8 Posts

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taking Damage on "a" Turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ered Wethrin
msg tools
Hey all,
I keep finding ways I've made this game harder or easier on myself since I started playing it. Good thing is it was fun regardless, but I would love some official clarity on a couple things. Sorry about any goofiness in this post. Sent from a smartphone.

1) If my hero is on a location with a minion at the end of a different hero's turn, does my hero take damage? The reason I ask is the original rules state that damage is received at the end of 'a' turn, not 'their' or 'my' turn. We've been playing with damage every turn and it has really amped up the difficulty.

2) If there are 2 red minions on a location and 2 more are added, is that 1 or 2 taints added? I would think 2, 1 for the 3 demon effect and 1 for the overrun, but we've had some difference of opinion on it.

3) If I am the eagle rider and I need to visit all 3 inns, must I end an action at the inn, or does moving into and out of the inn as part of my 4 moves per action count?

4) As part of the "scout a general" quests, if I complete the question and draw a special card, does that count as the card I get to keep?

Editing this to clean it up a little and also to mention: I have read all the FAQs I can find (the 19pg one and the heroes expansion one) and neither answered these questions unless I missed it! If they did, please let me know where, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find the FAQ here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/75371/defenders-of-the-rea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ered Wethrin
msg tools
I read both FAQs, they do not have the answers to these questions.

-Ered

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ered Wethrin wrote:
Hey all,
I keep finding ways I've made this game harder or easier on myself since I started playing it. Good thing is it was fun regardless, but I would love some official clarity on a couple things. Sorry about any goofiness in this post. Sent from a smartphone.

1) If my hero is on a location with a minion at the end of a different hero's turn, does my hero take damage? The reason I ask is the original rules state that damage is received at the end of 'a' turn, not 'their' or 'my' turn. We've been playing with damage every turn and it has really amped up the difficulty.

2) If there are 2 red minions on a location and 2 more are added, is that 1 or 2 taints added? I would think 2, 1 for the 3 demon effect and 1 for the overrun, but we've had some difference of opinion on it.

3) If I am the eagle rider and I need to visit all 3 inns, must I end an action at the inn, or does moving into and out of the inn as part of my 4 moves per action count?

4) As part of the "scout a general" quests, if I complete the question and draw a special card, does that count as the card I get to keep?

Editing this to clean it up a little and also to mention: I have read all the FAQs I can find (the 19pg one and the heroes expansion one) and neither answered these questions unless I missed it! If they did, please let me know where, thanks!

1) http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/549918/adding-minions-after-...

2) http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/542113/4th-demon-taint-and-o...

3) The Quest card "Travel to 3 Inns" requires the character to visit the three inns. It does not require the character to spend an action at the inn. Quests that require an action to be used so state on the Quest card.

4) The four "Scout the General" Quests specify which color card the player gets to take as a reward. Purple [Special] is not one of the colors specified [Black/Blue/Green/Red]. Note, the Defenders of the Realm: The Dragon Expansion has three "Scout the Dragon" Quests which specify a color and, again, purple is not one so specified.

In addition to the two FAQs above, there is also a Hero Expansions FAQ, and at least 200 rules threads [two of which I cited in answering questions 1 and 2]. Regrettably, there are also other questions/answers that are buried in General and Sessions threads also, which are not easily searchable.

Good hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an authority on this game, but I'll give your questions a try.

1. You only take damage from minions when it's your turn. I have a couple of sources for this one.

The first is pages 5 and 7 of the rulebook. Page 5 mentions, "...during her turn, the player completes each of the following steps...prior to the next player taking his turn, Daytime..." and then proceeds to describe what happens during the Daytime part of the turn. Suffering Wounds is described on page 7, which is still in the Daytime part of the turn. So wounds from minions are suffered during the Daytime part of your turn.

The FAQ also has a Suffering Wounds section, and it includes the following answer: "Wounds...are applied to the hero when they have completed all of their actions...any minions that may appear on the hero's location by a Darkness Spreads card or an overrun will not do wounds to the hero." Since only the active hero is completing actions on his/her turn, only the active hero suffers those wounds.

Edit: I see Aging One has already answered your questions. His answers look reasonable to me. Hope you're enjoying the game. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ered Wethrin
msg tools
Thanks for the help all! A clarification of the "Travel to 3 Inns"; you cannot fly over during a move, you must end a movement on the inn.

Well, gosh, this is going to make things easy. But now I understand how the Ranger is viable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
How would you fly over an Inn in the first place? Roads terminate at Inns; you can't go past them.

I was thinking that you use some of the eagle rider's 4 movement to fly to an Inn and then reverse course to leave the Inn and go elsewhere with any remaining movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Sphere wrote:
How would you fly over an Inn in the first place? Roads terminate at Inns; you can't go past them.

I was thinking that you use some of the eagle rider's 4 movement to fly to an Inn and then reverse course to leave the Inn and go elsewhere with any remaining movement.

I realized that's what you must have been thinking, and deleted my question, but it appears you were already writing your reply. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the answer given - when I went back east last year I flew over Chicago but didn't visit there. Is it different for the Eagle Rider? Not something I see in the FAQ, so I'm not sure what is the best answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.