BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: The Anime Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was in Cassie chat, and discussion turned to Anime recommendations. Since I couldn't find a thread about it, here it is.

Awesome shows, in no particular order:
-Hikaru no Go - An anime about Go. And the story is actually good.

-.hack//Sign - In the future, there's an all immersive MMORPG called "The World". This covers the story of a group of characters in that world, and the strange happenings. It also covers the people playing those characters, but not in a direct way. The OST is in my music playlist.

-Steins;Gate - A show about time travel. That was all that I needed, basically. However, it's a pretty good show.

-Death Note - The main character finds a notebook. Said notebook makes whoever's name is written on it die. Pretty cool show, even if it lags a bit in the middle.

-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Very hard show to describe. I won't really try. It's not for everyone. If it's for you, though, you'll love it. It was for me.

-Cowboy Bebop - Bounty hunters in space. If you need more... Well, even if you do, still a great show.

Well, I said in no particular order, but this one is kinda different. Excel Saga - A comedy show where the protagonist's companion dies every episode. This basically pokes fun at a lot of anime show types and cliches. It's kind of meta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the culprits of the chat. Yes there are so many of them. yet so few good ones.

My favorites...

Cowboy Bebop - Noir meets scifi with the ragtag bunch of mercenaries Spike, Jet, Faye, Ed, and *woof* Ein. The best there is. Period. Such style and music and dialogue and plots and action and stillness.

and best theme ever...

Samurai Champloo - Two samurais, one wild and reckless, the other disciplined and well-mannered become indebted to a ditzy waitress and are forced to help her find the samurai "who smells of sunflowers". One of the better traditional looking samurai things I've seen.

Berserk - A sword and sorcery type of fantasy. Heavy action. A warrior kicks butt basically. THe first few have him battling a snake god that is oppressing a city. Really creepy stuff at times.

Ranma 1/2 - A classic comedy (In a genre that is not known for actually funny comedies). A boy and his grandfather fall into cursed pools that transform them, the boy into a girl and the grandfather into...a giant panda.

more when i find them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Berserk.

Fullmetal alchemist: Brotherhood. Yes please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really cute:

Little Witch Academia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eighteen years ago I watched fifty hours of Maison Ikkuko over three days. No reason to watch further anime, that perfected the medium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Eighteen years ago I watched fifty hours of Maison Ikkuko over three days. No reason to watch further anime, that perfected the medium.
Meh. This kind of romance/comedy shows never really grab me. The story actually seems less fantastical than most other animes in the genre, but still, meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
This is really cute:

Little Witch Academia
I'll grant the cuteness, and that episode has me intrigued, but it seems the basic story of "useless newbie wields power that others can't".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
jmilum wrote:
This is really cute:

Little Witch Academia
I'll grant the cuteness, and that episode has me intrigued, but it seems the basic story of "useless newbie wields power that others can't".
By the way, Hikaru no Go is kinda in this genre, but it takes it in a serious direction, and has some twists and turns to the story that actually might make it interesting for others that are not into Go as I am.

Phelanpt wrote:

I think you can watch it for free on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/hikaru-no-go
I can't, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Princess Tutu is the most bizarre anime I've ever watched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluelise wrote:
There's a few I know of that contend for that title.
-The above Excel Saga.
And 3 I've only seen loose episodes of:
-Nichijou, it's a perfectly ordinary* show about perfectly ordinary* high school boys doing perfectly ordinary* stuff:
*for given values of perfectly ordinary.
-FLCL, which I have no idea how to describe:
And Yakitate!! Japan, which is about bread: (Turn on CCs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge cowboy bebop fan, which is why I never remember Statsig/Ben's dog's name and always call him Ein (the other one has only three legs, so totes obvs I call him "Lucky"). Bubblegum crisis is one of my favorites, as is trigun. Have a special place in my heart for tenchi. MyMike and I sort of lost the anime bug not long after ghost in a shell stand alone complex was coming out, so we never finished with that series. Also wished I'd gotten to the end of that one with the girl who was the other girl reincarnated that liked the boy who was also a dog or a demon or something and went around collecting some crystal that shattered after falling into a well or something. It looked cute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, almost forgot about a very relevant one to our community: Wolf's Rain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:

