Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game a few times on BGA, and I find it a very short,simple yet satisfying game for 2~3 players ( haven't tried 4,5 and 6).

My only minor quibble with the game though is the investor 1 cards, which in my opinion really lacked variety. the investor favoring comfort is not that different from the investor favoring range, and the fact that all additional symbols after the first 2 worth the same just makes the diversity (and the need to diverse) even less.

I might be wrong, but I personally think the investor 1 stack could be more varied, maybe giving different marks system. Some suggestions :

- X points for having 3 comfort, any additional would cost you points (or none at all) ?
- deduct points for having range?
- X marks for every set of comfort,range and power
- Comfort worth 3 points for 1st 2, every additional worth 2 each. Range worth 1 point for 1st 2, every additional worth 3 each.
-special rulings, like each unused repair symbol as a wild ?

IMO all these could add to the games variety and depth, without costing too much on the game's simplicity.

Just my 2 cents. Anyone else feels the same way??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
This one was one of the biggest issues we have had to work out with the game. It's tricky to give a balance between making the game easy to score, while making it difficult to predict the winner.

I can also tell you that in development, the game used to be a lot more difficult to win. Jukka should be by with a more relevant post soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka Höysniemi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Thank you for your interest and input on the game, it is good to get some conversation going on.

I understand your point and actually really like some of the suggestions you made like the unused Reliability as a wild for example. I will also explain the reasons that affected my approach for the investor 1 tiles.

Investor 1 tiles were difficult to design in a sense that I wanted them to be balanced and still scale to different player numbers.

By this I mean that there should never be too much difference between the best symbol and the worst so you are able to stay in the game even when collecting the worst symbol. Especially since there is some luck involved in getting just the right symbol before someone else takes it. Also the variance to every game comes with what there is to have on the table and what other players are collecting.

One challenge was to balance the investor tiles properly with small numbers (1-10). It would have been maybe easier to balance the investor symbols if the VP numbers would have been scaled higher but this would have resulted in making the junk yard and largest area scoring too weak and the computing a bit more demanding. So there was a lot of fiddling with this stuff.

Another reason I mentioned was the scaling for different number of players. In a 5 or 6 player game the symbols are much more harder to come by so the variance is not that relevant since you will probably be struggling to get even 2 of the same icons. You basically have to choose a path not taken by too many players and that will still give you enough points.

This of course is just my opinion as the designer and it is good to keep in mind there are still the Kickstarter pledge levels for tile designing in co-operation with me zombie

Finally, we are making the game for the audience after all so I will gladly take any suggestions into consideration.

EDIT: tried to get the zombie emoticon to show. 5 times the charm (or ticking disable emoticons off)

Cheers,
Jukka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeap i understood the reason behind the investor 1 tiles. I haven't tried the game with high player counts so I haven't thought of that. Thanks for the clarification!

Still I'll share some of my experience in some of my 2~3p games. Usually unless the investor 2 requires diversity in symbols, I go for the same symbol as much as possible, be it the worst or the best, since every additional 1 gives 2 point.

Technically speaking, that means the difference between the best symbol and the worst is only 1 extra tile, and as such it (IMO) provides less incentive for people to opt for any other symbol other than the one they obtain in the first 1/2 rounds. I had 1 game where players were opting for different symbols all together, and little blocking occurred. Of course, that should be a very rare case.

Then again, this is not taking into account of symbol availability in every given turn, the color of the parts and etc. And I guess when playing competitively even 1 point makes a HUGE difference.

There's also the many different strategies that could mess up your plans. I myself am very interested to see how going for straight junkyard tiles, building your prototype first and win with a score of 0 (while others fill theirs with heaps of scrap parts) will turn out

Either way, congrats on the simple,short yet awesome game! Can't wait to see what the unlocked mini expansions add to the game ( and I'm 99% sure that those will be unlocked )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka Höysniemi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

Let us hope that the project gets backed enough to give the backers the mini-expansion also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.