Subject: Expansion and the base game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight finally clicked with me and I am really enjoying it solo.

I´m wondering what I would get out of the expansion (additions to the base game) even if I am not all that desperate for new scenarios.

Its a great game, and its getting tempting to just pick up the expansion (at the cost of not being able to get something else though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry you get a lot, also specials for solo players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New spells, new actions, new tiles, new terrain, new units, a new hero with new skills, new monsters, new scenarios, and a new baddie to replace the dummy.

I play mostly solo as well, and have found it a great addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sherwood
United States
Reading :-(
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
if you haven't already done so, you might care to take a cruise through the MK:LL rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the new scenarios yet, but you get a ton even without them. There are additions to nearly every card deck (new spells, artifacts, advanced actions and units). New enemies, new tiles with new site types. Each character gets an additional unique card for their starting deck, plus a cooperative (or solo) skill to replace the competitive-only skill from the base game. A new character. There are even some rebalanced cards and some new variants to try. The rulebook says that general volkare is the focus of the expansion, but in truth, the new scenario stuff accounts for only like 5% of it.

That being said, if you have not yet started feeling bored with the base game, I would suggest waiting on the expansion for now. With it, you will pretty much be encountering new cards every time you play, which decreases the likelihood that you will be able to really get familiar with any of them and learn how to use them best. Otherwise, it can be really overwhelming, especially with rules questions some cards can raise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:
Mage Knight finally clicked with me and I am really enjoying it solo.

I´m wondering what I would get out of the expansion (additions to the base game) even if I am not all that desperate for new scenarios.

Its a great game, and its getting tempting to just pick up the expansion (at the cost of not being able to get something else though).

The *primary* reason to pick up the expansion, IMHO, is for its additions to any solo or cooperative game. I can't see myself going back very frequently...and even then, mostly just for a game or two so someone newer to the game can learn the basic rules.

Nearly all of the scenarios become better (as there are rules to include Volkare's camp in place of a city). There are also 3 new scenarios -- 2 regular and 1 blitz -- that feel a lot more like quests. I find the "dummy" is a lot more interesting, and -- once setup is complete -- actually plays faster as well...no reshuffling every round and no fiddling with cards at end of round.

Check out the rule book linked to above, but I think Solo or Cooperative play got the biggest boost by the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In which way is the coop-game improved? In the basic game coop play it is often more like two solo-games on the same board. Sure sometimes you have to talk like 'may I take this unit/die/card or do you need it?' but I always think there could be more... even the combined city-assault is not really cooperative - everybody fights his own enemies, I can't use my spells/skills to help my felow mage knight on his part of the city, and we can't even decide who takes which enemy...
I know about the coop-skills and think they will help a bit but is there enything else which makes coop-game more cooperative?

Does the expansion make the influence-skills more worthwile to take? In the moment I have the impression that I'm not the only one who nearly never takes them. Will this change in the expansion? (The only thing I can see which could help are heroes because now there are more situations where you need influence in combat than just a few advanced actions.)

What is the effect of the additional monsters? Now I don't know which enemy I have to fight but can make good guesses how risky it is to start a fight. I'm a bit afraid that with the expansion it becomes too difficult to say and you either have to be really powered up to start a fight against unknown enemies or you have to take much more risks.
Are the new enemies stronger or just different?

Is there anything you don't like with the expansion? Are there changes you don't like? Things you would have designed different? Aspects which aren't well balanced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great answers so far, I does sound like the expansion should be on top of my want list. Games are becoming extremely expensive here in Iceland thanks to the economy so I am forced to pace myself on expanding games I like.

I figured that since Mage Knight is something I can pick up and play whenever it suits me, it might be the most practical game to focus on in my collection (there is however alot of different stuff I want to get for games that I cant solo).

Its a tough choice, but it sounds like I wont be disappointed from having more options in MK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
In which way is the coop-game improved?

Obviously more stuff improves both the coop and the competitive game: more skills, spells, variety of monsters and all of that. But that's not really what I think you want to know.

Volkare is a much tougher opponent and requires a lot more coordination. While in many of the conquest scenarios it's possible late-game for each player to take one city with maybe some help from a second, Volkare absolutely requires as many people as possible to divide the enemies in order to avoid knockouts. This means a LOT more coordination of where you go on the map and how you time Volkare's movement (in the Return scenario you have to find the city and conquer it, in the Quest scenario you all have to converge on a moving target), and it means a lot more sharing of the sites along the way since you need everyone closer to even to reduce the odds of someone getting overwhelmed. The end game is far more intertwined and IMO much more fun.

Fluxx wrote:
Does the expansion make the influence-skills more worthwile to take?

Yes. In Volkare scenarios he can either scare off units in the offer or (even worse) recruit them to his own army, which is already too big. So using influence to recruit those units first is important. There are also several Advanced Actions that make use of Influence for other effects (for example, Diplomacy turns Influence into Ice or Fire Block).

Fluxx wrote:
What is the effect of the additional monsters?

Mostly variety. Their power levels aren't THAT much scarier than other chits of the same color, with maybe one or two exceptions, but you have more variance in the types of attacks you're handling and how you can handle them. I've found that early on if I'm going into a dungeon or monster den it's still Medusa and the Werewolf that worry me far more than any of the new ones, for example.

Fluxx wrote:
Is there anything you don't like with the expansion?

Off the top of my head I can't think of much, no. I think that the Volkare Blitz isn't tuned correctly, and I recognize that people who prefer competitive games didn't get as much done for them as we who like cooperative games did, but overall I'm very pleased with it and don't plan on separating out old from new for any future games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:

What is the effect of the additional monsters?
Are the new enemies stronger or just different?

One thing to note is that with the new monsters, there is slightly more emphasis on blocking attacks. Arcane immunity forces you to somehow be able to take the hit, or block it. Multiple attacks makes it harder to block with just one good card or unit (i.e. Golems). For some, this requires a massive change of playstyle. Me, I was a Tovak fan from the beginning, and found this expansion greatly justified my choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great feedback, its settled. Expanding MK is now top of my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new scenarios are vastly more interesting than just beating up cities, they're totally worth the expansion alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small update

I picked it up today and I dont think I will regret it, other games will have to wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.