United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this today. I thought it was quite good. It reminded me of an early 70s sci-fi movie. It isn't an action movie which I think people were expecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely predictable but plenty entertaining nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
Ultraman, here he comes from the sky. Ultraman, watch our hero fly!
badge
Hi, I'm Ultraman! Home: Nebula M78 Height: 40 meters Weight: 35,000 tons Age: 20,000 years old Flight Speed: Mach 5
mbmbmbmbmb

Tom Cruise is like a raisin in a chocolate cookie. He's just taking the place of something infinitely better.

Imagine Oblivion with a really good a actor. That's the movie I want to watch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Looks like an interesting philosophical premise. I'd love to see a solid, non-action sci-fi movie. Like Blade Runner meets Maltese Falcon.

This one clearly couldn't meet those expectations but I was at least interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
johnnyrobo wrote:

Tom Cruise is like a raisin in a chocolate cookie. He's just taking the place of something infinitely better.

Imagine Oblivion with a really good a actor. That's the movie I want to watch!

As much as I think TC is a kookoo person, he is a really great actor. Three movies do a great job of demonstrating his versatility: Magnolia, Tropic Thunder, The Color of Money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm Ultraman! Home: Nebula M78 Height: 40 meters Weight: 35,000 tons Age: 20,000 years old Flight Speed: Mach 5
mbmbmbmbmb

I understand that some see him as a good actor, but he plays the same role in every movie he does. Whenever I see him in a movie, I think: "What if they went with a real actor instead of the promise of some box office revenue."

Jack Reacher anyone?

"Reacher is 6'5" tall (1.96 m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 220 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair. He has very little body fat, and his muscular physique is completely natural (he reveals in Persuader, he has never been an exercise enthusiast). He is exceptionally strong, has a high stamina, but is not a good runner."

Yep. Tom Cruise to a T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerry Maguire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Jerry Maguire.

Same guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful-looking movie, but definitely left me asking questions at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyrobo wrote:

"Reacher is 6'5" tall (1.96 m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 220 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg).

Yep. Tom Cruise to a T.

Isn't Cruise, like, 5'2" or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I was thinking this thread belonged on VGG.

Carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree beautiful. Ending was just dumb. Moments of Terminator, Moon and Star Trek. Not a lot of the last 20 mins made much sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Reacher is 6'5" tall (1.96 m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 220 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair. He has very little body fat, and his muscular physique is completely natural (he reveals in Persuader, he has never been an exercise enthusiast). He is exceptionally strong, has a high stamina, but is not a good runner."

This has nothing to do with whether Tom Cruise is a good actor or not. It has everything to do with how much money the producers want to make by bringing an actor with star power. Lots of movies have cast actors who look nothing nothing like how they're described in the book. Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is a prime example. As for Tom Cruise, I think he is at his best when playing a character role, rather than a leading man. Magnolia, Taps, Jerry McGuire, Collateral, Tropic Thunder are absolutely outstanding and well acted roles for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Does he play an Argonian? That underwater breathing is pretty sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyrobo wrote:

I understand that some see him as a good actor, but he plays the same role in every movie he does. Whenever I see him in a movie, I think: "What if they went with a real actor instead of the promise of some box office revenue."

Jack Reacher anyone?

Yep. Tom Cruise to a T.

I agree with you that he plays the same role in every movie he's in. I just disagree that this makes him a bad actor. It just means he doesn't have a more diverse range. There are lots of talented actors that play only one character, but do it really well (Morgan Freeman, Tommy Lee Jones, Sean Connery, Clint Eastwood).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.