Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Yom Kippur» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Historical Campaign - UPDATED! UN Calls for Ceasefire! Hostilities End! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy Dan and I have begun the historical campaign scenario of Yom Kippur as our next installment of MNW (Monday Night Wargaming). Neither Dan or I have ever played a SCS (Standard Combat Series) game before (other than a solo run of Yom Kippur I did in order to learn the rules and therefore be able to teach it to Dan). Since I had soloed the game, I volunteered to be the Egyptians, since the Canal crossing on turn one is slightly complicated. Dan took command of the Israelis.

Turn 1
As the Egyptian commander, I decided on a minimum number of assaults across the Canal in terms of bridging - two in the north, one in the south. I did this to help concentrate my initial artillery barrages to give me the best chance of knocking out those Bar Lev forts opposite of my crossing locations. This worked well, and I was over the Canal smoothly. I used exploitation movement to push eastward, especially in the south, but taking care not to advance beyond my SAM coverage. Well, Dan wasted no time in moving to contact with my southern forces. While I was hopeful this headlong Israeli rush would provide me some opportunities, it was also rather disconcerting!

Turn 2
The Israelis were upon my Egyptian forces so quickly, I didn't have time in the south to establish my desired defensive positions amongst the dunes and rough terrain. Dan's Israelis formed one strong armored fist south of the dunes along the Lateral Road, but I was able to blunt this somewhat via barrage, and he also put himself out of supply! Hopefully I would be able to take advantage. In the north, my airmobile units seized Churchill Heights, which I hoped to be able to use to block any Israeli advance. However, the Israelis brought massive reinforcements to this area and began to push my airmobile troops off the heights.

Turn 3
The Egyptian situation was rapidly beginning to unravel. In the north, Dan's Israelis swarmed over and around my badly outnumbered troops. He is now close to being in a position to reach the Canal next turn (though, if he crosses, he will release both my GHQ and Exploitation Reserves, which would be a great blessing from Allah!) In the south, things are somewhat stablized for the moment (I was able to kill off several Israeli tank battalions in the cauldron south of the Lateral Road dunes, but the others escaped). However, with the situation in the north, I will have little choice but to move my armored and mechanized units in the Tasa region northward to blunt the Israeli advance - unless, of course, I can manage to roll a 9 or better and get my Exploitation Reserves released. I really need those units right about now!!!

We stopped at this point today. Our plans are to sit down in two weeks to pick up at Turn 4. I either need those Exploitation Reserves, or a Cease Fire, or I think I'm cooked. However, I'm having a boatload of fun playing this, as is Dan! I can definitely see the attraction of the SCS games, and look forward to playing the others I've collected!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Historical Campaign - Turns 1 thru 3
Great AAR!

I really like this game, but it is so fluent, and the MP are so high that things develop very very fast.
As the Arab player, I usually just advance to the rough terrain on the other side of the channel, dismantle down to two bridges at locations that are easy to defend, dig in there and let the Israeli come to me. His units are fragile, and this way he will loose tanks yet will not achieve that much. A battle of mobility and hit and run favours him after all.

Once the exploration forces are released, then a dash to the dunes or alike. Not sure if this works any better, but you could be in world of hurt very soon here at your bridges....!!!

Oh yes, and you must guard against those on amp preprinted Israeli bridges; a Sam unit will do for this, but looking at the pic, an aggressive Israeli commander could be across the channel this turn quite comfortably at your northern bridge and the prepared Israeli bridge nearby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hreschreiter wrote:
Great AAR!

I really like this game, but it is so fluent, and the MP are so high that things develop very very fast.
As the Arab player, I usually just advance to the rough terrain on the other side of the channel, dismantle down to two bridges at locations that are easy to defend, dig in there and let the Israeli come to me. His units are fragile, and this way he will loose tanks yet will not achieve that much. A battle of mobility and hit and run favours him after all.

Once the exploration forces are released, then a dash to the dunes or alike. Not sure if this works any better, but you could be in world of hurt very soon here at your bridges....!!!

Oh yes, and you must guard against those on amp preprinted Israeli bridges; a Sam unit will do for this, but looking at the pic, an aggressive Israeli commander could be across the channel this turn quite comfortably at your northern bridge and the prepared Israeli bridge nearby!

