Subject: 5 players, 1st time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After seeing this game on TableTop a couple days ago, I rushed out and got a copy, and had my first (and so far only) chance to play a few hours ago. Here's how it went down, so far as I can remember the details:

The players, in clockwise order, were Josh, Austen, Janet, Ian, and me. After explaining the premise and the rules, I opted to start as the Leader. I dealt the Character cards (and ended up a loyal member of the Resistance), went through the business of having the Spies identify each other, and began the game. For the first mission, I selected myself and Josh. The players unanimously voted to approve the team (which made me suspect that perhaps I'd chosen unwisely), but the mission itself was a success. Josh was the Leader for the next round, so he selected himself, Austen, and me. This team was approved, though not by everyone this time around, and the mission was also successful. Austen's turn as Leader arrived; he selected Janet and Ian. At this point, the general consensus seemed to be that one or both of them were Spies, so this team was rejected; however, Ian was one of the rejectors, which led me to think that Austen and Janet were the Spies. Leadership passed to Janet, and at this point my memory becomes kind of fuzzy. I think she selected herself, Josh, and me; the team was approved, and the mission had one failure. Ian became Leader and selected himself, Josh, and me; that team was barely approved, and the mission was a success--thus giving victory to the Resistance. Austen and Janet, as you've probably figured out, were indeed the Spies.

Everyone agreed it was an interesting game, but that we could have used more people. One of the players was of the opinion that the game can't really work with just five players, that you really need seven or eight; otherwise, it's too easy to figure out who the Spies are. A couple of the other players concurred. Personally, I suspect the game is perfectly fine with only five players*; I think that the Spies just need to be less concerned with possibly outing themselves and do more to sow confusion among everyone else. I tried to get my group to play again, but they weren't really interested

Those of you who have played this game, what are your thoughts? Do you feel a group of five is large enough to keep it interesting, or should it really be more? What, in your opinion, is the "sweet spot" as far as the number of players is concerned?

*Certainly, the TableTop session seems to bear this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five is fine, but seven is usually considered the best number.

But I think the problem is that the first game is always tough, because no one really knows what to do.
To win as a spy, you have to approach the game from a "good" mindset... What would a rebel do in this situation?
For example, your friend Austen proposed a mission without himself on it, which is generally not "good rebel play," and only really makes much sense if you're a spy and you know one of your spy friends is on it.
Once players have played a few games, and get a better grasp of the strategies involved, you can start to have some really deep spy play, and it becomes a lot harder (and more satisfying) to figure everything out.

It's usually about the fourth or fifth game I play with new people when they really start to get it, and it becomes amazing.

As for undercover spy strategy, the aim for the spies is to fail three missions, not to remain undetected.
In a 5p game, if a spy is lucky enough to fail 2 missions, it's worth even being outted 100%, as they've done more than half the work of the team.
If the rebels haven't figured the whole team out by the end of the game, then being trusted doesn't matter. (Even if there is one dissenting rebel, that should be enough)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
5 is a very good number to play at. The designer playtested it most at that count. On TableTop, they played it 5.

We play it here on the PBF forum most at 7, then 5, then 10, then 8.

I try to avoid "vanilla" Resistance at more than 7. If we are playing The Resistance: Avalon, I will play it at higher than 7.

I avoid plot cards but many people like them.

The 5p game is very pure but spies must be on their toes and rebels must play well too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree 5 is a great pure game of The Resistance. It's not too crazy and you can still deduce a lot of what's going on. I think what happened here is you had no person in the game that has ever played before. Once people know more what's good play for either rebels, or spies, it will become amazing for you. For our group when we first bought it, it took 3 games, then everyone seemed to understand more what they should be doing and the tradoffs for not doing that depending on which role they are. I say try it a couple more times and I bet it gets better with each time. Also after the game is over, talk about specific turning points in the game, or when hunches turned true, or false based upon further data you received. That will help everyone learn the game faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool--it's good to know that five players really is enough to play this game. (I mean, I kind of figured as much--they seemed to be having a blast with just five players on TableTop.) Armed with this information, maybe I can convince these guys to give the game another try without needing to find more people.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Davis
United States
Corona
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was interested in this game after the table top episode and also ran out and found it. The first games were only five people. The first game they were all skeptical, but when it was over they wanted to play again......and again......and again.....and again. 10 plus times we played the first night the game hit the table. Surprisingly we were all a little to good at lying and misdirection because the spies won more often than the resistance. On our last game of the night there was so much lying, manipulation and distrust I didn't even trust my own judgement, man it was fun.

I think it takes people willing to commit to there roles. It takes people willing to talk, lie, and have a different kind of fun. Buts its not for everyone. I agree that 6 or 7 players could have added to the game but with my group, like on tabletop, it was the right number for a fun and exciting experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.