flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

The LibLog version of Let's Catch The Lion! no longer contains Maiko's artwork as the contract between them and Nekomado has ended. This has been the case for quite a while actually. They are still allowed to sell the game, just not with the original artwork.

The app that's currently officially recognized by Nekomado appears to be this one: https://itunes.apple.com/app/catchthelionwars/id598846698?uo...

They also have their own app, but this is only available in the Japanese iTunes Store. Which means that it can't be bought by people from outside Japan (as far as I know at least..).
Here's the link anyway: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/doubutsushougi-gong-shi/id53...

Martijn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
I just installed the Dobutsu Shogi Wars app from Heroz on my iPad (
https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/catchthelionwars/id598846698...). It does look neat but apart from some English texts there's lots of Japanese in there (which I can't read) and the interface is far from user friendly.

I wish there was some way to get the official app from the Japanese iTunes Store. Surely there must be a way for me to get that app (apart from jailbreaking)?

Martijn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody know why BGG routes URL's I post through LinkSynergy? Just so that they can gather stats or something?

Or maybe I should put URLs in my messages differently?

This is the first time I notice that BGG does this. Is this something new?

Martijn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://itunes.com/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kneedecide/id405607817?uo=4&...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kneedecide/id405607817?mt=8
link

http://play.goko.com/Dominion/gameClient.html
https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#artists

…looks like it's only doing it to internal itunes links (the second through fourth above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martinus wrote:
I just installed the Dobutsu Shogi Wars app from Heroz on my iPad (
https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/catchthelionwars/id598846698...). It does look neat but apart from some English texts there's lots of Japanese in there (which I can't read) and the interface is far from user friendly.

I wish there was some way to get the official app from the Japanese iTunes Store. Surely there must be a way for me to get that app (apart from jailbreaking)?

Martijn

The only jailbreak route would be to pirate it.

The proper solution is to create a Japanese iTunes account (which is super easy, you don't need a CC) and get a Japanese iTunes gift card, they can be had for slightly over retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info! I'm not into pirating so making another account is the way to go. I'm not sure if I will though. Maybe I'll just wait for an int'l version to arrive.

Martijn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martinus wrote:
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info! I'm not into pirating so making another account is the way to go. I'm not sure if I will though. Maybe I'll just wait for an int'l version to arrive.

Martijn

Creating a Japanese account is terrifically easy, and I've found some cool games unique to them.

To be honest, though, the game that used to be legit according to your info is still active on the App Store.

Why not just get that version and go with that? You can always donate some money to the devs as a treat

Otherwise, it's another account that might show you a little number on your update list in iTunes if you forget. Like I have. So often. Sigh.

But I am rambling now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick,

I did buy the original LibLog version back when it was first released. It still had the original artwork then, which is part of the reason I bought it.

By the way, now that we're rambling, what are your thoughts about a dev removing the original graphics from their app? I understand why they did it (the license ending) but I personally think it's a bit silly. I bought the app because of the game/graphics combo, and then they take out the graphics. It's 'a bit' like buying say, a Porsche and then after half a year they switch out the Porsche body for a Lada body or something like that.

I'm not saying it's LibLog's fault alone. Of course the party owning the license is responsible as well.

I just think it would have been better to discontinue the app altogether and somehow get the installed base over to the new version. Or maybe code it in a way so that people that bought the app while the license was still active still have the original skin available to them, while more recent buyers won't.

Now don't get me wrong. It's really not a big deal in the greater scheme of things. And I like the original designers a lot. It's just a bit sad that the cooperation with Liblog apparently didn't go as planned.

Martijn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United Kingdom
Ventnor
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dobutsu Shogi Wars app from Heroz is amazing, I love the online play. The other app is great too even without the artwork because of the Lion Hunt puzzle mode, but the Heroz app is definitely the best.

It's gorgeous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
The current English iOS version of Catch the Lion allows you to put the lion in check - which I thought was not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sanders wrote:
The current English iOS version of Catch the Lion allows you to put the lion in check - which I thought was not allowed.

I'm confused; how would you checkmate the lion (which is the main goal of the game) if you weren't allowed to put the lion in check?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Sanders wrote:

I'm confused; how would you checkmate the lion (which is the main goal of the game) if you weren't allowed to put the lion in check?

I reckon he means to put your own lion in check..