Yes, I am in total agreement - given the aggressiveness of my Israeli opponent, it's clear I advanced too far east too quickly. I have to backpedal now and hope to high heavens that I get those Exploitation Reserves soon! It's a learning game for both of us, to be sure - I would certainly play it differently as the Egyptians next time! That being said, I'm still enjoying myself immensely - this game reminds me of some of the Avalon Hill games from the days of yore, with simple rulesets, but loads of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Lovely clear pictures backing up a great AAR. Nice work. Looking forward to episode two and in total agreement about SCS - it's great fun!

Just waiting for Heights of Courage to hit the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
desertfox2004 wrote:
hreschreiter wrote:
Great AAR!

Yes, I am in total agreement - given the aggressiveness of my Israeli opponent, it's clear I advanced too far east too quickly. I have to backpedal now and hope to high heavens that I get those Exploitation Reserves soon! It's a learning game for both of us, to be sure - I would certainly play it differently as the Egyptians next time! That being said, I'm still enjoying myself immensely - this game reminds me of some of the Avalon Hill games from the days of yore, with simple rulesets, but loads of fun!

There are some optional rules for YK, that attempt to balance some of the situation.
If you are interested in a copy of the article I have a pdf somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
hipshot wrote:

Mind sharing it with wider audience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Just waiting for Heights of Courage to hit the UK.

Agree - really looking forward to that one !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:

There are some optional rules for YK, that attempt to balance some of the situation.

I would love to!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our next session is now scheduled for Thursday, May 9th. We will pick up at Turn 4. Surveying the situation, my plan is clear - in the north, attempt to surround and/or attack those two Israeli spearheads, using, in part, the units now located in Tasa (center of map). The plan isn't to wipe these Israeli spearheads out (that would be nice, but highly unlikely), but rather to simply tie those units up while the rest of my army repositions. In the south, pull back towards the Canal. After that, use artillery to keep the Israelis at bay at least a little, and otherwise, wait for the release of my reserve units (and hope for a ceasefire call sooner than later!) We will see how these hopes and wishes work out for my Egyptian troops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confued about the Suez Canal. It's not quite wide enough to count as a whole hex, so maybe it's regarded as hexside terrain?

Two situations, both well illustrated in your first photo, especially if you click on it and use the orginail size.

The Egyption infantry unit in 39.24 - is he in a Canal hex? Did he start in 39.25 and move into his present position, which is treated as having crossed the canal so now he is on the east side?

Looking at the PCB road that ends in 42.23 - To block a bridge from there would the Egyptians need a unit in 42.24, or 42.25? If 42.24, is that considered a land hex on the east side of the canal, so would be a legitimate set-up hex?

Looking at it closely now I see the difference betwen 39.24 and 42.24 is that in the first case the land portion of the hex is on the east side,and in the second case it is on the west side. So maybe I could generalize to the canal is hexside terrain and the land portion of the hex showing dictates which side of the canal the hex lies on?

You know, I think that is right. The Egyptian unit in 39.24 can attack the BarLev fort in 39.23 via an all land hexiside, the canal is the three hexsides on the western half of his hex....

TIA for any help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Historical Campaign - Turns 1 thru 3 (now includes Turn 4!)
Dan and I were able to get together last night (Thursday, May 9) for a couple of hours after work. We were both mentally exhausted from our jobs, and also a bit distracted with the hockey game on in the background (Pens won 4-0 over the Isles! Yea!). As a result, we only completed one turn (Turn 4). However, it was, I believe, a pivotal turn.

Turn 4

By far the most important event of the entire turn happened right at the start, as I, as the Egyptian commander, was able to convince Cairo to release the Exploitation Reserves (in other words, I rolled a "10" on my release attempt!) Blessed be the Prophet, because without those reserves, things were going to fall apart rather quickly for my brave Egyptian troops. The Exploitation Reserves consist of two (2) tank divisions and two (2) mechanized infantry divisions. Given the potential disaster looming in the north, I allotted three of the four Reserve divisions to the 2nd Army in the North, while assigning the fourth reinforcement division to 3rd Army, in the South.

