Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you can jump past a bear when jumping over a waterfall, and you can only jump if clearing a waterfall, no other time, and it requires two swim cards to execute a jump.

What if the bear is not on the waterfall hex, but is directly above or below it, and one of my two jump cards is a double swim so I travel far enough to get past the bear as well as the falls? Do I still escape the bear?

I'm thinking yes, but would like an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Just if it's on the waterfall hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you escape the bear in that case.

From the rulebook, "A Bear doesn’t affect you if you jump over it. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Gagnon
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to contradict previous statement that when using a double swim card with a single swim for jumping it doesn't count for a 3 hex move. As well, this would split the double swim card which might be what allows this but I thought that wasn't allowed for jumping. You need 2 swim cards just to jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patgagnon wrote:
This seems to contradict previous statement that when using a double swim card with a single swim for jumping it doesn't count for a 3 hex move. As well, this would split the double swim card which might be what allows this but I thought that wasn't allowed for jumping. You need 2 swim cards just to jump.

A double swim and a single swim, when jumping does count for a 3 hex move

Edit: Relevant post from Jesse here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HokieGeek wrote:
patgagnon wrote:

A double swim and a single swim, when jumping does count for a 3 hex move

Edit: Relevant post from Jesse here

Darn it.

This could have helped me out last night, let me tell you. My wife's salmon had been the first to jump a waterfall. As soon as she landed, I cheekily sent a bear to maul her. Oh, how I laughed.

... Until I realized that the exact spot the bear was standing was the only landing spot for my own waterfall jump. Oh, how she laughed.

Had I a double swim, I could have combined it with a single swim to perform a super jump two spaces beyond the falls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between the rule book and the scattered threads here, I'm getting rather frustrated with this gameangry I could have sworn I read in another thread that you can only jump a bear in a waterfall and that nothing else can be jumped. I know a FAQ is being worked on, but as far as I'm concerned, it can't get here soon enough...

Sorry Jesse...just getting frustrated. I definitely enjoyed my last play with the variant (see this thread: This little change made it feel way more like a deck builder. )

I will say I'm not sure how to reconcile this with your statement in this thread: Jumping over non-waterfall hexes with special icons. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Between the rule book and the scattered threads here, I've about had it with this gameangry I could have sworn I read in another thread that you can only jump a bear in a waterfall and that nothing else can be jumped. I know a FAQ is being worked on, but as far as I'm concerned, it can't get here soon enough...

Sorry Jesse...just getting frustrated. I definitely enjoyed my last play with the variant (see this thread: This little change made it feel way more like a deck builder. )

I will say I'm not sure how to reconcile this with your statement in this thread: Jumping over non-waterfall hexes with special icons. Am I missing something?

Yeah, I'm not sure why he gave that answer to this question. I'm guessing he answered too quickly? Otherwise, if this answer wasn't in error, then I agree: It's all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know which thread that's in to check, but I thought he said that you can't jump over a bear just to jump over a bear.

I think we have everything ironed out now:
...You can't jump unless you're jumping over a waterfall.
...The waterfall doesn't need to be adjacent to the start of the jump.
...Jumping requires any two Swim cards.
...The spaces moved is as appropriate for those cards.
...The path you follow must be legal depending on the order of the cards played.
...You can't combine a Left and a Right to jump.
...You gain cards based on icons you jump over.*
...You ignore bears you jump over.
...Jumping adds its own fatigue.

*EDIT: Looks like we didn't quite have it after all, and you only gain icons on waterfall spaces.
For more, see Guide to Jumping

Obviously the jumping section needed work, but it's not like this is Sedition Wars. Salmon Run worked just fine with our incorrect understanding of how it was meant to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about Sedition Wars, but for a game that's supposed to be a family game, there are far too many questions being raised (and yes, by and large the big issue is the jumping).

I've enjoyed the game based on my own interpretations now that I've played with the variant, but this one has me confused. Thought I had it all down, and now maybe I don't???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drktron wrote:

Thanks Jesse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tradewinds Ted wrote:
drktron wrote:

Thanks Jesse!

If you come back to this thread Jesse, I'd appreciate it if you could reconcile what you said here with the thread I linked to where you appear to say the opposite. Thanks!

NEVER MIND! Thanks for your post on jumping...answered this question! See: Guide to jumping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.