Misha Nosiara
Australia
Como
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

When at the St Antias sanctuary, if you heal it says gain a life. Can this go above your starting life? If so it's a change from Talisman where healing is only up to your starting life.

Thanks,

Misha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misha Nosiara
Australia
Como
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this has been discussed but not resolved in the 'Life Gain Question' thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misha99 wrote:
Hello,

When at the St Antias sanctuary, if you heal it says gain a life. Can this go above your starting life? If so it's a change from Talisman where healing is only up to your starting life.

Thanks,

Misha

I would assume that you cannot go above your starting life unless something states to the contrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misha99 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,

Misha

IIRC, in Talisman there was a difference between "gaining life" and "healing". Healing could not take you past your life point maximum, but gaining could.
That's how we've been playing the "St. Antias Sanctuary". Gain 1 life, regardless of how many your character has. If the character is still below his life max, and has influence to spend, he may buy more lives up to his life max.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that specifically stated in the Talisman rulebook? I try to be very literal when I play games and go by rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Misha99 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,

Misha

IIRC, in Talisman there was a difference between "gaining life" and "healing". Healing could not take you past your life point maximum, but gaining could.
That's how we've been playing the "St. Antias Sanctuary". Gain 1 life, regardless of how many your character has. If the character is still below his life max, and has influence to spend, he may buy more lives up to his life max.
TK

That's specifically for Talisman. Relic does not make the distinction. The word "heal" isn't used anywhere.

You can gain as much as life as you want unless something tells you that you cannot go above your starting.

The text box in that space says to gain 1. Then says you can gain more by buying it. And you can't go above your starting. The question is if the clause about not going above your starting applies only to the buying of life, or to the entire text box. I'd rule the latter and say you cannot use that space to go above your starting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Is that specifically stated in the Talisman rulebook? I try to be very literal when I play games and go by rules as written.

That IS specifically stated in the Talisman rules. But we're playing Relic. People keep bringing rules over from that game to this. Don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

From the 2nd edition rules (2nd edition was the "colorized" version of the 1st edition):
4:4 Gaining Lives
Lives are gained as the result of Encounters of Healing(4:6).
4:5
There is no limit to the number of Lives a Character may have.
4:6 Healing
Healing can never restore a Character to more than 4 Lives.

So...we played characters at places like "The Pool of Life" could grab any lives they found, but healing in the City or other places had a max of 4.

"Relic" uses the words "Gain" and "Heal" as well. I know there there have been other versions of Talisman since 2nd edition, and these may have different rules. I'm with you in that I always like to know the "official" version, but until we get a FAQ, we've chosen to play as before.
TK
PS Now that I look at the board, the word "Heal" is NOT on the Sanctuary. We'll still continue to play as above until we see the FAQ (and perhaps even after.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

From the 2nd edition rules (2nd edition was the "colorized" version of the 1st edition):
4:4 Gaining Lives
Lives are gained as the result of Encounters of Healing(4:6).
4:5
There is no limit to the number of Lives a Character may have.
4:6 Healing
Healing can never restore a Character to more than 4 Lives.

So...we played characters at places like "The Pool of Life" could grab any lives they found, but healing in the City or other places had a max of 4.

"Relic" uses the words "Gain" and "Heal" as well. I know there there have been other versions of Talisman since 2nd edition, and these may have different rules. I'm with you in that I always like to know the "official" version, but until we get a FAQ, we've chosen to play as before.
TK
PS Now that I look at the board, the word "Heal" is NOT on the Sanctuary. We'll still continue to play as above until we see the FAQ (and perhaps even after.)

Play it how you wish, but realize that you're using rules for a different game. Relic is not Talisman. The Relic rulebook does not ever make the distinction between gaining and healing. The way they separate them out is by saying "you can't go above your starting" whenever you can't, and not saying otherwise when you can.

That text box says you can't. What I DON'T know is if, when it says you can't, it's just referring to when you buy life, or to the entire box. An FAQ would be great, and I'm sure is coming eventually!

Overall I don't think it's a huge issue (1 life versus not 1 life), so play it however you enjoy! It's way fun (and the wife is liking it even more than Talisman, so it's actually getting to the table!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

That IS specifically stated in the Talisman rules. But we're playing Relic. People keep bringing rules over from that game to this. Don't.

I was simply asking out of curiosity. I've never played Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:

Play it how you wish...

Thanks. For a minute there, I was afraid you were going to insist we play it some other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misha Nosiara
Australia
Como
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, good discussion. I'm going to err on the side of an easier game and assume Gain 1 life means you can go over your starting life.

Had an enjoyable first game, Ratling sniper beating the Inquisitor in a very close game. Only two spaces separated them on the inner tier. The sniper had great dice there, while the inquisitor lost a lot of lives and assets, but went into the inner tier at 12 lives, so had a good cushion.

Favoutite items so far? Suppression shield to stop enemy exploding dice was great, as was the relic that increases starting life by 4 and adds 4 lives. As with Talisman, the game produces game 'moments'. Like overcoming 2 huge enemies with a combined strength of 19, by outrageous exploding dice.

Regards

Misha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Misha99 wrote:
Thanks guys, good discussion. I'm going to err on the side of an easier game and assume Gain 1 life means you can go over your starting life.

Had an enjoyable first game, Ratling sniper beating the Inquisitor in a very close game. Only two spaces separated them on the inner tier. The sniper had great dice there, while the inquisitor lost a lot of lives and assets, but went into the inner tier at 12 lives, so had a good cushion.

Favoutite items so far? Suppression shield to stop enemy exploding dice was great, as was the relic that increases starting life by 4 and adds 4 lives. As with Talisman, the game produces game 'moments'. Like overcoming 2 huge enemies with a combined strength of 19, by outrageous exploding dice.

Regards

Misha

Sounds fun! Regarding life, as long as everyone in your game does in the same, I doubt it matters much.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Simser
United States
California
flag msg tools
The first life is free regardless of your starting life limit... the purchasing of additional lives is limited to your starting life limit so that you just can't buy your life up to level 12.

It's a built in protection system against those who might be swimming in influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stile2112 wrote:
The first life is free regardless of your starting life limit... the purchasing of additional lives is limited to your starting life limit so that you just can't buy your life up to level 12.

You might be in the minority with this take, most I've seen seem to consider the limit applying even on the free one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Simser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
Stile2112 wrote:

You might be in the minority with this take, most I've seen seem to consider the limit applying even on the free one.

I beg to differ.. there are several posts that state exactly what I stated.

What about the Ogryn? He gains life as he levels up. He would be penalized if he wasn't able to get the rewards of the levels if he was held to his starting life limit.

In my opinion is that the life dial goes to 12 for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
No one's talking about characters leveling up. The OP was about the St. Antias space.

When a character gains life from leveling, they can go over their starting. In fact, characters can gain as much life as possible (max 12) from any source unless something says otherwise.

St. Antias says otherwise.

The only question is if that saying of the otherwise applies both healing effects of the space. Since it's three separate sentences, I believe it does, but that'll be answered in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Response from FFG:

Quote:
The last sentence on both the Apothecarium Sepha and St. Antias' Sanctuary spaces ("You cannot exceed your starting Life value.") applies to the entire effect printed in that box. In other words, you may not "gain 1 Life" if it would cause you to exceed your starting Life value.

Like I guessed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misha Nosiara
Australia
Como
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update.

Regards

Misha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.