Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend, my brother and I dusted this game off to try an idea that came to me at work. The biggest change we made was to roll ALL the dice, then move a figure for each die rolled by taking turns.

Rules after the changes:

1. Roll to see who is first player.

2. Both players roll their collection of dice for all to see.

3. Starting with the first player and taking turns, choose one die and move a figure of that color up to the die. Players can choose what order to move their figures, and battles are not done until all figures are moved. Figures may NOT move past a figure they make contact with, and contacted figures may NOT be chosen to move. (you may decide NOT to move a figure for 1 die by discarding that die, so are not FORCED to move any figures)

4. After all figures have been moved battle ensues. In battle, you roll ALL appropriate dice for figures in that blocking group. Each player, in turn order, chooses a die to block with, removing it from the pool.

5. After all the destruction, passes are made.

While the changes do NOT shorten the game, it makes it a MUCH more strategic game. The original rules made the game seem more like a footrace with a ball on the field. This makes it seem more like a team running a play. The player can choose to play defensively, aggressively, or a combination of the two. The only other change we discussed, but did not try, was to change the length of the board or to move the teams closer to the center of the field to start. I guess you could also play it more like a real game and flip for the kickoff, let the team start on the 20 with the ball, and march the ball up the field.. We were trying to stay true to the original concept of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant idea and thanks 4 sharing cool -gonna give ur variant a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
Good idea !
I will try this.
I like bloodbowl, dreadball, but I like battleball too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting idea!

So you can move one figure of each color type then, it would appear. Is that correct?

I guess you would need extra dice or maybe just scrap paper to record numbers if you have multiple figures of the same color involved in tackles. Like, for example, if I move one of my green figures into tackle position, and my opponent moves one of his figures adjacent to my other green guy. I'd need to roll 2d12 in that case. Do I get to see my opponent's rolls before deciding which d12 to assign to each of my figures?

EDIT: I have another question. How do passes and handoffs work? Can I do them in the middle of my move, or must I wait until all of my moves have been completed? Also, the original rules only allow for a pass or handoff if there are no figures in tackle position. I assume you'd have to waive that rule for this variant, since it's extremely likely that every turn is going to result in figures in tackle position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Very interesting idea!

So you can move one figure of each color type then, it would appear. Is that correct?

Yes, one figure of each color type... For the yellows, roll both dice. If you get doubles, yellows cannot move (per huge figure rules) otherwise you choose which one to move.

cbs42 wrote:
I guess you would need extra dice or maybe just scrap paper to record numbers if you have multiple figures of the same color involved in tackles. Like, for example, if I move one of my green figures into tackle position, and my opponent moves one of his figures adjacent to my other green guy. I'd need to roll 2d12 in that case. Do I get to see my opponent's rolls before deciding which d12 to assign to each of my figures?

Honestly, we never had that come up so we never discussed it. We have a set of dice for each team (multiple copies of the game helps!) We treated each "grouping" as a separate battle. Chances were very low that you would have more than 1 of the same color in each battle. I think I could rule that, if you have more than 1 of a color in a battle, you still only roll 1 die of that color. If your first green gets taken out, you would still have a chance to use the green die.

Example:
Grouping 1
Me ->Green,Yellow, Red,Red....
You ->Blue, Yellow, Green, Green....

I secretly choose my yellow You secretly choose your green... roll off and determine winner.

I secretly choose my red you secretly choose your other green... roll off and determine winner.

Continue till last die. If a side has an extra die to roll, it is an auto success. It can automatically seriously injure an already defeated figure OR it gets 1 free hit on the other teams figure (owners choice)

cbs42 wrote:

EDIT: I have another question. How do passes and handoffs work? Can I do them in the middle of my move, or must I wait until all of my moves have been completed? Also, the original rules only allow for a pass or handoff if there are no figures in tackle position. I assume you'd have to waive that rule for this variant, since it's extremely likely that every turn is going to result in figures in tackle position.

Passes happen AFTER the battles... Handoffs happen during the movement. I believe we had it happen once. The handoff figure moves, hands off, then the receiving figure gets to immediately use its movement.... the handing off figures move ends immediately at the point of handoff.

Example:

Red has the ball, rolled an 8. It moves 6, hands off to black who rolled a 7. Red stops, black can move its full move. The balance is that, yes you get to move 2 figures, but you have fewer figures for the rest of that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it out yet, but it looks very promising. It looks like it has the potential to make it feel like it is more of a team game. I am considering taking it a step further and making it so that once a piece has moved, it can't move again until the other pieces that haven't moved move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.