I immediately chose to attack two Israeli armor concentrations in the north that had advanced to Artillery Road. I was able to concentrate a fair amount of artillery to prep my attacks with barrages, and both attacks were relatively successful. The Israeli formations both received bloody noses and retreated from their forward positions - the threat to the Canal bridge in the north was halted for the time being.

In the center, I attacked some weak Israeli units south of Tasa, and was actually able to get into one of the Israeli artillery parks, causing some damage and disruption. I also used artillery in this sector to disrupt some strong Israeli formations. However, my Israeli counterpart still had enough armor available to make a strong attack on my southernmost flank, turning it and threatening my southern Canal bridge. However, I should be able to reestablish a decent defensive line there on my next turn. I will also need to pull two of my tank regiments in the center back in order for them to take replacements and get back up to full strength.

While my Israeli opponent continues his aggressive thrusts, the arrival of those four reinforcement divisions has at least momentarily allowed me to stabilize my line and get my artillery positioned. At this point, the plan is simple for me - use my artillery tubes to try and disrupt Israeli formations in order to break up pending attacks on my positions, and hope for a ceasefire sooner than later!

We will try to get together again in a week or so to continue the campaign. I am really enjoying this game and look forward to trying my other SCS titles soon.

I'd suggest that those of you interested in this AAR subscribe to this thread, as I will continue to post updates here, rather than submit new session reports for each new session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit busy right now, but hope to post the most recent turn soon. We just played Turn 5 last night. In short, things have stablized across the front for now, with one exception. My Israeli opponent has tentatively crossed the Suez Canal in the south, just north of Suez City. Six armor brigades and a recon battalion have crossed, but not very far, and this move has released my GHQ Reserves, which will hopefully rush to the location of the "intrusion" and seal it off! More details and photos to follow soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
I hope you post soon -- that's a good learning AAR for us, trying to play Egyptians. In my game, their lines crumbled and Egyptian army is in disarray -- in yours, Arabs formed a perfectly shaped front line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
I hope you post soon -- that's a good learning AAR for us, trying to play Egyptians. In my game, their lines crumbled and Egyptian army is in disarray -- in yours, Arabs formed a perfectly shaped front line.

Here's a sneak peek at what's coming - a single photo of the overall situation after Turn 5:

As you will see, the Egyptians do have a fairly strong line at this point, but things are getting "interesting" in the South. My GHQ Reserves will not be sufficient by themselves in pushing Dan's Israelis back across the Canal. With his great air superiority, any attack will be tough. Now, I could use my artillery to soften that stack of armor up a bit before attacking - maybe get a DG on him. However, I still think it's gonna be tough. At the same time, this game does not really favor defense, so just trying to contain his armor by setting up a perimeter may not be very successful either (though if I can get units set up on my side of that minor canal that parallels the Suez, that would help). In the center, the Israelis are actually kind of weak, and I am contemplating a push, if for nothing else but to distract my opponent. In the north, my Israeli opponent has pulled back and regrouped, and I expect he is planning to go back on the offensive.

It would be nice to get a favorable ceasefire roll soon! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Historical Campaign - UPDATED! Now Complete Through Turn 7 and Still Going!
Dan and I have just completed two more turns, turns 6 and 7. The battle rages on and to date, no ceasefire has been called. Here is the latest AAR from the front:

Turn 6:
The incursion of General Mendler's tank task force over the Suez released the last major Egyptian reinforcements - the GHQ Reserves. This powerful force was immediately dispatched to the location of the Israeli canal crossing, just north of Suez City. The Israeli command has been bold but rash, as Mendler's force, which included five tank battalions, had been sent across the canal without any infantry support, and the bridge which had been laid was left completely unguarded! GHQ troops immediately moved to capture the bridge and surround Mendler's force, cutting it off from the rest of the Israeli army.

In the north, the Israelis pushed hard against the Egyptian troops holding the strategic location of Zrakor. Egyptian infantry and engineer units desperately held the high ground, but the Israelis were throwing masses of tanks at the objective. In the center, the Israelis finally reinforced their units east of Tasa and were able to seize the vital road hub. Egyptian forces prepared to counterattack.

