Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
30th anniversary edition. have all three expansions.

1> The rules state "During your game turn, you MUST perform these actions in order: 1. Play a Terrain tile from your "hand" - Once and once per turn only, you MAY play a Terrain tile you've obtained during a previous round." So which is it? must? or may? And have I been playing too many card games? I'm assuming I MAY play a tile, but dont have to - but if I do - I MUST play it as my first action.

2> Reaching a Safe Isle - implies that a swimmer in one of the two adjacent hexes needs to spend another movement to get on the land. Isn't really clear about the people in boats. So I'm assuming that once you get to one of the two hexes touching the island, you need one more movement whether you're in a boat or in the water. Is that right?

3> Dolphins. Rules says if I move a dolphin-protected swimmer with my normal move actions, I can move the dolphin with the swimmer. If someone else rolls a dolphin on the dice, they can move the dolphin away from me, or steal the dolphin for their swimmer in the same hex. But what if I roll the dolphin on the die? Can I move the dolphin and take the swimmer with me? Because of the hex the dolphins replace I would assume so... but it doesn't actual say that anywhere. And I'll also assume that if the dolphin dives, I can't go with it?

I'm making a lot of assumptions and its 3am. so hopefully this makes enough sense for you guys to figure out how to reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, you have it right: if you're going to play a tile from your "hand" then it needs to be at the start of your turn, but you're not required to play it. I often hold on to my "move Sea Serpent" tile (if I have one) until I see one getting too close to my meeples.

2. Yes

3. I just got the Dolphin expansion and we had this issue arise last night. We played that you could still NOT move your swimmer more than one space in the water (since the dolphin acts to protect the swimmer from everything), but we weren't sure if we were playing this correctly or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Joe on his answers for #1 and #2. The answer for #3 is a bit harder. I asked Stephen for his take on several scenarios and I will post in here once he responds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible that since this question isn't on the forums already that the first Stronghold edition - that had the dolphins and dive dice included - has a clear answer to question 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I went to check deeper and I think the simple answer is simply you do not have to move the dolphin away. Seems both the previous and the 30th ed. state you "may" move...etc. I don't see a "must" for the creature movements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jefftang wrote:
Actually, I went to check deeper and I think the simple answer is simply you do not have to move the dolphin away. Seems both the previous and the 30th ed. state you "may" move...etc. I don't see a "must" for the creature movements?

Well I agree that you don't have to move the dolphin - anything can move 0. But my question is, if the dolphin is protecting me and I do move him myself - does he drag me with him?

Thematically, I would think so. And like a lot of people who have been to Sea World I have first hand experience of dolphin rides...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
jefftang wrote:

Well I agree that you don't have to move the dolphin - anything can move 0. But my question is, if the dolphin is protecting me and I do move him myself - does he drag me with him?

Thematically, I would think so. And like a lot of people who have been to Sea World I have first hand experience of dolphin rides...

We'll have to wait and see, I'm interested in what Stephen's take is on this type of scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
jefftang wrote:

No, the rules say nothing about dragging Swimmers along with the Dolphin, only the other way around. The only thing it says about moving Dolphins already attached to Swimmers is that Swimmers are eaten if they're in a monster space and the Dolphin moves away, and that you may attach a Dolphin to another Swimmer in the same space if instead of moving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
stevelabny wrote:
jefftang wrote:

No, the rules say nothing about dragging Swimmers along with the Dolphin, only the other way around. The only thing it says about moving Dolphins already attached to Swimmers is that Swimmers are eaten if they're in a monster space and the Dolphin moves away, and that you may attach a Dolphin to another Swimmer in the same space if instead of moving it.

A few different issues here:

First, all creature movement is optional. The creatures may be moved UP TO X spaces. So, a Sea Serpent up to 1 space (0-1), a Shark up to 2 spaces (0-2), etc.

Second, Dolphin movement is like any other creatures movement, so the Dolphin movement:

1. is optional (you can move 0 spaces)
2. is alone (you don't drag swimmers with you).

Hope that helps!

Enjoy Surviving!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks Stephen, for coming to clarify things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savoy Lord
France
antony
flag msg tools
mb
Rules Clarifications : Blue Dices + Squid rules
Just for confirmation and corrections as some things are just confusing me :

1 - We get rid of any red ice ( 1 provided in main game + 1 provided with the dolphin dive expansion) right ?

