Rob Probin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Obviously I've read the other reviews here. Generally they are correct. However, I don't agree that this game is a total waste.

I've put a couple of rules changes in the variant section which help the game a little. Additionally, unlike one of the other reviewers, we allowed the Doctor to land next a Dalek on their home square. No need to make the players too depressed - this is meant to be entertainment after all.

The good:

The game was actually much better that we thought it was going to be. Initially it appeared as a simple run in a circle and collect cards game. But it's actually much more difficult and quite a competitive game and well enjoyed.

The Tardis provides a good amount of nice random events. Even the apparently terrible "lose all your cards" event can be, to some extent, recovered from. It didn't stop us from wanting to press that button!

The Daleks are fearsome, but quite fun to control. Sometimes we had a really good laugh chaising the other players around the board. And unless they have a poker face, you can thawt their run home because it's pretty obvious when they are going to the finish square.

The cards usually go to other players which means that someone else's bad luck is someones good luck and additionally the cards are still in players hands to be stolen back.

The bad:

Seeing how the game components themselves are of high quality, it's a pity the rules weren't play tested a few more times. Since the game is 7 to Adult, I'd have thought that simple rules could have been created to make the game acceptable to play.

The poor excuse for 'trading' could do with work - at the moment As I've said elsewhere, something like the trading in Settlers of Catan would give the game a whole new angle. Surely the multiple Doctors would want to help each other? Of course players want to win

The end game could do with shortening - but without losing the fun of thwarting the winning players. The number of squares to the home run need to be exact, for instance, could be removed I think without breaking the game play.

The players could be given more control generally, for example, the Daleks take a random card. Allowing the player to chose what card they lose rather than have a random selection gives the player opportunitiy to use space cards as protection. A rule about losing some cards when you have too many, similar to the hated robber in Settlers of Catan, might stop people having twenty cards in their hand.

Overall:

Would I buy this game? Yeah, I think so - but really you need to be willing to work on the rules.

As long as you don't take the game too seriously and are flexible it's one of those games that could give a good number of enjoyable plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a very frustrating game. Too many rule ambiguities. Don't intend to play it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.