Turn 7:

In the south, Egyptian GHQ forces continued to reduce the Mendler pocket, destroying another two tank battalions and the division HQ. The Israelis were able to open a supply line to the second cut-off armored task force east of Lexicon Road, but that column remained in dire condition. In the center, Egyptian forces retook Tasa in a strong counterattack, just to see the Israelis reclaim the town later in the day. In the north, Israeli tank forces pushed the Egyptian off of Zrakor. Egpyitan high command must now consider their options in terms of risking a counterattack against Israeli tanks dug in on high ground.

Situation Analysis:

With 7 turns complete, and no ceasefire yet, the game is currently a draw, as each of us has a victory point. Dan has learned a costly lesson regarding advancing large stacks of tanks with no flank security, as doing so has allowed me to surround and punish two such forces in the south. At the same time, his Israeli forces are wearing me down in the north and the center. I believe I should be able to retake Tasa once again in the center, and even hold it, but I don't think I've got enough to dislodge him from Zrakor, the northern victory objective we've been fighting over the last two turns. If I can finish off General Mendler's units this next turn, that would release my GHQ troops to cross the canal and possibly help roll up the Israeli southern flank. That ought to get Dan's attention! All in all, this has been a great gaming experience - I'm really enjoying the SCS approach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Historical Campaign - UPDATED! Now Complete Through Turn 8 and Still Going!
Dan and I have now completed Turn 8:

In the south, the Egyptian GHQ Army completed the destruction of the Mendler Armored Division west of the Suez Canal. The GHQ Army then exploited east across the Canal and smashed into the Israeli positions there, pushing them back with several overrun attacks, though at some cost. The combined forces of the Egyptian 3rd and GHQ Armies are now putting extreme pressure on the Israelis, though the enemy was able to reconstitute two tank battalions to help shore up their position.

The northern sector saw an unexpected development. After Egyptian 2nd Army elements wrestled back control of the key hilltop at Zrakor, the Israelis fled the area! The Israelis formed a thin defensive line along the dunes to the east, while sending the bulk of their armor southeast, torwards the key road junction of Tasa. Egyptian forces had just retaken Tasa and now must gird themselves for what looks to be an all-out Israeli assault!

Analysis:
The game continues on its roller coaster ride! The turn felt very good for the Egyptians, as their attacks successfully recaptured two victory locations (Zrakor and Tasa) while also destroying the last remnants of the Israeli bridgehead over the Suez. However, when Dan pulled his tanks out of Zrakor and moved them towards Tasa, that threw me for a bit of a loop. Not only is Tasa threatened, but if he were to breakthrough, there would be little to stop him from pushing through Chinese Farm and right to the Canal again. Yet while I have to consider reinforcing my center at Tasa, I fear weakening my flanks, as the highly mobile Israeli formations could quickly move to threaten them instead. I'm really enjoying the tension that this game creates - the decisions are meaningful and not easy.

Now - if I could just get a ceasefire already (at the moment, were the game to end right now, I'd score a minor Egyptian victory)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reptillio Jazzdog
United States
York
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Get your pointer off of me or suffer!
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you get all those units across the canal on the first day?

I am currently playing through the game, and as I read the rules....

1) Infantry only can cross the canal w/o a bridge using their full movement value. So, they can get across and then not move. (Not into an EZOC, but since the forts do not have an attack rating they have no ZOCs)

2) Bridging takes place after movement. The bridges would not be available until movement on turn two.

3) You can use air-mobile on the first turn, but all those troops would be out of supply because the supply phase also takes place before bridging.

4) Exploitation can only happen along w/ an overrun attack. It is not a free move w/o combat (I think).

There are two amphibious units in the Southern army group that can do a bit of a walk-about the first turn....am I playing something wrong? I did not think it was possible to cross in force on turn 1. If so, that give the Egyptian player a huge positional leg up on the way I have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4) Exploitation can only happen along w/ an overrun attack. It is not a free move w/o combat (I think).

Not so . All motorised (yellow striped units) can move in the exploitation phase wether they overrun or dont.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcraun wrote:
How did you get all those units across the canal on the first day?

I am currently playing through the game, and as I read the rules....

