Ken
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

First post here on BGG (long time lurker) I just received my copy of Arkham and have played a couple of half games today to try get a feel for it. I seem to have almost everything upderstood except for one rule.

When drawing Mythos cards can there be more than one of them in play at a time? I know that headline Mythos get resolved there and then but can there be and environment card and a rumour card at the same time? And does the next environment card you draw automatically replace the current one?

I think the requirements of a rumour card have to be met before they are replaced, but subsequent rumour cards need to have the normal mythos upkeep played (gates, monsters, clues) and then discarded.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Any hints on beating this game solo? I've only played against Yig and keep getting a whippin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There can be more than one Mythos card in effect at once. An unlimited number of rumours, and one environment card of each type (Weather, Mystic and Urban).

Single player is hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, only 1 rumor and 1 environment can be in play at a time, in addition to any headlines that might be lingering around.

With environments, each new environment replaces the previous one.

With rumors, a new rumor cannot take effect until the previous rumor has been resolved one way or another.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To help you beat it solo, try using 4 characters instead of 1. And maybe have Azathoth as the GOO . . .

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Managing four characters is a bit tedious, but you could try using two (preferrably a strong combat character like the gangster and a supporter character like the photographer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tedious? Might be a matter of opinion. From Richard Launius' House Rules (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ah_houserules.html):

Solitaire Play:

Rule 13 – Team of Investigators: In solitaire (and 2 player games) deal 6 Investigators and keep 4 to play. The game is played using 4 players as the base for victory conditions, monsters, combat with the Great Old One, etc…

Reason for the House Rule: It is more fun and more competitive to play as a team of Investigators. This way, if one Investigator is having tough luck, the others can keep you in the game. The team creates more strategic opportunities for the player, and in the end makes for a better adventure and gaming experience.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your replies. Helps me with my blunder a bit, Only ever had 1 Mythos card in play at a time.

I know in the FAQ it stipulates that you should use more than one investigator. But I want to beat this game with only one (is that actually even possible?). You know how it is, one hero against the world (Other World)..

Thanks again all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I woke Yig playing Joe Diamond (on his own) and managed to blow him away (with the help of a load of saved up Clues). So, yes, it is possible . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DodgeZA wrote:
P.S. Any hints on beating this game solo? I've only played against Yig and keep getting a whippin?

I'm not sure I'm fit to give advice on how to win with one investigator, since I've never actually pulled it off, but I've always been one or two turns away from victory when I got smushed, so I have my opinions.

I really think being deputy is valuable in a one investigator game. It allows you bypass all the monsters that will amost inevitably fill the town, and allows you to scoop up clues where ever they may pop up. It also give you the upkeep payroll, giving you the cash you would need to buy all your sanity/stamina back should you have to visit the hopsital/asylum. I also tend to avoid fighting monsters unless they're at a location because as a single investigator, you can't waste any turns standing in the street. Each turn goes by really fast, and the gates and terror track are pretty fast-paced. I also wouldn't play against Hastur unless you're a ninja or a masochist, since he makes all gates require 8 clues to seal, and I can barely keep up with getting 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to know the gate frequency for each location. Frequent locations need sealing, rare ones you can close. Also, tool up on weapons, magical and physical: they sure help vs Yig and they are also good vs monsters, which means trophies. Spells are not so helpful, unless your character has Strong Mind or can heal Sanity damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.