now. I tracked down this site - with seems to archive Legendmaker, which was the follow up to Mini Adventure Comics - he claims to have all the latter but sadly none of the images are on his site.

Alhtough I can't find an image of Mini Adventure Comics #1, I did find #4 on ebay - did it look anything like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Steerpike wrote:
Did a bit more thinking/research: According to http://www.gamebooks.org/show_item.php?id=8468 the first of the British Mini Adventure Comics was called The Dungeons of Doom (The Master's First Challenge)

I followed this lead and found http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gamebooks/message/10324 which described The Dungeons of Doom (The Master's First Challenge) as "An exciting fantasy quest for the crown of King Arthur in a subterreanean world of adventure and magic." - it says the comics were released in 1994 - which fits perfectly with your dates. Unfortunately I cannot find a cover image.

EDIT: Okay, slightly obsessed at finding the answer to this now. I tracked down this site - with seems to archive Legendmaker, which was the follow up to Mini Adventure Comics - he claims to have all the latter but sadly none of the images are on his site.

Alhtough I can't find an image of Mini Adventure Comics #1, I did find #4 on ebay - did it look anything like this?

AMAZING! THAT'S IT!!

After all these years.. Wow.. You have no idea how happy you have just made me. My heart actually skipped a beat. That's how much this book meant to me!

Looking at the art (which is VERY distinctive), I know this is the right series (which will make tracking the book down a LOT easier).

So a HUGE thank you Tom for your sterling work and, of course to everyone else who chipped in with ideas. BGG really is an awesome community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brumfield
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first in this series was called:

The Dungeons of Doom: The Master's First Challenge

Good Luck, on your quest (I couldn't find a picture of the cover anywhere)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.