Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...but my copy of the 30th anniversary edition only comes with the rules for "Survive!" How do you play "Escape from Atlantis?" Or is that considered to be the "challenges" in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is all one in the same. "Escape from Atlantis" is not an expansion. It's just a rewording of an old title

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Survive was reprinted as "Survive: Escape from Atlantis!" by publisher Stronghold Games and hit store shelves in February, 2011. The reprint contains the game Survive, as well as all the extra pieces needed in order to play the game as "Escape from Atlantis".

This part in the game's description is what has me wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Atlantis version should be described in the rulebook under options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...don't see options in there. Do you mean challenges?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the description for an older game called "Escape From Atlantis":

An island made up of 37 hex-shaped plastic tiles is slowly sinking into the ocean (as the tiles are removed from the board). Each player controls 12 Atlantean Tribesmen that they try and move towards the safety of the surrounding islands before the main island sinks. Players can either swim, latch onto a dolphin, or use boats to travel but must avoid sea monsters, octopuses, and sharks on their way to safety.

Escape from Atlantis is similar to the Parker Brothers game Survive! but with some key differences (e.g., people pawns are not worth a variable number of points).

In 2010, a reworked version of Escape from Atlantis which combines the rules of the game along with the rules to Survive! was printed by Stronghold Games titled "Survive: Escape from Atlantis!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main differences as I recall is the original Survive didn't have dolphins like Escape from Atlantis and Escape had all men being equal (i.e. no numbers on the bottom.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this in old post by Scott Rogers:

"The biggest difference between the two versions of the game is that in Survive, the little characters have numeric values ranging from one to five on the bottom. This makes the game more about getting the highest piece characters to shore rather than trying to get as many as possible. Escape's pawns do not have these numbers on the bottom. (At least not on the UK version - this may be true for the European version)

The other major distinction is that when the final tile is overturned in Survive, the island erupts, killing every creature that hasn't reached land! I'm not sure which ending I like better. I like that Escape still gives players a fighting chance to win, but I've seen too many play situations where some player have gotten all of their available men to shore so are left with only moving the monsters. However, I also love the climatic ending of Survive where it truly is a mad scramble to get to shore. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everybody, for the clarifications -- now I understand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Burt
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Escape ends when any player has no meeple not on shore.
So sometimes you want to eat your own men to end the game.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.