Subject: Video link admin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an admin for video links?

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/18547/ticket-to-ride/dice-tow...

This video should be linked to the video game version of Ticket to Ride on Video Game Geek rather than the board game version here on BGG.

Can we get it moved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how to move a video across the domains. Maybe someone else knows a trick I do not. Otherwise, there's always deleting and re-linking in the correct entry, but that seems clunky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
I don't know how to move a video across the domains. Maybe someone else knows a trick I do not. Otherwise, there's always deleting and re-linking in the correct entry, but that seems clunky.

And the original linker would have to be amenable to the change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
I just sent in a correction for this change using the "Corrections" link on the main ticket to ride page. In general that's the recommended way to send in such requests to the admins, and I figure if anyone knows how to move it, it'll be Scott - who monitors those corrections (aand so is dealing with these sort of requests all the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've moved it to the VGG entry, but the question I have here is how a video that isn't about the board game made it past GeekMod for boardgames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been linking to videos for video games and one thing I have noticed is that links for video game versions of board games are being approved in a matter of hours as opposed to a week or more for traditional video games.

I am guessing these videos are being routed through BGG Geekmod rather than VGG Geekmod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
The battle for heart and minds on:

A board game is hardware - it belongs on BGG
A video game is software - it belongs on VGG

Yes, even if it's a software version of a board game. The clue is in the term 'software'.

Goes on.

PS:
How about mandatory tattoos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
The battle for heart and minds on:

A board game is hardware - it belongs on BGG
A video game is software - it belongs on VGG

Yes, even if it's a software version of a board game. The clue is in the term 'software'.

Goes on.

PS:
How about mandatory tattoos?

I have seen people both on BGG and VGG arguing that video game versions of board games are in fact board games.

I don't understand it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think there is lots of confusion and other things going on:

The paradigm of the 'board game' was totally changed by the growth and availability of device apps. It didn't help BGG that for years it had accepted browser based versions and so was caught a little off guard when board game apps exploded, requiring a way to satisfy the two camps on this issue.

Some folks believe that the form is irrelevant; instead arguing either (i) the original form defines the thing (eg Monopoly is always a board game) or (ii) That there are essential elements to board games that are more essential than physical form (eg turn order, virtual tabletop, etc)

This being an online community there remains a desire to expose, construct, believe and repeat conspiracy theories. I've heard many users suggest that this policy has simply been created to increase traffic to VGG. The fact that there is a perfectly logical definition of video games as software and that this decision is made as a compromise to keep cater for the rights of users who reject software versions totally, is just a coincidence.

Lots of users just want things to fit their use; they don't want to have to learn any new features or head over to another part of the site.

Additionally, some don't want to admit that they are board gamers who also will stray into the realm of computer gamers when it comes to software versions of board games. This split between hardware and software challenges their identity and possibly the acceptability of their hobby in their perception of the understanding of wider society.

There remains lots of hybrids, and their number will only increase in time, that require both hardware and software to play. When virtual tabletops and similar new concepts become widespread I can see the Geek having further difficult decisions to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.