2 - Dolphin appears on any dolphin icon terrain tile revealed. the tile is immediately discarded. Dolphins protects swimmer fom shark and sea snake attack only -----AND wopn't help him move 3 spaces instead 1 as long as it is on the same sea space YES or NO ?-----,when the swimmer moves netxt time, the dolphin doesn't follow him, it will only if the player role a star symbol or a dolphin symbol and choose the dolphin to move 1 space to stay with him.

3 - when we reveal a whale tile, we can both place a whale on that free sea space AND a squid anywhere on a sea space adjacent to that space. (it kills automatically any adjacent meeple located on a terrain tile or on a boat).

4 - when we roll the blue creature die we have 6 faces : dolphin,shark, sea monster,boat, star (any creature/empty boat), whale (that means squid too, but choose one of the 2). Right ? Then we see the distance with second dice so 1 space, 2 space or 3 spaces, the D meaning any free sea space on the board.

BUT we ONLY roll the distance die for dolphin, boat and squid right ? for the other creatures it is written on the game board.

5- a whale enterring a squid space kills it as well as a squid entering a whale space kills it. ( is it because of suprised attack ? backstabbin' ?) that is strange...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lordsavoy wrote:
Just for confirmation and corrections as some things are just confusing me :

1 - We get rid of any red ice ( 1 provided in main game + 1 provided with the dolphin dive expansion) right ?

With the dolphin expansion, use the 2 blue dice, put the red dice back in box.

Quote:

2 - Dolphin appears on any dolphin icon terrain tile revealed. the tile is immediately discarded. Dolphins protects swimmer fom shark and sea snake attack only -----AND wopn't help him move 3 spaces instead 1 as long as it is on the same sea space YES or NO ?-----,when the swimmer moves netxt time, the dolphin doesn't follow him, it will only if the player role a star symbol or a dolphin symbol and choose the dolphin to move 1 space to stay with him.

In the Dolphin expansion, the dolphin will not help the swimmer move 3 spaces (that only happens in the base game). When the swimmer moves next time (only 1 space), the dolphin moves with it. When another player rolls the star symbol, it can allow that player to move the dolphin away from you. For example, to attach to their swimmer in the same hex or in another hex.

Quote:

3 - when we reveal a whale tile, we can both place a whale on that free sea space AND a squid anywhere on a sea space adjacent to that space. (it kills automatically any adjacent meeple located on a terrain tile or on a boat).

I recall you can place the squid on a sea space, adjacent to a land tile. Not necessarily adjacent to the space you just removed. Plus, initially you only can kill a meeple on land adjacent to the squid, not on a boat, the boat option comes later.

Quote:

4 - when we roll the blue creature die we have 6 faces : dolphin,shark, sea monster,boat, star (any creature/empty boat), whale (that means squid too, but choose one of the 2). Right ? Then we see the distance with second dice so 1 space, 2 space or 3 spaces, the D meaning any free sea space on the board.

Yes, move either whale or squid, not both. The distance to move is up to the number. Yes, D means to a free sea space.

Quote:

BUT we ONLY roll the distance die for dolphin, boat and squid right ? for the other creatures it is written on the game board.

No, ignore the game board movement rules, if you are using the blue dice. The game board rules are for the base game only.

Quote:

5- a whale enterring a squid space kills it as well as a squid entering a whale space kills it. ( is it because of suprised attack ? backstabbin' ?) that is strange...

Think of it as they hate each other. I think it is to avoid confusion as to what happens first if a boat shows up in the hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to add that for the squid expansion, there are two variants also.

1. Squid to replace Whales in the game, so place whales back in box.

2. Initial placement of squid DOES NOT eat/kill a meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I like the 2nd variant, as I have found that when squids come into play, they are far too powerful if they immediately have the ability to snatch a meeple from the island. Love this game; love these expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
jefftang wrote:

No, if a dolphin is moved because of the dice and you elect to move it out of the hex it's in, it abandon's the swimmer. Dolphins never enhance a swimmers movement (in fact nothing allows a swimmer to move more than one space per turn).

As someone pointed out though, if your the person that rolled the dice you can always elect not the move the dolphin off of your current swimmer. When you roll creature dices the movement you get is the max distance you can move (You don't have to move the required space), so you can always move zero.

During the swimmers turn, if he still has the dolphin attached they both can move one hex together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.