Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be trying a 3-player session of this soon, is 90 minutes a typical length for actual playtime (not including setup or rules explanation) or will it take a few games to get it down to that length?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron McDonald
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was two and a half hours. That was with three players (1 non gamer).
That included explaining the rules and tending to a screaming 2 year old. It will be MUCH quicker next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first play (with 3 players) was over 2 hours as well, and we felt like we were playing pretty quickly. Our most recent 4-player game was under 2 hours though, since everyone knew how to play, and spent a lot less time reading cards.

Really that's what slows it down for those initial plays -- reading the tiles, reading the gang member cards, reading the black market cards. Once familiarity sets in after a few games, it's much quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bishop
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You know, it's hard to answer that one accurately...
This game has a healthy learning curve to it and it's not one that can't be learned by anybody (meaning it doesn't exclude any intelligence levels).
It's also this requirement of thought that brings people back to the game time and time again I think.
Your first few games are going to be slow. You're not going to understand the cards or what they can do for you, you're not going to grasp the relationships between some aspects because they're subtle and very cleverly created.
So often, you're sitting there at the table thinking about your options for three minutes before you decide to "oh what the crap" and develop a tile, only to learn from "experience" what that tile will perform like.
To rush through and hope for an hour and a half end duration, well it'll only make you think about it for the next three hours telling yourself, you know, I should've done "this" instead.
Try to pick a "play time" where you have "lots" of time at the end. Take frequent breaks, even between every round to allow some people to get up and stretch, yell at their kids and or look at cards for a bit.
Also, try to spend some time reading other people's recorded play sessions (there's a decent few over at Plaid Hat's site). This will give you a great idea of the pace and flow, as well as some things you'll want to try.
Really, in this game, the only way to learn to avoid doing something, is to have already done it and regretted it. Or, to have read about someone else doing it, and understanding their regrets.
Fight the Yugai people..!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far this game has been 3 hours every time for me. We play as fast as we can, maybe it's slow, but just sayin. :) I'm considering this more of an "epic" game than a quick area control game, at least for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Slabon
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several 3 player games all of which took approximately 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten this game yet but I will in the near future. But I think like any game, the game length depends on the players. Some people are just slower no matter what. I mean when people have AP when playing Love Letter, then you know your in trouble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would plan 3 hours your first game but it's worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.