Popular Tags: [View All]
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first venture into Arkham was a two player game, David & myself. Following the instructions, we set up the board, picked our characters (He was Monterey Jack, I was the Librarian), selected the Elder Hastur and off we went.

Right off the bat David got a mental beatdown from a monster & ended up at the Asylum. (We played the Horror role wrong. We thought the modifier on the FRONT of the monster was used for horror. David probably wouldn't have gone insane. mistake #1). I headed south, not knowing what I was looking for, clues probably. I grabbed a clue and had an encounter. We were still wobbly on what was going on.

A few gates opened up (We left clues on the gates, mistake #2. We also added clues to open gates, mistake #3) and some monsters came shambling out. A gate attempted to open where a gate already was, so we counted ourselves lucky (Missed the rule about more monsters coming out, 1 per open gate. mistake #4). We had a few more encounters, David trying to get $$, myself trying to get clues ( didn't see the rule about shuffling the encounter decks before each draw. mistake #5). Once some monsters showed up because of an encounter, but since we were at the limit, we sent them to the outskirts (I think we were supposed to fight them & then they would disappear. mistake #6). We fought some cultists, they were easy. (Didn't look at the elder card that would put their fight modifer from +1 to -2. mistake #7). Monsters kept filling up the outskirts (once we corrected the gate opening rule) and triggering the terror track. (Waited until we exceeded the limit. Limit of 6, trigger on the 7th. mistake #8. We would also place all monsters into outskirts and get rid of all of them. Outskirts have 5, 4 monsters appear. 9 monsters disappear from outskirts rather than 3 staying behind. mistake #9).

We knew that we had to close the gates, so we traveled to the other worlds. Went to the left side, waited a turn, went to the right side, drew a card. (Didn't understand that we needed to draw a card per side. mistake #10). We even sealed a few gateways (missed the Elder rule upping the clue cost from 5 to 8. mistake #11). We also realized that during the Upkeep phase, we had been moving our attributes far beyond the capabilities of our focus (mistake #12) Sadly, time ran out(3.5 hours from start of setup), but we felt we had a good grasp of the rules. (mistake #13).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That last mistake is a very, very common one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question is: Did you have fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

Heh heh, brilliant! We must've played the game through about twenty times by now and only just realised in our last game that you can't get clues from a location unless you end your turn there (we were just legging it about yoinking clues from everywhere) . . .
Ed's right though, did you actually have any fun??

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* If your speed is three, roll three dice, WOW! I get to move 18! Why do I need an motorcycle?(you only move your speed points. mistake #14)

* Seal a gate, remove a doom token from the elder. These guys are easy to keep at bay. (Seal a gate, use an unused token. Seal with an elder sign card, take a token from the elder. mistake #15)

* We were trapped in some buildings. There were monsters outside that were so horrible we would go insane before we could try to evade. (You attmpt an evade, fail that? Horror check, THEN you fight or try to run away again. mistake #16)

ANyway, we did have fun. & we will be trying it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.