Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is the following right?

on my turn 1st. i must roll a dice to see how to move
2nd. i have to choose if i ll move now or do an action first, but in the end i ll have to move anyway.

is this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark keedwell
United Kingdom
weston super mare
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
movement of dice roll + your base movement = your movement you can take ie if collin rolls 3 on dice plus his base movement 2 he can move 5 places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You must roll the die, yes. You don't have to use any or all of the movement points it gives you, and you can take your action before or after moving, but you must roll the die: that becomes important in certain parts of the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only have to roll the die before your move phase. So if you are going to move first and then take an action, you would roll the die at the start of your turn. But if you are going to take your action first and then move, you roll the die after taking the action and before moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, you must roll a die every turn when moving, whether it be before or after an action; or when using all movement points or none of them. Realistically, it is not necessary except where there are specific rules relating to movement issues. Eg, end of chapter 1 with the Crow portion of proceedings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
You only have to roll the die before your move phase. So if you are going to move first and then take an action, you would roll the die at the start of your turn. But if you are going to take your action first and then move, you roll the die after taking the action and before moving.

I disagree with the timing of the roll here. In looking at the downloaded rulebook I have (I haven't checked my printed rulebook for differences) it says:

Rulebook page 8: Mouse Movement wrote:
At the start of a mouse turn, the player controlling that mouse must roll an action die...Add the number rolled on the action die to the mouse’s move value to determine the number of spaces that mouse can move on that turn.

The roll should be done at the beginning of a mouse's turn, prior to any actions the mouse performs.

As far as whether it matters in a given situation when you roll varies. For instance, if the threat of the Crow is about and you attack first (kill a minion), roll for movement (get a 1), the Crow does a damage point to you (happens to be your last), and you get captured - you should never have been able to damage that minion because the movement roll should have happened at the beginning. Similarly, you wouldn't be able to cast a heal spell or down a potion if you were low on hit points and worried about the crow getting you.

Granted, the situations where it is important what order that roll happens in are fairly rare, and backtracking if you mess it up isn't tough, but to keep things simple we always just roll at the beginning as the rules state.

Edit: Clarifying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mythos999 wrote:
i have to choose if i ll move now or do an action first, but in the end i ll have to move anyway.

Just realized I only addressed the rolling the die part of your question...

While rolling the die is compulsory at the start of your turn, spending those movement points is not. Some support from the rulebook would be:

Rulebook page 8: Mouse Movement (emphasis mine) wrote:
Example: Prince Collin has a move value of 2 and rolls a 1 on the action die. Prince Collin can move up to 3 spaces on that turn (2+1).

That means that you have the option to "move" zero spaces. So technically you still perform a movement, it just happens have no noticeable result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you all, i am sure how to do it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.