In Dobutsu Shogi 'everything' is allowed because the game is primarily for younger children. Putting your own lion in check, dropping a chick in the far row, it's all good! Goro-Goro Dōbutsu Shōgi adds some more restrictions, and after that comes the full version, Dobutsu Shogi in the Greenwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Martinus wrote:

In Dobutsu Shogi 'everything' is allowed because the game is primarily for younger children. Putting your own lion in check, dropping a chick in the far row, it's all good!

Aha, OK!

OK, I can think of 2 reasons why "you can't put yourself in check" matters (as opposed to just being a pointless rule against doing a blunder which letters your opponent immediately capture your king):
1. If by capturing your opponent's king, your own king became in check.
2. In this tiny shogi variant, that you can't win by advancing to the far row if doing so puts your king in check.

Are there any other cases I'm overlooking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Martinus wrote:

In Dobutsu Shogi 'everything' is allowed because the game is primarily for younger children. Putting your own lion in check, dropping a chick in the far row, it's all good!

Aha, OK!

OK, I can think of 2 reasons why "you can't put yourself in check" matters (as opposed to just being a pointless rule against doing a blunder which letters your opponent immediately capture your king):
1. If by capturing your opponent's king, your own king became in check.
2. In this tiny shogi variant, that you can't win by advancing to the far row if doing so puts your king in check.

Are there any other cases I'm overlooking?

I think that's the complete list.

The 'blundering' is an important part for young children learning the game. Both scenarios are allowed because it leaves room for children to learn the difference between reaching the other side and reaching the other side safely, and that the game ends immediately if a lion is captured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Martinus wrote:
russ wrote:
Sanders wrote:

In Dobutsu Shogi 'everything' is allowed because the game is primarily for younger children. Putting your own lion in check, dropping a chick in the far row, it's all good! Goro-Goro Dōbutsu Shōgi adds some more restrictions, and after that comes the full version, Dobutsu Shogi in the Greenwood.

Yes, that is what I mean. Sorry for not making myself clearer. However, both the English rules here on BGG AND the English rules that the Japanese publisher gives out say you cannot put your own lion in check. Here is a quote from the official English rules: "You cannot move your piece to a square with another piece of yours, nor can move your lion to a square that any of your opponent’s pieces can move to."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Sanders wrote:
Martinus wrote:
russ wrote:
Sanders wrote:

Yes, that is what I mean. Sorry for not making myself clearer. However, both the English rules here on BGG AND the English rules that the Japanese publisher gives out say you cannot put your own lion in check. Here is a quote from the official English rules: "You cannot move your piece to a square with another piece of yours, nor can move your lion to a square that any of your opponent’s pieces can move to."

I know that oftentimes when they demo the game, especially to younger children, they are pretty lenient with the rules so that the players are really free to do what they want. If they make a bad move, like putting your lion in check, you learn pretty quickly not to do that.. My guess is they opted to implement it they way they did in order also have this openess in the digital version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Martinus wrote:
I know that oftentimes when they demo the game, especially to younger children, they are pretty lenient with the rules so that the players are really free to do what they want. If they make a bad move, like putting your lion in check, you learn pretty quickly not to do that.. My guess is they opted to implement it they way they did in order also have this openess in the digital version.

Thank you. I recently picked up a hard copy of the game (I am also picking up Goro and Greenwoods as well, but still waiting for them to get here). I am getting a copy of the book sent from Japan, until then I was going by English rules I can find out on the internet. With the iOS app not going by English rules I am finding - it was a little confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martinus wrote:
Hi all,

The LibLog version of Let's Catch The Lion! no longer contains Maiko's artwork as the contract between them and Nekomado has ended. This has been the case for quite a while actually. They are still allowed to sell the game, just not with the original artwork.

The app that's currently officially recognized by Nekomado appears to be this one: https://itunes.apple.com/app/catchthelionwars/id598846698?uo...

They also have their own app, but this is only available in the Japanese iTunes Store. Which means that it can't be bought by people from outside Japan (as far as I know at least..).
Here's the link anyway: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/doubutsushougi-gong-shi/id53...

Martijn

Martijn, not sure if you're subscribed to this, but I clicked your JP link and in the process of downloading it after buying. I'm UK based, so I am pretty sure you'd be able to get it too. Not so sure about US iTunes users, mind...

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tip! I was indeed able to download the app in the Dutch store now too! Nice!

Martijn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.