Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Sell my collection as a set or individually? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Mutchler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hey all. So I'm a bit hard up for cash and a local game store is having a game auction tomorrow so I think I'm going to sell my X-Wing collection. I have three core sets, an x-wing expansion, a y-wing expansion, a tie expansion, an a-wing expansion, and the slave I. Do you all think I'd get more as a set or by splitting it up? Thanks for any thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you will get more by splitting it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Goff
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Curious: how much would you sell the whole shebang for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaster Mereel
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From time to time I look for X-wing sales on Ebay. Every collection (lot) I've seen, 4-5 auctions, all have gone for more than MM prices, some even over retail value. I'm not sure why people are paying that much but they have been. I'd sell them as one lot.

Hope that helps and good luck.

EDIT:Misspoke a bit, added italic part. MM prices are the retail price in my head, not for everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you're planning on selling it individually, spend the night getting everything sorted. If you break it up, everything is going to need the right upgrade cards, stress/focus/crit/evade/number tokens and everything that comes with each expansion.

Flint Lockwood wrote:
Curious: how much would you sell the whole shebang for?

Retail pricing (40x3 + 15x4 + 30) would be $210.
CSI/MM pricing (25x3 + 10x4 + 20) would be $135.
I assume somewhere between those two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would someone buy a used, not OOP collection for MORE than they would pay for new copies of the same collection online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaster Mereel
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cc_TheToph wrote:
Why would someone buy a used, not OOP collection for MORE than they would pay for new copies of the same collection online?

No idea, I suppose it's got something to do with the availability of ships at the moment. A huge lot just went for about $50 more than CSI/MM prices. A few have been more than retail prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaster Mereel wrote:
cc_TheToph wrote:

No idea, I suppose it's got something to do with the availability of ships at the moment. A huge lot just went for about $50 more than CSI/MM prices. A few have been more than retail prices.

A lot of people don't do math very well on the fly, too. They might be looking at it and doing a quick "number of ships x $15" calculation and assuming they're getting a deal. Or putting a max bid that's an eyeballed "This is the most I'd want to pay for this". Or for the convenience of not needing to buy things piecemeal, when stuff is out of stock a lot of places?

I don't know. People don't always make sense.

For the original poster, if you do things piecemeal you might want to break it down into smaller sets without doing every-ship-for-themselves. This could be thematic ("wave 1 expansion ships and a core") or strategic (an expansion or two that's harder to get at the moment along with one or more that are more readily available on the assumption that multiple ships will increase the base price, and bidders might get into a war trying to get the harder-to-find ship).

Mostly depends on what kinds of folks you expect to be in the crowd; I imagine an "everything" bundle would appeal more to people who want to get into the game (but haven't bought any other ships yet) whereas breaking it up might be better if you expect several people who are already invested, but might want to improve their fleet with a particular ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the ships, sell plasma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cc_TheToph wrote:

Not sure either, either but I can confirm what he's saying because I was watching several lots and never even bid because the price was too high. I think it's mostly because of relative scarcity (even though it's temporary).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Halling
Denmark
flag msg tools
kelann08 wrote:

Who needs that spare kidney anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

You Americans are so lucky. I'd be selling a pint a month to support my game habit. whistle

In Canada, we have to just give it away....for free....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in buying separately for what it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.