Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eorl Osborne
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
firstly I'd just like to say that I have only played one game that a friend had 'print and play'ed. Some of the others had played with him before and were quite confident in their own interpretations of the rules.
I have now downloaded the rules and read them through and still wonder about the following:

1) if on a draft card, you move laterally into a lane -pushing part of the chain backwards, across a straight/corner join where you have a choice of lane, does that then lock you in to which side you begin pulling with you? ie they suggested that i should push a car backward into the current chain on one side and then in forward movement chose to bring the empty lane with me. My reading of the rules seems to suggest that once a chain has moved together across a join they are locked for all movement on that car's current activation.

2) one of the event cards had two "adjacent" cars collide, and someone questioned the group assumption that it meant "side by side" rather than the mathematical/typical boardgaming definition of just being directly next to each other (not diagonal). Whilst reading the rule book it regularly uses adjacent to mean cars beside and in front/behind. Which is meant on this card? (should adjacent be more clearly defined prior to a final version of the game)

3) Ok so this might be me taking the theme too far but I found the understeer and oversteer cards potentially argument causing. In these cars when a corner is entered or exited the choice MUST be towards the outside/inside respectively. One of those who had played before misread the oversteer card firstly telling the active player that they MUST choose the inner (empty) lane to follow their chain into the corner(their car was 2 spaces into a corner already), and when corrected (as the outer lane when following would be the one moving towards the apron) accepted that they had misread the wording and that actually no it didn't say that either lane MUST occur and that it should be the active players choice. I questioned their understanding about what would occur had the active car not exited the corner would they have had a choice about the cars in front, and was told no! I was totally bemused about the apparent inconsistencies and just let the game move on while I shook my head (it was better for my team to leave the others behind but I just didn't see the logic)
In summary - when using the UNDERSTEER/OVERSTEER cards, do you get some choice about which lane the lead/trailing cars take/come from:
• never
• if the active car doesn't enter/exit the corner (but some part of the chain does)
• only the lead car is restricted, but those following can be the active players choice (if the active car does not itself exit the corner)]as per the gaming group I was with]
• or finally, only the following cars are restricted but the leading cars can be chosen (if the active car does not itself exit the corner)

The joys of playing a game still in development! Anyway, I really did enjoy the game and my team came a very close second, with many enjoyable moments. A great game that I hope to play a more refined final version of in a year or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eorl wrote:

3) Ok so this might be me taking the theme too far but I found the understeer and oversteer cards potentially argument causing. In these cars when a corner is entered or exited the choice MUST be towards the outside/inside respectively. One of those who had played before misread the oversteer card firstly telling the active player that they MUST choose the inner (empty) lane to follow their chain into the corner(their car was 2 spaces into a corner already), and when corrected (as the outer lane when following would be the one moving towards the apron) accepted that they had misread the wording and that actually no it didn't say that either lane MUST occur and that it should be the active players choice. I questioned their understanding about what would occur had the active car not exited the corner would they have had a choice about the cars in front, and was told no! I was totally bemused about the apparent inconsistencies and just let the game move on while I shook my head (it was better for my team to leave the others behind but I just didn't see the logic)
In summary - when using the UNDERSTEER/OVERSTEER cards, do you get some choice about which lane the lead/trailing cars take/come from:
• never
• if the active car doesn't enter/exit the corner (but some part of the chain does)
• only the lead car is restricted, but those following can be the active players choice (if the active car does not itself exit the corner)]as per the gaming group I was with]
• or finally, only the following cars are restricted but the leading cars can be chosen (if the active car does not itself exit the corner)

You are apparently using an older set of cards and rules. There is now no such requirement for the Oversteer and Understeer cards. Just the inside/outside move at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eorl wrote:

2) one of the event cards had two "adjacent" cars collide, and someone questioned the group assumption that it meant "side by side" rather than the mathematical/typical boardgaming definition of just being directly next to each other (not diagonal). Whilst reading the rule book it regularly uses adjacent to mean cars beside and in front/behind. Which is meant on this card? (should adjacent be more clearly defined prior to a final version of the game)

Adjacent is one of the four spaces (or more at a convergence/divergence at a corner). So it is in front, behind, or on either side.

It is being defined and diagrammed in the final rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eorl wrote:

1) if on a draft card, you move laterally into a lane -pushing part of the chain backwards, across a straight/corner join where you have a choice of lane, does that then lock you in to which side you begin pulling with you? ie they suggested that i should push a car backward into the current chain on one side and then in forward movement chose to bring the empty lane with me. My reading of the rules seems to suggest that once a chain has moved together across a join they are locked for all movement on that car's current activation.

You are not required to take the whole lane with you if there is a choice. Linking only happens when you move forward, so lateral movement prior to linking does not commit you to a line of cars even if you displaced them backwards, and you are free to pick either lane at a convergence or divergence to move, even an empty one.

The key is the forward movement and displacement is not moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.