Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: ANZAC Day at Good Games Hurstville rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
This Thursday's public holiday will be huge at GGH. Here's some reasons you might want to visit:

* All day boardgaming, with our large Board Game Library at your disposal and 15% off all board games and RPGs.
* Magic Ice Age/Coldsnap Drafts at 2pm and 7pm
* Star Trek CCG Demos all day - do a demo and we'll give you a free deck and a booster pack so you can start customizing. This game is fantastic, totally different from other CCGs and half of it is available for free online as PnP.

It's well known that I love the 'Geek and I'm trying to make this shop into a place that BGGers will love! Come spend your day off having a good time with us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris Halpin
Australia
Llanarth
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Jaime
My understanding is that you cannot open until approx 1pm on Anzac day as a mark of respect. I may be wrong of course. Hope to get to the shop one day.
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
It's Midday for small business - I did check and would never disrespect our armed forces! My family owes them our lives!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris Halpin
Australia
Llanarth
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry Jaime, I did not see any opening hours listed. Good luck with the shop.
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope it's a good day, Jaime. We're playing some
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Pathfinder
after 4pm on ANZAC day. All the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
It's Midday for small business - I did check and would never disrespect our armed forces! My family owes them our lives!

http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au/NSW_public_holiday...

"Anzac Day is a national day of recognition and commemoration of the contribution of all those who have served Australia (including those who died) in time of war and in war-like conflicts.

ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and was first used when Australian and New Zealand soldiers were grouped in Egypt, prior to their landing at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915.

25 April (Anzac Day) is a restricted shop trading day in NSW until 1.00 pm. This means shops cannot open for customers until after this time."

...it is 1pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germain
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fronk wrote:
Hida Mann wrote:

"Anzac Day is a national day of recognition and commemoration of the contribution of all those who have served Australia (including those who died) in time of war and in war-like conflicts.

ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and was first used when Australian and New Zealand soldiers were grouped in Egypt, prior to their landing at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915.

25 April (Anzac Day) is a restricted shop trading day in NSW until 1.00 pm. This means shops cannot open for customers until after this time."

...it is 1pm.

From your own link:
In order to trade on a restricted trading day you must have an existing Exemption or meet ONE of the following criteria:

You are a Small Shop retailer
You are an Exempt Shop retailer
Your business operates within the Sydney Trading Precinct
You are the holder of a Hotel licence
Your business is located within one of the nominated Local Government Areas
Your business has an existing Exemption to Trade
Special provisions apply to Take Away Liquor Stores
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axisreaver wrote:
Fronk wrote:
Hida Mann wrote:

...it is 1pm.

From your own link:
In order to trade on a restricted trading day you must have an existing Exemption or meet ONE of the following criteria:

Correct but not before 1pm. Exemptions exist for certain retailers, or those who have applied for and been granted exemptions.

Boardgame stores do meet the criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Actually, we do. We are classed as a small shop retailer and are hence exempt. We COULD be trading from 6am, if we wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
We COULD be trading from 6am, if we wanted to.

....and show even greater disrespect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Fronk wrote:

If that's your problem with this, say so up front. You might get more support. Bluffing first with legalities seems disingenuous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Fronk wrote:

If that's your problem with this, say so up front. You might get more support. Bluffing first with legalities seems disingenuous.

Bluffing I am not, nor am I looking to garner support. The restricted trading as outlined on the IR website has been framed as a mark of respect.

The businesses allowed to trade prior to 1pm are deemed essential, and lets face it a store selling boar dames is not.

For some ANZAC day is simply another public holiday, for others it has more significance than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germain
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fronk wrote:
Axisreaver wrote:
Fronk wrote:
Hida Mann wrote:

...it is 1pm.

From your own link:

Correct but not before 1pm. Exemptions exist for certain retailers, or those who have applied for and been granted exemptions.

Boardgame stores do meet the criteria.

Correct unlike Xmas and Boxing day which are restricted trading all day, ANZAC day is only restricted till 1pm. Further, from your own link:

Quote:
Small shop exemption
In addition to those listed exempted shops, a small shop that falls with the definition of the Act is also exempted from the requirements to remain closed.

A small shop under the Act is identified as follows:

If the number of people that own the shop does not exceed 2, or one corporation, and the owner or owners of the shop take the profits from the business.
The total number of employees engaged by a small shop must not exceed a total of 4 regular employees, whether working at the same time or different times.
The number of persons engaged in a small shop does not include:

The occupier or occupiers. If the occupier is a corporation, then 2 natural persons who are shareholders of the corporation; or
Any person engaged in an emergency during the absence from the shop for part of a day of a person who is engaged in the shop on that day; or
Any person engaged outside the normal working hours of any person engaged on a full-time basis.
If the owner of a shop is a corporation, or a Director of a corporation and is engaged in another business, then it fails to comply with the definition of a small shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Fronk wrote:
Ozludo wrote:
Fronk wrote:

Bluffing I am not, nor am I looking to garner support. The restricted trading as outlined on the IR website has been framed as a mark of respect.

The businesses allowed to trade prior to 1pm are deemed essential, and lets face it a store selling boar dames is not.

For some ANZAC day is simply another public holiday, for others it has more significance than that.

Including for me. Midday is when I can get to the store after the ANZAC day service I'm attending. The restricted trading hours are determined for businesses of a certain size, not a certain based on what service they provide. You can find plenty of pubs and corner stores open well before 1 on ANZAC day and I don't think there's any justification that suggests beer is an essential service. There's no correlation between the arbitrary time suggested by the NSW government and the respect I hold for the men who died buying time for my family to get on a boat and make it to this country during WWII.

The bottom line? The store will open when I'm finished paying my respects, I'm sorry if that offends you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
You can find plenty of pubs and corner stores open well before 1 on ANZAC day and I don't think there's any justification that suggests beer is an essential service.

I imagine there will be plenty of diggers and descendants playing games in pubs on ANZAC Day too. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieren Otton
msg tools
I am looking forward to playing TREK tomorrow arvo, and then again Sunday!

Too much TREK is barely enough!

Honest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.