1) Infantry only can cross the canal w/o a bridge using their full movement value. So, they can get across and then not move. (Not into an EZOC, but since the forts do not have an attack rating they have no ZOCs)

2) Bridging takes place after movement. The bridges would not be available until movement on turn two.

3) You can use air-mobile on the first turn, but all those troops would be out of supply because the supply phase also takes place before bridging.

There are two amphibious units in the Southern army group that can do a bit of a walk-about the first turn....am I playing something wrong? I did not think it was possible to cross in force on turn 1. If so, that give the Egyptian player a huge positional leg up on the way I have played.

Nope - your observations are unfortunately mostly incorrect! You forgot about exploitation movement, which comes after the bridging phase, and doesn't have any obligation to be tied to an overrun attack - it's just an additional movement phase for units with yellow boxes that don't start the phase in an EZOC! My exploitation capable units drove over the bridges during the Exploitation Phase of Turn 1! Remember as well - adjacent is good enough for supply line tracing, which is why those airmobile commando units were still in supply east of the Canal at the end of Turn 1 - they were adjacent to the Canal hexes:
1.6c Egyptian units west of
the Suez Canal are automatically
supplied if they can trace a path of
any length from the west map
edge to the unit as per SCS rule
12.1. Furthermore, the “adjacent
is good enough” rule in 1.6b
applies here as well—Egyptian
units are normally in supply
adjacent to the Suez Canal on the
eastern bank. This is the only case
where a unit can trace directly
from a map edge to be supplied

Don't feel bad though - while the SCS series is pretty simple in general, it still has some game-specific special chrome rules that can be overlooked. Happens all the time, and I do it too!

It's not hard at all for the Egyptians to get units over the Canal on the first turn - it's just hard to keep them there on all of the subsequent turns - dang IDF!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan and I have now completed Turns 9 and 10, and still the battle rages on!

As feared, the Israelis concentrated their armor for an assault on Tasa. The Egyptian troops holding this critical location were barely able to hold on to the town after the latest Israeli attack, and the Israelis used exploitation movement to partially cut off the town's defenders. It was doubtful if they could hold out for much longer.

The Israelis also pushed an armored battalion through a gap in 3rd Army's line and seized Chinese Farm, another important objective. To add to our woes, the Israelis also built a pontoon bridge across the Suez and sent an armored unit over the Canal!

All was not lost this day, however, as Egyptian forces in the north pushed east and closed up on the retreating Israelis. An opportunity presented itself to possibly cripple the Israeli army in this sector, and plans for Operation Thunderclap were quickly drawn up!

Overall situation - end of Turn 9:

The Israelis had overextended themselves, and now the Egyptian Army made them pay! In the north, Operation Thunderclap was launched! Two Egyptian tank regiments north of Tasa crossed the dunes to the north and destroyed the Israeli "Adan" division HQ, along with a self propelled artillery unit, and then exploited along the Lateral Road to a key road junction. Meanwhile, artillery bombardment disorganized an Israeli recon unit to the west of this same road junction, thereby allowing additional Egyptian units to reinforce this junction. The entire northern wing of the Israeli Army was now out of supply and a key victory location occupied!

In the center, the brave Egyptian defenders of Tasa were finally overwhelmed by Israeli tanks, but a line was still being held just west of the town, to prevent further Israeli advances. Further south, another dashing Egyptian effort yielded another surprising success. Five Egyptian tank regiments, supported by artillery, blasted the thin Israeli line south of the central dunes. Three of these regiments then slashed east and seized another critical road crossing along the Lateral Road. The Israelis quickly surrounded the Egyptian units and severely pounded them, but for the moment, the Egyptians were still holding out, and a relief operation to open a supply route to the brave tankers was being planned.

The overall situation, at the end of Turn 10:

Analysis: This was easily the most enjoyable two-turn sequence of the game yet! Turn 9 definitely belonged to Dan and his Israelis, who absolutely had me on the ropes. However, he left the door open just a crack for me to turn the tables, and I was able to seize two victory point locations, and put half his army out of supply on Turn 10! With the game clock and the related ceasefire clock ticking, both of us are now becoming desperate, lunging for victory point locations, knowing that the game is coming to an end. This really is a good reflection of how the actual war was fought, in that near the end (i.e. before the ceasefire), Sadat was pushing his army commanders to dash eastwards to capture the mountain passes, for the express purpose of improving Egypt's bargaining power at the negotiating table before the expected ceasefire was announced.