You rang?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the music, one of my favorites is
The Vision of Escaflowne

A new one that's very good is
Sword Art Online
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:

You rang?
Did you know about the new Go manga? Crow in a Starry Sky(Hoshizora no Karasu)
I'm pretty curious about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
The Vision of Escaflowne

Sword Art Online
Escaflowne had great music. But I stopped watching after about 10 episodes, I think. Don't remember why, but something wasn't grabbing me any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
bluelise wrote:

I enjoyed that one. Another wierd & funny anime that made me laugh is
Abenobashi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed TwoEggs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Phelanpt wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
The Vision of Escaflowne

Sword Art Online
Escaflowne had great music. But I stopped watching after about 10 episodes, I think. Don't remember why, but something wasn't grabbing me any more.

Hmmmm.. I liked it a lot, though my favorite scene was probably from the first episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:

You rang?
Did you know about the new Go manga? Crow in a Starry Sky(Hoshizora no Karasu)
I'm pretty curious about it.

I did not. Thank you. It's harder for me to get into shojo manga, but there's a few gems that have sucked me in. Hope it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
Oh, almost forgot about a very relevant one to our community: Wolf's Rain

I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANTED to like wolf's rain when i first saw it. But I did not. It went the way of pretentious vampire things and things like TWilight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Hope it ain't so. I watched the first few episodes at the time, and never finished it. I'm getting it again to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About the only anime I watch these days are DBZ/YGO Abridged, and the occasional Miyazaki movie on DVD.

(Avatar doesn't count as anime, right?)

I remember watching Azumanga Daioh back at uni and enjoying it, and bits of things like .hack and Lain and Utena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
About the only anime I watch these days are DBZ/YGO Abridged, and the occasional Miyazaki movie on DVD.
There's a Hikaru no Go Abridged. It's pretty funny.

BlackSheep wrote:
(Avatar doesn't count as anime, right?)
I'm not quite sure. I think I'd count it, the animation style is pretty close. But that might have something to do with me searching for the "original, undubbed version" of Avatar a while back. whistle

BlackSheep wrote:
I remember watching Azumanga Daioh back at uni and enjoying it, and bits of things like .hack and Lain and Utena.
Serial Experiments Lain is weird. I never finished it, but I've read that it was written from the start to be obscure on purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I briefly was into anime in undergrad (because many of my friends were), but I largely moved out of that because I found a lot of the gender politics troubling (except for Miyazaki's stuff and the other occasional exception).

Cowboy Bebop is probably my favorite anime series. The music is gorgeous, it's entertaining and has some nice story arcs without ever dragging on. Plus, the soundtrack is incredible.

I remember I enjoyed Now and Then, Here and There, in a BSG "Oh god everything is horrible and life is useless" depression sort of way.

I found Excel Saga (the undubbed version--Excel's English voice actress is like nails on a chalkboard) entertaining at times, especially when you have the DVDs so you can turn on the little bits of info pop-ups that explain some of the more obscure jokes.

I liked the couple of episodes of .hack//sign I saw, and the music is ridiculously good, but I never got around to watching the whole thing.

I watched a few discs of Evangelion but really never got into it.

Regarding movies, I haven't seen a ton. Spirited Away is probably my favorite Miyazaki, followed by Princess Mononoke. I enjoyed Ponyo but though it was a bit less coherent than his other stuff. Nausicaa was okay but didn't feel like anything too special.

The first Ghost in the Shell movie was alright, but I found the sequel a bit meh. I'll be honest and say I've never seen the appeal of Akira, after having seen it twice.

Oh! There was one anime movie I saw that I thought was just fantastic: Millenium Actress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkerie32 wrote:
Also wished I'd gotten to the end of that one with the girl who was the other girl reincarnated that liked the boy who was also a dog or a demon or something and went around collecting some crystal that shattered after falling into a well or something.

Inu Yasha? I really liked it for awhile, particularly the manga, and then suddenly got sick of it for reasons I don't remember.

Oh! I forgot one other I liked. I remember being SUPER into Rurouni Kenshin for the first couple seasons. I don't think I ever finished it, but I don't think it was anything to do with the show, but just me not having access to a season and then just sort of giving up, or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.