There are only two turns left at most, and both of our armies are ragged and depleted. Currently, the game would be scored a draw, with a -1 lean towards the Egyptians. Regardless of the final outcome, both Dan and I agree this has been a great, great gaming experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Historical Campaign - UPDATED! Now Complete Through Turn 10 and Still Not Over!
desertfox2004 wrote:
Currently, the game would be scored a draw, [/i]

How historical of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Historical Campaign - UPDATED! UN Ceasefire At The End of Turn 11 Holds!
...and it's all over! With the completion of Turn 11, the UN finally called for a ceasefire, and both sides accepted the request, formally ending hostilities and bringing the diplomats to the negotiation table!

Turn 11

In the north, the Egyptian 2nd Army consolidated its grip on the key junction of the Lateral and Ma'Adin roads (i.e. victory hex). Other 2nd Army elements advanced along Alaket Road towards Churchill Heights, another critical location. A recon unit was dispatched in a bold attempt to overrun the town of Romani, held at that time by an out of supply Israeli armored battalion. The Israelis called in an air strike to aid the defenders, and the battle was fought to mutual annihilation, which left the town in the hands of the Israelis. Later, an Israeli relief force managed to reoccupy the town.

In the center, the Israelis consolidated their grip on the town of Tasa, while dispatching some units northward to slow the Egyptian advance.

In the south, the Egyptians sent a half-strength tank regiment to the north to reclaim Chinese Farm, which the Israelis had briefly occupied. The anticipated relief operation to reopen the supply line to the tank regiments holding the road junction along the Lateral Road south of the dunes was regretfully called off, as it was decided that the attempt would be too risky, and threaten the entire Egyptian position in the south if it failed. Instead, those two regiments were simply ordered to stand and fight to the end. Hopefully they could hold out a couple more days and possibly be saved by a UN ceasefire. As it turned out, a UN ceasefire was called, but not before the Israelis overwhelmed the Egpytian position. The Israelis were also able to reestablish an armored bridgehead across the Suez after Egyptian artillery destroyed the previous bridgehead.

At this point, the UN finally issued a call for a ceasefire. The Israeli commander considered his position and the likely outcomes of another round of fighting and decided that the ceasefire was acceptable. The Egyptian commander thought likewise, and hostilities ceased as of midnight, October 26th. This phase of the 1973 Arab-Israeli War was over.

Analysis:
From a game perspective, the final result was a "Draw", with a score of "-1", which meant the draw was slightly in the favor of the Egyptians. Had I been able to either seize and hold Romani, or hold at the southern Lateral Road junction, or prevent Dan from reestablishing his bridgehead in the south, I would have scored a minor Egyptian victory, but I was satisfied with the draw.

Well, this was a blast! Dan and I blundered about in the desert and I think the draw was a fair ending to the adventure. In terms of performance, we both made some significant mistakes. For my part, my biggest mistake was advancing too far east at the start. The only thing that saved me was the good fortune of getting the Exploitation Reserves on the third turn of the game. These units allowed me to reinforce my positions and push the Israelis back, thereby preventing my army from being cut to pieces by Israeli tanks!

As for Dan, he and I agree that his biggest problem was being too careless in terms of protecting his flanks and his headquarters. Too often, I was able to outflank his positions and attack his artillery parks, seize objectives, and destroy two of his four HQ units. These HQ unit losses definitely constrained Dan's mobility near the end, and allowed me to make serious gains in the north.

All this being said, both of us also did a number of things right as well! I am happy that I boldly seized a number of objectives on the east side of the canal, and used my reserves effectively. Dan was aggressive with his armor and used it to good effect in reclaiming several key victory hexes.

Here is a snapshot of the losses each of us suffered during the campaign:

As noted, Dan lost at least another six (6) tank battalions not shown here, as they reentered the game via the Israeli "Tank Recovery" mechanism.

Well, that does it for our first play of Yom Kippur and our first SCS play. We are now preparing for our next SCS game - Stalingrad Pocket II!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Leo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.